• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

James Bond XXIV: SPECTRE - "You're a kite dancing in a hurricane Mr. Bond."

235 posts in this topic

Spectre director Sam Mendes confirms he is done with 007 and explains why

"The pronouncements after the last movie were taken seriously and I then had to undo them when I agreed to make this movie. Without giving too much away, the difference here for me is, this movie draws together all four of Daniel’s movies into one final story, and he completes a journey. That wasn’t the case last time. There is a sense of completeness that wasn’t there at the end of Skyfall, and that’s what makes this feel different. It feels like there’s a rightness to it, that I have finished a journey. I’m not talking about Daniel here because Daniel may absolutely turn around six months’ time and feel his energy renewed. Or he might say just the opposite. If he is as sensible as I think he is, he needs to go away and have some time to think and do another job that’s completely different, which he’s already doing with Othello."

Music to my ears.

I saw Spectre in IMAX on Saturday night at the Kips Bay Theater in NYC.

I thought Skyfall was very good and I walked out of Spectre with just a big a smile. I felt that there were a couple of hokey scenes that seemed like it was a departure from the Craig Bonds and more of a throwback to Connery, specifically the Monica Bellucci scene.

Overall the opening was brilliant and as always, I cannot think of a single action adventure movie that does it better than Bond when it comes to location and cinematography.

Spectre

Domestic: $176,056,967 (23.5%)

Foreign $573,500,000 (76.5%)

Worldwide: $749,556,967

Looks like the Bond franchise is doing okay. It's already at 3X budget. It still has one more major market to open in.

Japan: 4 December 2015

Finally saw SPECTRE today (I hate crowds; I usually wait about a month before going to see a film, and even then only if it's the first showing). Really hard to overstate how awful it is. Too long, too disjointed and with even more ridiculously unbelievable plot-points than Skyfall (you're really just going to take a ride in a '48 Rolls to Oberhauser's desert lair??). Just terrible. This is the worst of the four Craig Bonds. Yes, I just re-watched Quantum of Solace the other night and, at least that was a decent Jason Bourne rip-off. SPECTRE was just a hot mess. Ugh; I thought it would at least be as good as Skyfall (which was worse the second time around when I saw it again a few weeks ago), but this was bloody awful, a colossal disappointment. Definitely time for a reboot with a new director and a new Bond. 2c

10 Directors Who Should Helm the Next James Bond Film

Bennett Miller

Speaking of outside the box, Bennett Miller is a fascinating guy. The filmmaker behind Capote and Moneyball is another “not so obvious” choice, but he’s flirted with franchise filmmaking before—he was in the mix to take the helm of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire before ultimately passing in order to realize his passion project, Foxcatcher. But Moneyball proves he can handle studio filmmaking with ease while still making the project incredibly personal, and the guy has a really strong handle on character, so I think he’d make for a fascinating left-of-center choice to steer a different kind of Bond entry.

Tom Hooper

Here’s another filmmaker who has expressed his desire to direct a Bond film in the past. The Oscar-winning The King’s Speech and Les Miserables director may at first glance seem like an odd choice, but then again so did Mendes when he was first announced for Skyfall. In fact, in a recent interview with us, Hooper himself admitted that he’s looking to do something significantly different for his next feature after releasing the period drama The Danish Girl, so James Bond could be right up his alley. I’m not exactly convinced he’s the right choice to direct a Bond picture (Les Miserables was a departure for Hooper and didn’t turn out great), but I am incredibly curious to see what, exactly, a “Tom Hooper James Bond film” looks like.

Finally saw SPECTRE today (I hate crowds; I usually wait about a month before going to see a film, and even then only if it's the first showing). Really hard to overstate how awful it is. Too long, too disjointed and with even more ridiculously unbelievable plot-points than Skyfall (you're really just going to take a ride in a '48 Rolls to Oberhauser's desert lair??). Just terrible. This is the worst of the four Craig Bonds. Yes, I just re-watched Quantum of Solace the other night and, at least that was a decent Jason Bourne rip-off. SPECTRE was just a hot mess. Ugh; I thought it would at least be as good as Skyfall (which was worse the second time around when I saw it again a few weeks ago), but this was bloody awful, a colossal disappointment. Definitely time for a reboot with a new director and a new Bond. 2c

I still have not seen this yet.

What turned me off was Craig continually moaning how he doesn`t want to play the role anymore. It`s a turn off.

Time to get a new James Bond who will appreciate the opportunity.

I still have not seen this yet.

What turned me off was Craig continually moaning how he doesn`t want to play the role anymore. It`s a turn off.

Time to get a new James Bond who will appreciate the opportunity.

That bugged me as well. Though I get it with all the injuries he has experienced, this can make you a little edgy with a role.

But no reason to publicly talk bad about a role that has taken you to a much higher level in your career.