• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Margie Comics #36

7 posts in this topic

I recently obtained this book. It came graded by that "new" company. First book I have from them. I was curious what grade you guys would give it. Very tiny chip out at bottom spine. Top of spine has a tiny abrasion. Very slight bend to the right of the letter "E" on back cover. Book is flat with no creases or tears. And of course, the writing in upper left corner. What do you think? I will reveal what they said after you render your opinions. (sorry for the glare) Thanks!

commargie36a_zpsgrnot4q5.jpg

commargie36b_zps5d5uysvc.jpg

For me it's tricky with writing on the cover. At what point do you start deducting for it? Usually dates and distributor marks don't hurt as long as they are reasonably unobtrusive. Names and large initials are a bit different, even pedigree related ones. They should knock a little off, at least in the higher grades, even if the book is more desirable because of them. At some point it can be become so much that it starts defacing the book. But with the grading companies, especially with sig series books, pretty much ignoring or minimizing the impact of writing on the cover, deducting for it may be a thing of the past.

this book isn't that bad, it's a small personal message, written on a white part of the cover, but I still come up short of 8.0, but if the grading company decided that the abrasion is production related, I could see this book going as high as 9.0 in a slab.

It's hard to tell with the glare on the slab.....what's a defect and what's reflection ? Still, I see a lot to like about the book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It was graded 7.5. It's a nice book but I had no idea what the writing would do to the grade. A simple name is one thing but this seems like a lot in a white area. Funny how if it said Lamont Larson it would probably help the grade... Thanks for your opinions guys.