• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Catrick's Brag Thread

73 posts in this topic

Time to share!

I've gotten a few PM's from folks asking about this and that, so I'm going to post some of the more interesting things out of my batch of shards.

Tonight, the front covers only, that didn't match up with any books or back covers.

Star Rangers 1, FC only.

mpWftHw.jpg

Best Comics 1, that oddball sideways comic from 1939.

And Dave Sim thought he was being original 60 years later, lol

U3vK2DT.jpg

I really like Everett's early stuff.

Oh, and to mention in passing MANY of these covers had good readable arrival dates on them. I really enjoy having a good stamped date on a GA comic.

Also in the Front Covers Only stack:

Famous Funnies 52

Popular Comics 4

Feature Comics 30

First two are pretty rough, the feature ain't bad.

And I believe when all is said and done, I only have two back covers, and 4 early strip reprint coverless comics that are still unidentified.

And I have the strip reprint books narrowed down pretty well, there are two Ace Comics in the single digits, a couple Famous Funnies in the 30 to 50 range, one or two others.

Can't recommend the Grand Comic Database at Comic.Org enough, that's a tremendous asset for these kinds of accumulations.

Ayep, the actual image is intact and gorgeous. Good paper condition, offwhite-white, with decent gloss, no wear at all in the center, the trouble's all on that poor tore up spine.

I had a copy of 37 some years back, owned a coverless 2 a couple years ago, and there's a coverless complete copy of Detective 24 in the stack. THREE issues off, lol. Somehow without actually trying to do so, I'm becoming an aficionado of pre-Robin 'tecs. The thing is, I can't afford to collect Action AND Detective, and my first love is Superman, so these pieces will eventually go up for sale.

I had headed over to see Lunatic Lowgrade Guy, a buddy of mine on the east side of the state, last Saturday. Stopped at the local library to see what was available at the Friends of the Library book sale, noticed there was a flea market just down the street.

Ambled over and dug through everything, met a couple dealer acquaintances who were set up there. One of them introduced me to a gent who had a bunch of loose leaf folders standing up in a document box, said he had old comic parts and wanted to know what he might be able to do with them.

I chatted with the gent for quite a while, went through some of the stuff, pulled out four items I thought were the best of the bunch, and told him what I thought they might be worth in a retail situation, and gave him some advice as how to market them.

I also told him that if he didn't want to fuss with the stuff I'd be glad to buy it and gave him a pretty aggressive offer. He allowed as how he and his brother had been cleaning out his parents' estate and found the stacks of stuff, and he couldn't accept any offers without checking with his brother first.

Left my contact information with him, visited Lowgrade Lunatic Guy, bought a bunch of cool 50's stuff from HIM, and went home nearly a longbox to the good.

ANNOUNCEMENT

Look for another Catrick's Cornucopia sales thread some time in April, lol

Fellow called me up Sunday morning, told me they had decided they didn't want to fuss with the stuff, and accepted my offer. We met up, I handed over a nice pile of cash, he handed over the document box and we parted ways, both of us grinning widely.

I spent the rest of the day Sunday and all evening last night doing my research and sponging more research off the nice folks here on the Boards, and now I know just what everything is, with the exception of the two back covers in the other thread, one CF that I can't pin down to an exact issue, and a handful of strip reprint books I can only nail down to a range. not a specific issue.

Great batch of stuff, and I've had as much fun as can be had out of bed, lol

Oh, and the Big Four that I based my cash offer on were the 'tec cover, The Funnies 1, Detective 40, complete but rat chewed upper RH FC, and one item that I'm not revealing while I'm still looking for some parts for it.

I looked through most of the rest of the items, but the coverless stuff was basically impossible to ID while standing in a parking lot, ditto the loose pages and back covers, so I did a quick count, figured X dollars per unit, times Y unit, plus the Big Four, and made my offer, all while giving him the best advice I could as to how to piece out all this stuff if he wanted to.

He didn't want to, lol

I really like Everett's early stuff.

Oh, and to mention in passing MANY of these covers had good readable arrival dates on them. I really enjoy having a good stamped date on a GA comic.

I knew there was something I liked about you Rick :luhv:

Okay, enough fun for the evening, time to do some chores.

I may be back tomorrow with scans of some of the full covers. Some highlights of the front and back covers?

Here's a taste:

Silver Streak 3 and 5, early Zip and Jackpots, New Adventure 18 and 24

G'night all!

I would say the mouse had good taste with the Tec cover Rick lol

Okay, last post for the evening.

The mouse must've been an art lover, it avoided everything important on the cover except a small bite out of the logo, and it ate away juuuuust enough of the paper that the missing pieces baaaaarely brush the art in one panel on three of the first four leaves. Everything is still readable, huzzah!

Now that's one thoughtful mouse.