• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Catrick's Brag Thread

73 posts in this topic

I would say the mouse had good taste with the Tec cover Rick lol

Okay, last post for the evening.

The mouse must've been an art lover, it avoided everything important on the cover except a small bite out of the logo, and it ate away juuuuust enough of the paper that the missing pieces baaaaarely brush the art in one panel on three of the first four leaves. Everything is still readable, huzzah!

Now that's one thoughtful mouse.

lol great stuff Rickster loved reading the acquisition story!! Gosh i enjoy these boards!!! can't wait for the peices and parts sales extravaganza!!

I had headed over to see Lunatic Lowgrade Guy, a buddy of mine on the east side of the state, last Saturday. Stopped at the local library to see what was available at the Friends of the Library book sale, noticed there was a flea market just down the street.

Ambled over and dug through everything, met a couple dealer acquaintances who were set up there. One of them introduced me to a gent who had a bunch of loose leaf folders standing up in a document box, said he had old comic parts and wanted to know what he might be able to do with them.

I chatted with the gent for quite a while, went through some of the stuff, pulled out four items I thought were the best of the bunch, and told him what I thought they might be worth in a retail situation, and gave him some advice as how to market them.

I also told him that if he didn't want to fuss with the stuff I'd be glad to buy it and gave him a pretty aggressive offer. He allowed as how he and his brother had been cleaning out his parents' estate and found the stacks of stuff, and he couldn't accept any offers without checking with his brother first.

Left my contact information with him, visited Lowgrade Lunatic Guy, bought a bunch of cool 50's stuff from HIM, and went home nearly a longbox to the good.

ANNOUNCEMENT

Look for another Catrick's Cornucopia sales thread some time in April, lol

Fellow called me up Sunday morning, told me they had decided they didn't want to fuss with the stuff, and accepted my offer. We met up, I handed over a nice pile of cash, he handed over the document box and we parted ways, both of us grinning widely.

I spent the rest of the day Sunday and all evening last night doing my research and sponging more research off the nice folks here on the Boards, and now I know just what everything is, with the exception of the two back covers in the other thread, one CF that I can't pin down to an exact issue, and a handful of strip reprint books I can only nail down to a range. not a specific issue.

Great batch of stuff, and I've had as much fun as can be had out of bed, lol

Oh, and the Big Four that I based my cash offer on were the 'tec cover, The Funnies 1, Detective 40, complete but rat chewed upper RH FC, and one item that I'm not revealing while I'm still looking for some parts for it.

I looked through most of the rest of the items, but the coverless stuff was basically impossible to ID while standing in a parking lot, ditto the loose pages and back covers, so I did a quick count, figured X dollars per unit, times Y unit, plus the Big Four, and made my offer, all while giving him the best advice I could as to how to piece out all this stuff if he wanted to.

He didn't want to, lol

I had headed over to see Lunatic Lowgrade Guy, a buddy of mine on the east side of the state, last Saturday. Stopped at the local library to see what was available at the Friends of the Library book sale, noticed there was a flea market just down the street.

Ambled over and dug through everything, met a couple dealer acquaintances who were set up there. One of them introduced me to a gent who had a bunch of loose leaf folders standing up in a document box, said he had old comic parts and wanted to know what he might be able to do with them.

I chatted with the gent for quite a while, went through some of the stuff, pulled out four items I thought were the best of the bunch, and told him what I thought they might be worth in a retail situation, and gave him some advice as how to market them.

I also told him that if he didn't want to fuss with the stuff I'd be glad to buy it and gave him a pretty aggressive offer. He allowed as how he and his brother had been cleaning out his parents' estate and found the stacks of stuff, and he couldn't accept any offers without checking with his brother first.

Left my contact information with him, visited Lowgrade Lunatic Guy, bought a bunch of cool 50's stuff from HIM, and went home nearly a longbox to the good.

ANNOUNCEMENT

Look for another Catrick's Cornucopia sales thread some time in April, lol

Fellow called me up Sunday morning, told me they had decided they didn't want to fuss with the stuff, and accepted my offer. We met up, I handed over a nice pile of cash, he handed over the document box and we parted ways, both of us grinning widely.

I spent the rest of the day Sunday and all evening last night doing my research and sponging more research off the nice folks here on the Boards, and now I know just what everything is, with the exception of the two back covers in the other thread, one CF that I can't pin down to an exact issue, and a handful of strip reprint books I can only nail down to a range. not a specific issue.

Great batch of stuff, and I've had as much fun as can be had out of bed, lol

Oh, and the Big Four that I based my cash offer on were the 'tec cover, The Funnies 1, Detective 40, complete but rat chewed upper RH FC, and one item that I'm not revealing while I'm still looking for some parts for it.

I looked through most of the rest of the items, but the coverless stuff was basically impossible to ID while standing in a parking lot, ditto the loose pages and back covers, so I did a quick count, figured X dollars per unit, times Y unit, plus the Big Four, and made my offer, all while giving him the best advice I could as to how to piece out all this stuff if he wanted to.

He didn't want to, lol

Great story Rick! Sounds like a win win and a whole lot of fun. Your sale looks like it will be right up my alley!

Okay! No time to fire up the scanner tonight, so here's a list of the

coverless complete books in the batch...just to tide you over. Some of

the outer folds are a little rough on some of these but they're all there.

Blue Ribbon 9

Thrilling V2 #1 (#4)

Detective Comics 24

More Fun 29

New Comics tentatively ID'd as #11

New Adventure 29

Superman 12

Smash Comics 3

Adventure 51 (First several leaves chewed, CF intact)

Western Picture Stories 4

More Fun 20

Science Comics 1

Science Comics 5

Popular 28

Popular 9

Crackajack between 9 and 12

Ace Comics single digit, probably #4

Coverless comics, incomplete

Ace 5? at least one fold missing

Funny Pages 38, ditto

Comics on Parade 12 ditto

Feature Funnies between 3 and 12 ditto

Pep Comics 5, missing outer fold

Big Shot 5 missing outer fold

Superman 3 missing several outer, several CF

Flash Comics 8 missing CF

More Fun 67, missing outer fold, one page torn out

of Spectre story, CF intact

New Adventure 25, CFO

Stand alone Centerfolds

Marvel Mystery 4

Flash 9? Not confirmed

Top Notch 9

Amazing Man undetermined CF, could be 10 or 20

Zip Comics 1

Cyclone Comics 1? Not confirmed

Top Notch 6

Green Mask 1

Tip Top 7? Not confirmed

Comics on Parade 9? Not confirmed

White Rider and Super Horse CF, undetermined

CF from a hard boiled detective story, undetermined

One random page from Funny Pages between 36 and 42, first two

pages of a Mad Ming story.

What tremendous fun.

Okay, finishing up some chores, here's one more bit of fun.

When all was said and done, there were 10 complete books out of the batch

Three of them I pieced together out of parts.

Here's the list

Famous Funnies 28

Famous Funnies 34

Magic 18

Feature Comics 38

The Funnies 1

Detective Comics 40

Feature Comics 33

Large Feature 12 (Smilin' Jack)

Mickey Mouse Magazine V3 #7

Bill Barnes V1 #8

Famous Funnies 34, Large Feature 12, and Feature 33 I assembled out of the pieces. The rest were still intact when I got the lot

Here's the last of the fun.

No time tonight for scans, but feel free to request anything you want to see, I have a half day off tomorrow and can play a bit more

Complete front and back covers

Amazing Man 7 (sold)

Star Comics 1

All American 13

All American 15

Amazing Man 15

Blue Bolt V2 #3

Blue Ribbon 2

Fantastic Comics 18

Flash 7

New Adventure 18

New Adventure 24

Pep comics 1

Pep Comics 14

Silver Streak 3

Silver Streak 5

Special Edition 1 (Captain Marvel)

Startling 3

Thrilling 2

Wonderworld 2

Zip 16

Famous Funnies 54

The Funnies 5

The Funnies 10

Funny Pages 11

Funny Pages 41

King Comics 9

Magic Comics 5

Popular 28

Popular 47

Tip Top 6

Tip Top 11

Tip Top 16

Whew, what a trip through prewar comics.

I've been told by more than one person that this is the toughest MLJ title to find.

I believe them, in all the years I believe I've owned a total of three.

Counting this one. Cover only, alas.

KXCnry2.jpg