• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ash vs. The Evil Dead on Starz (10/31/15)

141 posts in this topic

I didn't really care for Season 1*.

I thought it was trying to hard to be as immature as the earlier films.

But, some episodes had moments, but not enough to feel like it was pandering to the die-hard fans.

I grew up watching these movies on vhs religiously through high school too.

Although not a complete return...

WizardWorld Virtual: Ash vs The Evil Dead live reading

Ash vs. Evil Dead!

• Bruce Campbell ("Ash Williams"), Ray Santiago ("Pablo Bolivar"), Dana DeLorenzo ("Kelly Maxwell"), Lee Majors ("Brock Williams")
  • Live Q&A: Saturday, January 9 · 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT
  • Rewatch Party: Wednesday, January 13
  • Live 1v1 Video Chats & Virtual Photo Ops: Saturday, January 16 · 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT

Edited by Bosco685

Actor Bruce Campbell kicked off his journey with the Evil Dead franchise back in 1981, ultimately starring in three films, voicing multiple video games, and even returning to the franchise after two decades away for STARZ's Ash vs. Evil Dead. Despite excitement in the horror community that Campbell returned, the series failed to earn substantial ratings, ultimately leading towards its cancellation after three seasons. Campbell recently looked back on the underwhelming viewership, noting how STARZ didn't have the same recognition among movie fans and how it found a new life when all three seasons of the series debuted on Netflix.

"We knew the ratings were bad after the end of the second season. We just knew it. No one knew what STARZ was," Campbell explained to Collider. "I would say, 'Hey, we're making that as a TV show,' people go, 'Yeah, where can I see it?' 'STARZ.' And there will be a pause, and a pause, and then they would go, 'What's STARZ?' When it dropped on Netflix, people went, 'Hey, Cool. Cool. Netflix is finally doing The Evil Dead show.' I'm like, 'Oh, my God, it was three, three years too late.'"

As if the show getting cancelled in the first place wasn't disappointing enough, Campbell himself shared during production on the series that it would be his final live-action outing as Ash Williams. 

Campbell also went on to express how he felt that the series' lack of popularity at the time on STARZ was a casualty of media companies changing their approach to offering audiences original content as opposed to merely being a library of acquired titles. 

"It's commerce, it's business. You know, these companies were all expanding. AMC led the way, we're not just going to show other people's movies, we're going to make our own original stuff," the actor detailed. "So everyone is making their own original stuff. STARZ used to just show other people's movies. So the new sort of paradigm is you own it. It's gonna cost you a lot of money, but now you own these properties. So STARZ is trying to do the same thing. But no one knew who they were."

Campbell confirmed that talks are happening to revive the series in animation. The actor himself confirmed when he wrapped production on Season 3 that he would be done playing the character in live-action, based on the physical requirements of the concept, but animation allows him to continue the character without the physical exertion.

Additionally, the effectiveness of adult-oriented animated series like Invincible have proven how well mature stories can be told in the medium.

"You can do the future a lot easier in animation. I still sound like Ash, and you know, my voice hasn't been as beat up as my body has been so I can still do that ," Campbell confirmed with Collider. "So I'll still do the video game. And we're already talking about an animated [series]."

Uh no

Unless Raimi wants to make another film or series, let it die 

Bruce Campbell has stated several times that Ash is not his favorite character 

I wouldn't mind seeing a film or series that has Ash passing the torch to someone else to take up the mantle of the Necronomicon keeper, if well done, and somewhat serious 

‘Ash vs Evil Dead’ Finds Spooky New Streaming Home in Time For Halloween

It has been announced that all three seasons of Ash Vs. Evil Dead will be available to stream on Hulu starting October 1. This is a part of the streaming services' scream-inducing Halloween lineup which includes hit new films like The Boogeyman and No One Will Save You.

After the amazing 2013 Evil Dead reboot focused on the new character Mia, the TV series recentered this undead universe’s focus on Ash Williams played by Bruce Campbell. At the same time, it introduced great new characters to the lore played by Dana DeLorenzo, Ray Santiago, and Lucy Lawless. Overall the series did a great job blending the campy horror of the original Evil Dead with the more out there slapstick humor of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. Another amazing hook for the series was seeing Campbell’s Ash play in a modern setting dealing with the younger generation and his “old fashion” personality that would get him hilariously canceled today.