• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure superhero thread

170 posts in this topic

Jon, is that the Larson victory 3?

Yes it is. But it is more than that. It is what I dubbed the "Lost Larson"- this is one of six Larsons that were sold to me AFTER my article came out and was re-printed in the local Wasau Gazzette..

I thought I share an interesting postscript about the Larson article I did for the Overstreet Quarterly. After the article came out, Larson’s hometown newspaper in Nebraska asked if they could reprint the Larson article. I naturally gave my permission. In early January I received my copies (they actually “serialized” it into two parts) of the Wausa Gazette. One actually had a cover of Capt. Marvel prominently displayed.

About two weeks later I received a letter from an boyhood friend of Larson’s (Larson had even been his best man.). They had read with much interest my articles. It prompted an old memory. Recently, he had cleaned out his mother’s house and discovered a box of his old comics. He remembered as a boy that Larson had given him comics after he was done with them. Sure enough they found six books with “Lamont” or “Larson” on them. He wondered if I “might” be interested in them. MIGHT BE!

As described none of the books sounded like they were in particulary good condition. However, driven by curiosity and this incredible quirk of luck that these books even existed I dickered over a price. For the record they are Smash Comics 8, Feature Comics 34, Victory Comics 3, Star Spangled Comics 2, Minute Man Comics 2 and Super Mystery 2/4. None of these books has the classic white pages of the original collection reflecting the unique storage conditions of the originals. No book grades better than a VG+. However, for me and my Larson mania, these lost Larsons will always be special.

JSB 2/1/95 c 2015

neat little piece of esoterial..........

:applause: