• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure superhero thread

170 posts in this topic

Captain Freedom

speed43.jpg

:applause:

This cover's great!

Some sort of Kid Gang, a superhero, a "Mad Scientist", a goofy looking robot, even a little bondage.

The only thing that could make it better is the addition of a few nazis. lol

There are some wonderful books in this thread.

Since most of us don't live in Italy this guy is still pretty obscure... Pretty rough shape unfortunately.

FutureComics2%205CC_zpswjbwagl7.jpg

Not to say, but in Italy (and in a good portion of the whole Europe) this is an absolute pillar. We even have had various Disney pariodies/homages to the characters… lol

hHEmceih.jpg

An original italian book from the 1940s reprints which I recently purchased for RyanH… :)

0eUNYcFh.jpg

That's Rebo, the dictator of Saturn. I believe he's owned by Disney now. It's on the cover of one of the gerber volumes. I can't recall if it's 1 or 2.

It has always been owned by Disney, since it appeared first in 1936 – through Mondadori (which was the Disney licensor in Italy at the time). ;)

Also worth noting that, although the original plot subject was by famous italian writer Cesare Zavattini, the final story and dialogue were by Federico Pedrocchi, which has been the godfather of Disney publishing in Italy, and a true pioneer in establishing a school of italian authors at Mondadori (the publisher of Disney).

In its original form (all were published journal sized, in full color), here’s a page from the fifth episode:

SZV5ufJh.jpg