• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Golden Nuggets" of the Hobby!

26 posts in this topic

Here's how you can stop tape pulls FOREVER!

A simple technique and a little discipline that is well worth the effort.

A close comic friend showed me this and it's so easy I figured I would pass it on.

A. Just take a medium size piece of tape

B. fold over one end 1/4–1/2" (so that the stick sides meet) to create a non-sticky tab (this takes a little practice to get this right).

C. on the back of the Mylar place the tape centered tab down with an even amount of tape on both sides of the mylar flap.

D. This is KEY: Totally remove the pull tab tape completely off the the mylar once you are ready to open and get the comic. Either place the tape on the back of your hand or any where that isn't near the book period!

147961.jpg

Just say NO to tape pulls Baby!

:cloud9:

Yep. Tabs baby... TABS!

:cool:

An alternate version that I use for polybags is having the tape placed so that the tab is on the top (pointing up), so that you only have to peel down the tape until the bag-flap opens instead of removing the tape entirely, that way the tape says on the back of the bag away from the comic.

And if your box not overly-packed (which it shouldn't be anyway) you can put them back without getting the tabs caught on the next book in the box.

But for mylars, I use the "trim&fold-flap-and-double-half-back-hold-back" technique. :cool:

ETA: Yeah, what New Hope said, links and all. :grin:

Tabs are great. I try and do that on my books too.

I always try and do it on books I've sold. Make tabs on the cardboard sandwich to make it easy for the buyer to open. I wish more people would do that. I always get nervous trying to remove tape off the cardboard to get to a book. The tabs would make it so much easier.

Page quality matters. Look for best PQ possible, but be mindful of minimum PQ depending on era:

* Golden Age (C/OW or higher OK).

* Silver Age (OW or higher OK; exception for early SA DCs, then C/OW OK).

* Bronze Age (OW/W or higher OK).

* Copper Age (W).

Here's how you can stop tape pulls FOREVER!

A simple technique and a little discipline that is well worth the effort.

A close comic friend showed me this and it's so easy I figured I would pass it on.

A. Just take a medium size piece of tape

B. fold over one end 1/4–1/2" (so that the stick sides meet) to create a non-sticky tab (this takes a little practice to get this right).

C. on the back of the Mylar place the tape centered tab down with an even amount of tape on both sides of the mylar flap.

D. This is KEY: Totally remove the pull tab tape completely off the the mylar once you are ready to open and get the comic. Either place the tape on the back of your hand or any where that isn't near the book period!

147961.jpg

Just say NO to tape pulls Baby!

:cloud9:

Yep. Tabs baby... TABS!

:cool:

An alternate version that I use for polybags is having the tape placed so that the tab is on the top (pointing up), so that you only have to peel down the tape until the bag-flap opens instead of removing the tape entirely, that way the tape says on the back of the bag away from the comic.

And if your box not overly-packed (which it shouldn't be anyway) you can put them back without getting the tabs caught on the next book in the box.

But for mylars, I use the "trim&fold-flap-and-double-half-back-hold-back" technique. :cool:

ETA: Yeah, what New Hope said, links and all. :grin:

Tabs are great. I try and do that on my books too.

I always try and do it on books I've sold. Make tabs on the cardboard sandwich to make it easy for the buyer to open. I wish more people would do that. I always get nervous trying to remove tape off the cardboard to get to a book. The tabs would make it so much easier.

Important to add to this:

Put TWO tabs on the bag/ mylar, one on each side of the flap.

I am weary of acquiring collections that had only a single piece of tape and finding hundreds of bags with flipped up flaps that are / bent/ folded from having the books lifted up and down in the comic box.