• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any folks here insure their collections?

24 posts in this topic

It was going to be almost $100 a month add on to my homeowners insurance, so I passed. My only concern is fire, and I don't even know anyone who's house has burned down. No kids at home, house less than 10 years old, mostly fire-safe, I have decided. We will see!

For the people with very valuable collections they can take out a fine art clause on their homeowners. Otherwise fire safe and keep away from water damage in a locked secure area.

There is a thread somewhere about how some fire safes degrade comics over time

For the people with very valuable collections they can take out a fine art clause on their homeowners. Otherwise fire safe and keep away from water damage in a locked secure area.

In general, that's a pretty bad idea as a homeowners insurance is usually not set up to correctly deal with insurance for collectibles.

You'd be much better off insuring through a company that actually specializes in these things - like collectinsure.com (which are the ones I use myself). It will also be cheaper.

It's no different than trying to insure a classic car through a "regular" car insurance agency - the specialized classic car insurance companies will always give you better coverage at a better price.

There is a thread somewhere about how some fire safes degrade comics over time

Right. Better off with a regular safe.