• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Thor 130 and tell me what you think I should do.

21 posts in this topic

OK-- I bought a Thor 130 on eBay from a pretty establish seller. Got the book today but it is not the one they had pictured. So I am not sure if they did me a favor or passed off something less desirable than what I paid for (despite the writing). I say that mostly from how badly the sub crease on my Thor 126 seemed to get dinged on grade.

So let me know what grade you think the one sent was (and the one from the eBay ad if you want). Any opinions would be appreciated.

Here is the original picture from eBay (has some writing on it, and the number is scuffed-- no back scan was in the offer):

rFOoRBKl.jpg

larger:

rFOoRBK.jpg

Here is what was sent to me (no writing on cover but an enormous crease instead) :

iA21OLZl.jpg

PSnSJESl.jpg

large scans:

iA21OLZ.jpg

PSnSJES.jpg

I feel like with the crease (is it about 6 inches?) it is around a 6.5 tops. Personally I like the top one better. I would take the writing and the scuff over the really large crease. Even if these two both came back the same grade, I would buy the top one over the bottom one.

Is that a stain just above the top right "H" on the top one? Or is that just some dirt?

I feel like with the crease (is it about 6 inches?) it is around a 6.5 tops. Personally I like the top one better. I would take the writing and the scuff over the really large crease. Even if these two both came back the same grade, I would buy the top one over the bottom one.

Is that a stain just above the top right "H" on the top one? Or is that just some dirt?

I really couldn't say-- I've never had that one in my hands.

I guess I ask this because I am not sure if they thought they were giving me a better book or not. It is a solid copy and if not for that crease, much nicer shape all around.

One thing I forgot to mention: there is a small bit of writing -- two tiny letters (initials perhaps) on the inside bottom right corner of old Creasy. The letters are about a 1/4 of an inch in size, in fine pen.

I failed to mention that mostly because I am too lazy to picture it. The ad for the original book mentioned that copy had something similar as well-- so without that book in hand, I will call that part of this a wash. But feel free to ding the grade a bit for this.

Looks like both are somewhere around 5.5 . It is quite possible the seller made an honest error either posting the wrong scan when he put the book up for sale, or just mailing the wrong copy perhaps not realizing he had a duplicate copy. If I were the seller and you contacted me, given the relatively low value for this issue I would apologize profusely and offer you a 50% refund for my error to give you a good deal if you were willing to accept the copy sent in error. If not I would just offer to refund completely including postage both ways upon return receipt and learn to not make that kind of mistake again. A good seller will do just about anything to make you happy.

It looks like a mistake, have you contacted them? I'd send it back and let them send you the one you bid on plus refund your postage..Who knows, they might even suggest you just keep it and refund (I know I would).

They should be thrilled when you point it out, because the buyer of the creased one is not going to be happy when he/she gets yours.

It looks like a mistake, have you contacted them? I'd send it back and let them send you the one you bid on plus refund your postage..Who knows, they might even suggest you just keep it and refund (I know I would).

They should be thrilled when you point it out, because the buyer of the creased one is not going to be happy when he/she gets yours.

I just sent them a note via a question on the current listed one (which is in my possession) simply telling them:

"Just a heads up. You sent me this book instead of the one that had the 10 written on the cover. "

I included my scan.

Still not sure how I want to handle it- thus the thread. Part of me thinks it might be a wash but that crease just surprised me when I opened up the package.

Either way, I have no intention of being rude about it. Mistakes happen-- these guys handle a lot of books.

I just sent them a note via a question on the current listed one (which is in my possession) simply telling them:

"Just a heads up. You sent me this book instead of the one that had the 10 written on the cover. "

I included my scan.

Still not sure how I want to handle it- thus the thread. Part of me thinks it might be a wash but that crease just surprised me when I opened up the package.

Either way, I have no intention of being rude about it. Mistakes happen-- these guys handle a lot of books.

They responded with this:

"Sorry about that. If that one is better and you are happy with it, just keep it. If you want the other one I will be happy to pay for the return shipping and send you the other one. Thanks for letting us know."

So it is up to me which one I go with. Seems like less of a hassle for all concerned with the old creasy-- and I agree that the book is solid save that crease. But somehow it is more flawed than one with writing and the scuff. It is a difficult choice to make. So I was hoping to get a general opinion on what they would grade out and use that as my decision point.

I decided to keep it and move on.

Good move. Not worth battling over this one. BTW, in my view the book with the crease is the nicer one to have. Having said that, if you were to slab it, I would expect a 4.5. As for the other, it's tough to tell without a back cover scan, but it looks like a 4.0 to me. Just my $0.02 worth on one of my favourite Thor covers of all time.

I decided to keep it and move on.

Good move. Not worth battling over this one. BTW, in my view the book with the crease is the nicer one to have. Having said that, if you were to slab it, I would expect a 4.5. As for the other, it's tough to tell without a back cover scan, but it looks like a 4.0 to me. Just my $0.02 worth on one of my favourite Thor covers of all time.

Just want to make it clear that the seller was willing to pay for return shipping and send the other book without any hesitation.

I was not sure which book I liked more as they had some similarly weighted condition issues. Pretty much why I went the route of asking for the forum input/insight.

Thanks to all who weighed in with their opinions/advice.