• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steel City Con - April 10-12

14 posts in this topic

I started a thread up a couple days ago but It got buried. I've got my ticket for Saturday - can't wait to start wheeling a dealing.

I'll be there sometime. Can't decide if I'll be there Saturday or Sunday. Want to hit Saturday but have something else as an option Saturday and might bump this to Sunday. There's not a lot of books I'm actively looking for at the moment and I'm sure I can work out some decent deals if the opportunity presents itself (and depending on which vendors are there this time around)

I'm sure most of the big dealers will be at MegaCon so hopefully there will be some nice priced books floating around the room.

Yeah... so I think I'm gonna hit it up in the morning or around noon on Saturday. Hoping that some of the books in the room are priced reasonably & I can make a few deals if something really strikes me.

I'm heading out. I've got my Ezekial has a tiger t-shirt on. 6'6" and balding - can't miss me. Come up and say hi if you see me.

3 hours and I'm heading back home. Terrible comic book show. I'd say about 70% of the booths are toys and shirts and the few comic book booths are ultra high priced keys and $1 drek. I'll defibetely avoid this one next year.

Ya, it's pretty hit or miss. They do them 3 times a year. You can get some deals at one and then the next one pretty terrible. Usually the only really good deals for re-sellable stuff are non-comic guys that just happen to have a short-box of their own collection that they have with them to try to get some extra bucks...

I won't be making it this time, and your report probably makes me not feel too bad about it....

It was really bad. I think I blew like $80 total (including my admission). And $7 of that was for a beer.

I did manage to fill in some holes in my collection but pretty much anything I was actually looking for, wasn't there. There were about a dozen nice books in the room & they were wildly overpriced. As 1Cool said, it was overpriced wall books (most of which weren't even all that great) and just about every long box was $1 drek.

I think this is my last time at this one. It's back to the way this show was when it was at the Palace Inn ballroom. 70+% toys/t-shirts/novelties.

I ended up hitting 3 comic shops on the drive home and ended up spending more at the shops then I did at the Cons. Not too bad of a day.

You never know what you'll find at Steel City. It changes from one show to the next - you take your chances. If travelling, it's best to combine this show with some other purpose. I'll always pickup supplies from HotFlips, who sets up at Steel City all the time, visit a site in Pittsburgh, and go to one of my favourite comic shops, Eide's Entertainment.

Though you can depend on the usual dealers to set up (George Geis, Craig Higgins), this show I admit doesn't have as much as compared to comic shows. But if you enjoy digging through boxes to possibly find a couple of gems on the cheap, you might get lucky.

This particular show, I spent under $100 on books, nothing high-end. I mostly bought from one person with a small table who was selling some of his personal collection to raise cash for his daughter's college fund. I'm happy with these 1960-1970s mid-to-high grade DCs I purchased from him at about $4 a book (Neal Adams Deadman!):

03f7c054-9283-4f4c-87de-45bf7c6772c0_zpstxdeqsjq.jpg

With this show, the fun is in the digging. Nothing wrong with being a bottom feeder in this hobby, um, right? If you're looking for something uber terrific, you'll likely be disappointed. Gotta keep an open mind.