• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck explains his Mile High pricing

906 posts in this topic

I was going to come back with the "rubber versus glue" argument, but I thought it a little much.

However, why not act like an adolescent if RMA (and a select few others) are going to post like they are our parents - teaching us lessons, telling us when we are wrong and spanking us when we misbehave.

If everything I always say is "wrong" even though we are just talking opinions here, why should I invest actual brain cells in a discussion with them?

By the way - I don't really know you, I just included you because you supported RMA. For all I know you are awesome-sauce!

Wait... I thought you said you didn't know me!

Seriously... I'll walk it back a notch. Sure, RMA can beat a dead horse with the best of them... but I appreciate he at least tries to approach an argument rationally. That doesn't mean I always agree with him... 2 people can present logical arguments and come to different conclusions. Look a few posts above at 01The Dude's comments. He has very strong opinions about MH... states them strongly and makes no bones about it. But at no point does he pretend they are anything other than his take on MH's operation. He doesn't stretch it to the next level and claim "every person who ever bought from MH was ripped off" or that he knows for a fact MH ripped little old ladies out of thousands of dollars, as had been stated previously in this thread. That's all.

I enjoy reading both the pros and cons about MH because... well... I don't know, really.... I'm probably just wired all wrong. But as a dealer I was beginning to get very uncomfortable about the over-the-top accusations that were indeed bordering on libel (notice I didn't even post until 50-pages in). I've had my share of completely unjust and outright false accusations on Yelp and elsewhere over the years... so I'm a bit sensitive to it, even toward businessmen whose approach to the hobby is much different than my own.

Define radically overpay.

Without getting into dollars and cents, I've paid next years prices for this years books more than once. Sometimes 25-30% over what they are worth on expensive books.

Why? Were there no other books at a cheaper price available? Was it speculation and you were assuming the price was going to go up?

I'm just not understanding the concept of someone saying they would "radically overpay" for something and be happy about it.

You would be wrong.

99.9999999999999999% of your arguments include a statement like this.

Hyperbole aside, you are offended, because you don't like forthrightness. You would rather have people dance around the issue, using coddling language, couching everything in indirect, nebulous, vague, indecisive terms.

The fact is, however, that wombat's supposition is wrong. There are no "personal attacks" from "both sides."

Would you have preferred I say "well, I'm sure it might seem that way to you, but, in my honest opinion, I don't think that's quite as accurate as all that. But that's just my honest opinion, your mileage, of course, may vary."

Yes, I believe you would.

But that is a waste of time, and disrespects the intellect of both the person to whom I'm responding, and everyone else reading.

Wombat is wrong, because you have not been personally attacked in this thread, at least by me. And to suggest otherwise is not correct, both logically and morally.

I had an independent group of comic board interns work the math and they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you "always think you are right" and "you always think the other person is wrong" and you state it.

Just the facts people. It is science and it blinded me.

And, as is usual for people who don't like to be directly challenged, the accusations of "you always think you're right"...which has no bearing whatsoever on the discussion...is again trotted out.

No, the reality is, I don't sit here and post silly nonsense that I don't believe is correct, and never have. Foolish people might. But most of the people here do not. Do you say things you know, or suspect, aren't correct? No. Of course not. You always "think you are right"...and so does everyone else, or...follow me now...they wouldn't post it in the first place.

Everyone thinks they are right, because that is the nature of understanding.

If am I wrong...prove me wrong! I welcome and relish the opportunity to learn, to grow, to think better and more intelligently about the topics which interest me. Don't you...? If I say "the moon is made of fine, aged gouda" and someone comes along and says "No, RMA, you're wrong, the moon is made of similar elemental minerals to the earth", would I be offended? Should I be? Clearly, I'm wrong. So what's the problem with someone saying it?

No, what you take offense to is that you don't like being disagreed with, and view it as a personal attack.

For someone who really hates being told what they think/know/say, you sure are quick to do the same.

Pot meet kettle. You should be friends.

Without getting into dollars and cents, I've paid next years prices for this years books more than once. Sometimes 25-30% over what they are worth on expensive books.

But that's not really the issue. The issue is that you can't really tell someone what they can charge for a product. You can only choose whether you will pay it or not.

You can talk about it on the internet too if that floats your boat but if people are going to make it personal and derogatory then they lose credibility with me.

And again, I'm not a Chuck supporter or a detractor, and as far as I know, I have never done business with him.

You either accept free enterprise or you don't but if you don't accept it then don't play the double standard - give up everything for the greater good of your fellow man. lol

Yes.

Why? Were there no other books at a cheaper price available? Was it speculation and you were assuming the price was going to go up?

I'm just not understanding the concept of someone saying they would "radically overpay" for something and be happy about it.

For rare items with no pricing history, I "radically overpay" all the time. :grin:

I am quite familiar with what a personal attack is. And I am seeing it from both sides. We'll have to just disagree on this.

Don't just make the accusation, then, back it up with evidence.

Where have you seen a personal attack on rfoiii, specifically from myself?

If you make the accusation...you need to be prepared to back it up. That is fair, reasonable, and equitable.

Don't you agree?

Do you consider calling someone a 12 or 14 year old in this discussion a personal attack?

You would be wrong.

99.9999999999999999% of your arguments include a statement like this.

Hyperbole aside, you are offended, because you don't like forthrightness. You would rather have people dance around the issue, using coddling language, couching everything in indirect, nebulous, vague, indecisive terms.

The fact is, however, that wombat's supposition is wrong. There are no "personal attacks" from "both sides."

Would you have preferred I say "well, I'm sure it might seem that way to you, but, in my honest opinion, I don't think that's quite as accurate as all that. But that's just my honest opinion, your mileage, of course, may vary."

Yes, I believe you would.

But that is a waste of time, and disrespects the intellect of both the person to whom I'm responding, and everyone else reading.

Wombat is wrong, because you have not been personally attacked in this thread, at least by me. And to suggest otherwise is not correct, both logically and morally.

I had an independent group of comic board interns work the math and they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you "always think you are right" and "you always think the other person is wrong" and you state it.

Just the facts people. It is science and it blinded me.

And, as is usual for people who don't like to be directly challenged, the accusations of "you always think you're right"...which has no bearing whatsoever on the discussion...is again trotted out.

No, the reality is, I don't sit here and post silly nonsense that I don't believe is correct, and never have. Foolish people might. But most of the people here do not. Do you say things you know, or suspect, aren't correct? No. Of course not. You always "think you are right"...and so does everyone else, or...follow me now...they wouldn't post it in the first place.

Everyone thinks they are right, because that is the nature of understanding.

If am I wrong...prove me wrong! I welcome and relish the opportunity to learn, to grow, to think better and more intelligently about the topics which interest me. Don't you...? If I say "the moon is made of fine, aged gouda" and someone comes along and says "No, RMA, you're wrong, the moon is made of similar elemental minerals to the earth", would I be offended? Should I be? Clearly, I'm wrong. So what's the problem with someone saying it?

No, what you take offense to is that you don't like being disagreed with, and view it as a personal attack.

For someone who really being hates told what they think/know/say, you sure are quick to do the same.

Pot meet kettle. You should be friends.

No, rfoiii, I am quick to analyze the situation and evaluate what is being presented. I don't presume to know your mental processes, but I CAN make reasonable assertions based on your own words and reactions here.

For example: you're angry. How do I know that? Am I reading your mind, or telling you what you are thinking?

No. I know that because you said it. Since you said it, it is therefore a reasonable conclusion to draw.

Reasonable. Logical. Straightforward.

Now...if you would like to discuss this via PMs, I'm more than willing to hear you out there...but this isn't the place to be discussing your personal issues with me and the way you think I post.

I am quite familiar with what a personal attack is. And I am seeing it from both sides. We'll have to just disagree on this.

If you make the accusation...you need to be prepared to back it up. That is fair, reasonable, and equitable.

Don't you agree?

Do you consider calling someone a 12 or 14 year old in this discussion a personal attack?

I didn't call anyone a 12 or 14 year old.

And, no, depending on context.

I should be glad logical reasoning isn't formally taught in public school; otherwise message boards wouldn't be this much fun.

Don't you agree?

Not if they're acting that way 2c

Because I wanted it. It was an emotional decision.

Does something need to be logical for people to accept it?

Don't you agree?

I didn't call anyone a 12 or 14 year old.

And, no, depending on context.

My original post did not call out anyone specifically. So I never said you made a personal attack. . And the context for the statements I did call out are in this thread. So do you think in the context of how it was used in this thread it was a personal attack?

Of course not. I'm just trying to understand why.

Don't you agree?

That was me, not RMA. And when I first posted the 14-year old comment, I was quite serious. I suspected it was a young person involved in the argument... I don't keep track of who's who around here, or what other threads they may have posted in. Perhaps it was just a case of emotions getting the best of someone. I may be in a contentious debate with someone one week, and another week and another thread be fully supportive or their arguments because (a) I try not to hold inter-thread grudges as happens around here sometimes, and (b) I probably have forgotten all about the previous disagreement and who participated in it because I'm old and don't care.

Anyway, I responded to one of those persons (there are others I was thinking of) in a more direct, and by your terms, respectful manner just previously.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Don't you agree?

Not if they're acting that way 2c

Thats a good out I guess. You can call anyone anything you like and say it wasn't a personal attack because that is how they were acting.

Of course not. I'm just trying to understand why.

Same reason a 14 year old kid will over pay for a sports card or a video game, or whatever they want 'right now'.

Impulse can be an expensive human trait. :grin:

???

I was going to come back with the "rubber versus glue" argument, but I thought it a little much.

However, why not act like an adolescent if RMA (and a select few others) are going to post like they are our parents - teaching us lessons, telling us when we are wrong and spanking us when we misbehave.

Again...you do not speak for anyone but yourself. There is no board spokesman, and it is presumptuous and arrogant to speak for other people, most of whom are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves, and do not agree with your assessment.

If what I say, and the way I say it, bothers you, then there's a simple solution to deal with that problem.

If everything I always say is "wrong" even though we are just talking opinions here, why should I invest actual brain cells in a discussion with them?

There are facts, and there are opinions. 'Everything" you say isn't "wrong", that's just hyperbole spoken out of frustration.

By the way - I don't really know you, I just included you because you supported RMA. For all I know you are awesome-sauce!

Wow.

Don't you agree?

That was me, not RMA. And when I first posted the 14-year old comment, I was quite serious. I suspected it was a young person involved in the argument... I don't keep track of who's who around here, or what other threads they may have posted in. Perhaps it was just a case of emotions getting the best of someone. I may be in a contentious debate with someone one week, and another week and another thread be fully supportive or their arguments because (a) I try not to hold inter-thread grudges as happens around here sometimes, and (b) I probably have forgotten all about the previous disagreement and who participated in it because I'm old and don't care.

Anyway, I responded to one of those persons (there are others I was thinking of) in a more direct, and by your terms, respectful manner just previously.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Yes, that sums it up well.

And, what may be of historical interest, Bookery and I have been on opposing sides in discussions before, and have never had a problem with it, because we respect each other and don't take disagreement personally.

A lot more respect, and a lot less dramatic angst, would do well around here. Just because one "reads" a post a certain way doesn't mean that way is accurate.

hm