• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To sell package deals

43 posts in this topic

yes. all complete sets are packages, and are somewhat more easily appreciated. But not all packages are complete sets. If you're selling 3 keys and 50 random issues in a run of about 100 comics, I'm not sure you're going to find a willing buyer unless the price drops. You always have to ask yourself, WHO WOULD WANT THIS AND WHY?.

If I am starting to like a series and want to get more, I would buy them, especially if the stories are somewhat selected.

I would buy a set with all the Soviet characters, for example, even the cheap books, or a mystery box with selected issues of a series I wish to start – actually that’s what I want to do with my FF duplicates… I like the surprise elements and if you have some nice additions to throw in that you got for reasonable prices, this could be a win/win for both buyers and sellers. :)

I don't sell, so I don't have an issue with someone making money off a collection. However, there is little benefit of having flippers in the market. They don't create competition for the major dealers, they just drive up the price of keys due to artificial demand, and devaluate whatever is below their interest. I'm better off selling to and buying from established dealers, because they'll buy more of what I have, stock more of what I need, and not make me worry they'll disappear into the night with my cash.

"Flippers" and dealers are weird distinctions. A dealer often "flips" books and "flippers" deal in books. What is the difference? Are you meaning people who don't care about the hobby and only want to make money? Card people?

If a dealer knows a modern is going to be mega hot, he orders extra copies. If a flipper knows a comic is going to be mega hot, he purposefully avoids preordering, and instead buys out every shop in town, so people who actually read comics can't have one. That is scummy as hell. Some dealers do scummy things, but I'd say 100% of modern flippers are scummy by their very nature.

Now, classic flippers, that's another story. If I wanted to read Starlord, I had years to track down a copy before a movie was announced. Can't any more, but who cares? As a reader, I'm sure it will all be reprinted soon enough.

I don't sell, so I don't have an issue with someone making money off a collection. However, there is little benefit of having flippers in the market. They don't create competition for the major dealers, they just drive up the price of keys due to artificial demand, and devaluate whatever is below their interest. I'm better off selling to and buying from established dealers, because they'll buy more of what I have, stock more of what I need, and not make me worry they'll disappear into the night with my cash.

"Flippers" and dealers are weird distinctions. A dealer often "flips" books and "flippers" deal in books. What is the difference? Are you meaning people who don't care about the hobby and only want to make money? Card people?

If a dealer knows a modern is going to be mega hot, he orders extra copies. If a flipper knows a comic is going to be mega hot, he purposefully avoids preordering, and instead buys out every shop in town, so people who actually read comics can't have one. That is scummy as hell. Some dealers do scummy things, but I'd say 100% of modern flippers are scummy by their very nature.

Now, classic flippers, that's another story. If I wanted to read Starlord, I had years to track down a copy before a movie was announced. Can't any more, but who cares? As a reader, I'm sure it will all be reprinted soon enough.

these are big wide blankets to be casting. WHat if they pre-ordered to flip? what if it they just bought a few to cover the cost of the comics they want to keep? where is the number for scummy? What if they were desperate for money that week because of a family emergency?

Its not like people are buying out shelves of medicine. What about the commodities investor who guesses right on a certain crop and resells it much higher because its something that everyone wants, like tomatoes or walnuts. Because that's literally the goal of EVERY SINGLE TRADER OF COMMODITIES. Are they all scum?

Or every single toy store that could sell something at cost to a poor kid, but instead chooses to sell for profit to rich kids?

You're saying people have a right to make a profit for a living buying comics at lower prices then selling them at higher prices, but they're scum if they do it as a side business to earn extra income. They do the research and the legwork of running around to various shops, they front the money, they make the postings, they assume the risk, they market, they do the selling, they do the packaging, they do the shipping, they pay the taxes, they assume the risk of returns. Assuming they haven't lied about anything, or committed any crimes, or broken any policies, how could you (or anyone) possibly be in a position to judge any of those people as scummy? Who are you to judge how someone lawfully and honestly makes their money? Must be nice.

You're saying people have a right to make a profit for a living buying comics at lower prices then selling them at higher prices, but they're scum if they do it as a side business to earn extra income.

That's not what I said at all. What I said was, if you know in June you're going to want 100 copies of a comic due to release in December, and choose not to preorder, and instead opt to buy out every shop in town, taking away the opportunity for the readers of that comic to have a copy, you're scum.

If you buy low and sell high, you may or may not be, depending on the events that lead to those low buys and high sells, but I wouldn't make a judgement based strictly on that.

This would be comparable to your toy store analogy if Toys R Us instead of releasing hot toys on the day of release for MSRP decided instead to sell them all out the back door for a profit to an eBay reseller. That would be scummy. In fact, pretty sure corporate would get rid of any store manager who did that, because it's scummy.

You're saying people have a right to make a profit for a living buying comics at lower prices then selling them at higher prices, but they're scum if they do it as a side business to earn extra income. They do the research and the legwork of running around to various shops, they front the money, they make the postings, they assume the risk, they market, they do the selling, they do the packaging, they do the shipping, they pay the taxes, they assume the risk of returns.

Sounds like an awful lot of trouble. Why not leave it to the experts, then, if it's such a chore?

That's twice you've mentioned risk in this thread. A dealer who buys a run of Nova 1-25 assumes risk. The flipper who picks Nova 1's and leaves the less desirable issues behind isn't assuming any risk at all.

So you're unwilling to do the smallest amount of work that assumes no risk at all and could make money, but people who do are dirty flippers?

I understand being frustrated at people who swing through shops and buy all copies of a hot book before you get the chance. That sucks and it's happened to all of us, I'm sure. But literally ANYONE can do the same thing and reap all this so-called easy money with "no risk."

You're saying people have a right to make a profit for a living buying comics at lower prices then selling them at higher prices, but they're scum if they do it as a side business to earn extra income. They do the research and the legwork of running around to various shops, they front the money, they make the postings, they assume the risk, they market, they do the selling, they do the packaging, they do the shipping, they pay the taxes, they assume the risk of returns.

Sounds like an awful lot of trouble. Why not leave it to the experts, then, if it's such a chore?

That's twice you've mentioned risk in this thread. A dealer who buys a run of Nova 1-25 assumes risk. The flipper who picks Nova 1's and leaves the less desirable issues behind isn't assuming any risk at all.

this assumes the dealer wouldn't do the same thing as the flipper given the same opportunity. If they can take just the Nova 1 at the same price, they're taking it. If we're talking about Nova 1-25, there's plenty of takers, from flippers to dealers to collectors, who are not mutually exclusive.

There's all kinds of flippers and dealers. What I'm against is the blanket statements that negatively characterize people for acting economically rational for their own set of preferences and financial situation. No one is being lied to or breaking the rules or laws. No one is forcing anyone to buy or sell any items, all have immediate access to a wealth of knowledge and opportunities to sell locally or internationally, should they choose.

Maybe its the 40 year-old virgin who sweeps through all the stores in the area to clean them out and make a few hundred. Maybe its the industrious 16 year-old who sweeps through 3 LCS to make a few extra bucks to buy his mom a mother's day gift. And what if they guess wrong, and the value doesn't hold?

Does it occasionally suck that a kid wanted to read a comic and might miss out on a hot comic? sure. I'm not a robot (usually). But I'm not gonna draw lines and judge someone when they're spending their own hard earned money on something that is legally for sale.

Capitalism ain't perfect, but its generally better than the alternative.

However, if you're the one selling, sell to who you like for whatever reason you like for whatever price you like. Its your own comics, no judgment on that either, but know that different things expand and limit potential buying markets and achievable prices.

Does it occasionally suck that a kid wanted to read a comic and might miss out on a hot comic? sure. I'm not a robot (usually). But I'm not gonna draw lines and judge someone when they're spending their own hard earned money something that is legally for sale.

Someone cleaning out the local stores of the new hotness only benefits himself, and does so knowingly. The kid comes off worse, the store comes off worse. It's legal, but it's not decent.

How about we settle it this way: you support an individual's right to step on someone else in the name of capitalism, I support my right to show the same consideration for said individual as he shows for others by laughing at him when something bad happens to him.

Buying a mother's day present? Please...

Does it occasionally suck that a kid wanted to read a comic and might miss out on a hot comic? sure. I'm not a robot (usually). But I'm not gonna draw lines and judge someone when they're spending their own hard earned money something that is legally for sale.

Someone cleaning out the local stores of the new hotness only benefits himself, and does so knowingly. The kid comes off worse, the store comes off worse. It's legal, but it's not decent.

How about we settle it this way: you support an individual's right to step on someone else in the name of capitalism, I support my right to show the same consideration for said individual as he shows for others by laughing at him when something bad happens to him.

Buying a mother's day present? Please...

lol

The store most certainly does not come out worse. I know people like to play the, "They potentially lost a life-long customer that could have spent thousands" card when a hot book is cleared out but it's just silly what-ifs. That could happen, but it probably doesn't...or at least not as much as people think.

I'm not trying to justify my "flipper" behavior because there's nothing to justify. When I buy to resell, it's always to fund other purchases and keep this hobby somewhat self sustaining. But you bet your if I see something in the $.50 bin and know I can flip it for $10, i buy every copy of that book I can find because why the hell not? For the off chance someone who "cherishes" it will find it? I parlay that into something I will cherish.

Honestly, I respect the "purist" way of some collectors - yourself included. It's cool to have such a connection to some books and the artform as a whole. I feel like I have it, too but go about acquiring in a different way. However, you're gonna get a wicked nosebleed from up on that highhorse.

Sounds like some people think flippers are JV and dealers are Varsity.

Do you get a letter for your jacket when you make Dealer?

Everyone in business is a flipper. Period.

High frequency traders on Wall Street buy stocks and resell them a microsecond later for a flip

Walmart flips China

Power companies flip coal

McDonalds flips burgers (pun intended)

Without the "flip" everyone loves to hate, there would be no America as we know it.

I'm not trying to justify my "flipper" behavior because there's nothing to justify. When I buy to resell, it's always to fund other purchases and keep this hobby somewhat self sustaining. But you bet your if I see something in the $.50 bin and know I can flip it for $10, i buy every copy of that book I can find because why the hell not? For the off chance someone who "cherishes" it will find it? I parlay that into something I will cherish.

Years ago I probably wouldn't have liked a guy like you, but these days I do. Why? Because nothing on my wantlist should be in the 50 cent box, so I'm glad you've done the work to find me that $10 book. :)