• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 234 Club

37 posts in this topic

The white strip is supposed to show on the side; the OP's is an exception.

Exactly. It's a miswrap.

I'm aware of that...

I figured, but some folks new to Bronze might not.

;)

Back in 1990, the very first white strip DC I ever encountered was Green Lantern #87. I found it at Comics and Comix on Telegraph in Berkeley (man, were those the days.)

I thought the spine was badly rolled or something. Had no idea that was supposed to be that way.

Also, I bought a boatload of Marvel Spotlight #5-10, thinking I'd made a fortune with Ghost Rider...I looked, and looked, and looked...no Ghost Rider in sight.

What I bought was Vol 2. doh!

Turned out ok, 25 years later, though. ;)

They also had a Fine-ish copy of FF #1 for $1,000. When the new OPG update came out, they raised the price to $1100. I was mad.

lol

The white strip is supposed to show on the side; the OP's is an exception.

Exactly. It's a miswrap.

Mine is miswrapped? Huh. IMO, it's in the eye of the beholder in that case. There is a little of the landing strip showing on mine (Can't see it because of my photography skill). I am happy with that issue because it gets the whole banner on the right side of the book, something I never see. Many of these "Bigger/Better" books lose a bit of artwork when the whole white strip is present. Some of those white strips are really large. GL/GA #87 has some REALLY garish white strips to the point of chopping Hal Jordans foot in half. Or #86 where you lose half a guys face due to those white strips. As far as I'm concerned, those strips at least in those 25 cent issues were the spam of their day. I would much rather have more artwork representing than an overdone dumb landing strip telling me what the book is and what it costs. If it's a miswrap, so be it. I'm into it. I have a #234 that has the whole banner PLUS the landing strip where it probably should be: Representing the spine of the book. Of course, I'll probably be shouted down, but to me the book streams the way it is.

I never even considered that having less landing strip and more banner might be a printing error. or a miswrap. Quite the opposite, actually. I always saw the clipped banner as a printing error or miswrap. Makes sense now. There are many more clipped banner issues than not. Turn the prism a bit....

I guess I prefer more of the cover artwork than advertising. I am very happy with the issue. hm. But now, I suppose I will have to seek another one out that has a properly aligned spam strip. OCD knows no bounds. lol.

This book seemed to have been fraught with printing errors more than others. Many copies I have seen, including a raw #234 I owned myself, have a white scrape across Batman's shoulder and several inner pages with the corners clipped off. I have seen 9.8's with that shoulder error and wondered how it garnered a 9.8. In many copies, we can see the beginning of that white scrape that shows up as a white dot. I guess printing errors don't count.

It's a grand book at any rate. As I look at these books, I wonder how Two Face was able to lash Batman to the bow like that. I wonder about the splash page in #251 where it shows the Joker driving laughing maniacally. Is he listening to a Bill Hicks cd? Can we imagine the Joker taking drivers ed? What became of his instructor after he tried to teach the Joker to parallel park? Does he HAVE a drivers license?

Here's mine. One of the first books I bought after Bats 232 when I "returned" to the hobby four years ago. Overpaid for it, but I didn't know any better at the time. Still love the book though.

154499.jpg.a8022c551a03e5c9c876ae7924af7490.jpg

This is a great cover and one I would love to have someday. Shouldn't Overstreet and the CGC label really notate "First Bronze Age" appearance of Two-Face?

I guess there is not a definitive answer since the beginning of the Bronze Age is a healthy and interesting conversation among collectors. I've had Neal Adams: Batman Illustrated Vol. 2 on my list for a few years now, to read this particular issue.

This is a great cover and one I would love to have someday. Shouldn't Overstreet and the CGC label really notate "First Bronze Age" appearance of Two-Face?

I guess there is not a definitive answer since the beginning of the Bronze Age is a healthy and interesting conversation among collectors. I've had Neal Adams: Batman Illustrated Vol. 2 on my list for a few years now, to read this particular issue.

What it *should* be is "First Two-Face appearance since 1954."

What it *should* be is "First Two-Face appearance since 1954."

That would work! I thought Two-Face made an appearance in World's Finest #173 (Feb 1968), but looking further into it, Batman only turned into Two-Face, the real Harvey Dent/Two-Face did not show up.