• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Koch Warehouse Tour 2005

10 posts in this topic

so this past Saturday I went to the Joe Kock Warehouse Blow out with Delekkerste, here's the low down:

at the past big apple the Koch boys were handing out flyers about their warehouse tour. Gene and I met up at 10:00am and took the subway out to Brooklyn to the site. It was actually a really easy subway ride thanks to some weekend subway work that had the N going express to 36th st. 893applaud-thumb.gif

We get off the subway and walk to the warehouse. Now, I want to reassure everyone that getting there via the subway and then walking for about 10 minutes go get there was very safe. Brooklyn has a bit of a stigma to it, but there were no problems.

So we get there and figure out which warehouse it was (true to the flyer you would have no idea that they have comics in there). We walked up the stairs to the main floor and took a look at the spread. It was cool - they had a lot of random stuff - tons of books and actually a few baseball cards, movie posters, toys, etc.

they didn't have any silver age or bronze age really for blow out but Koch said that I could make an appointment to come out and go through some long boxes. They had quite a few long boxes of 2002-present overstock (I think the overstock from Forbidden Planet) that they were blowing out for 50 cents. They had some old wizards, a few overstreets, a couple of British annuals, a few beat but complete TPBs, etc. Gene and I ran into Mr. Woo out there too.

I ended up getting 3 sets of 3 Batman posters from 1989 (the sign, michael keaton batman, jack nicholson joker). OS 12 and 18 in super primo condition, an Avengers Annual 10, an X-Factor 68, Hero's Against Hunger, and a Columbia College 2001 Alumni Directory for only $35!! Thanks Joe!

I have a few pics but I will post those later.

It was fun to see the warehouse. It really hit home that comics, especially post 1980 books, are not rare at all. In fact Joe has over a million of them,

DAM

Easy Dave.. Easy.. we have not yet soaked up all the goodness from your last Tour Thread.

Give us a minute to assimilate it all will ya.

I can only take in soo much at once.

Ze-

Easy Dave.. Easy.. we have not yet soaked up all the goodness from your last Tour Thread.

Give us a minute to assimilate it all will ya.

I can only take in soo much at once.

Ze-

I'm on a roll!! It's going to take all of Feb for me to recovery from this flurry of posts!

I got a copy of GIANT SIZE SUPERHEROES #1 from Koch a few weeks ago. It's a beautiful copy, much nicer than described in the auction. I'd like to take a ride out to that warehouse one of these days, sounds like a cool place.

I always wondered where KOCHCOM stored all of those comics. They seem to always have multiples of high grade 1970s books posted on their website. I picked up a Super Richie #1 from their site. Grading was supposed to be VN/NM. The book was actually better than advertised. I probably could squeek a 9.2 out of it.

I've actually been to Joe's warehouse quite a few times. He's a gentleman and once he gets to know you, he will give you free reign to explore the warehouse. You could spend hours there and barely make a dent going through the stock. I think it's best to bring a want list with you and you'll find that as long as you're not looking for any golden age or "really hot" key issues you should walk away quite happy. He's actually in the process of opening another warehouse which I believe will be more accessible to the general public.

Yes, I was there as well last week, first time I've ever been. I was disappointed that the sale didn't extend to more of the warehouse, but it was fun to poke around the dusty shelves for a bit. I ended up with a handful of cheap digests for the kids, a silver surfer essential vol1 for A BUCK, and some assorted other junk.

thumbsup2.gif