• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you been sniped posted by Shivabali

11 posts in this topic

Who hasn't?

So I got pissed at getting sniped today (and other days) and so decided to write a song to alleviate and extrapolate the feelings. Not to say I'm not a sniper...I'll snipe the sh*t outta you. But it goes both ways. Here's my song. I would love Kirby Krackle to supply the melody. :)

RIP: Herb Trimpe

The Snipe Song

I bid, you sniped,

I'll get no sleep tonight...

That 9.8 I watched all day,

When I close my eyes it won't go away.

You're just another black hat thief,

Filling me with bidding grief.

I wish "my eBay" was my own,

That all you snipers don't call home.

Don't you know how long I've looked?

To you it's just another comic book.

Last time I read it I was 8,

Who are you to dis my fate?

Chorus:

To all of you sniping fools,

Splashing late into the pool,

Destroying all our comic hopes,

Our collections are on the ropes.

When the book arrives, you sniping hack,

I hope the case has a massive crack.

See more journals by Shivabali

Yes,

We all have been sniped. There is a large dealer on Ebay who years ago I was tracking his purchases because I wanted to see if he ever lost an auction. To my surprise over a period of two months and about 1000 auctions he never lost one. I decided I would beat him as I was tired losing to him. His bids usually came in as you saw the last second on screen. As the auction ended and the page refreshed you discovered you lost the auction to him. So I started to increase my bids quite a bit and finally won a comic he sniped me on. The book I won was a Dell Private Secretary 1. I still remember the dealer I won it from. Another large Ebay seller of raw comics. It as listed as a 9.6 but only came back as a 9.0 white pages but I was satisfied to break his undefeated streak. I won probably two more that year he bid on. It just shows that if you have the highest bid it does not matter how good a person's sniping program is.

Been there (been sniped) and done that (have sniped).

I've both lost and won a lot of auctions due to sniping. First couple of times I lost I was frustrated. Eventually, I resorted to sniping primarily to keep the final cost of the item as low as possible.

With age and experience comes wisdom though. Having gone through both extremes many times, I have accepted it as a reality for one simple reason: the other person was willing to spend more. If I put in a maximum bid of what I was willing to pay and got outbid, whether at the last second or the day before, then that simply means the other person was willing to spend more. Frustrating, yes, but unless you're a billionaire, you can't win every auction.

Also, I take it as a blessing in disguise sometimes. Somebody out there is obviously telling me not to spend so much money on a hobby.

C'est la vie!

By the way, nice ditty!

Love it Shivabali, lol. Sorry you was sniped upon. What book was it? Don't you own everything already? ;) Personally I tend to put in my max bid from the start and like WillyHawaii said if someone is willing to pay more then so be it.

I've been sniped. I think most of us have.

Last time it happened, I was outbid at the very last moment. Literally, maybe 5 seconds left in the auction.

The worst part?

The winning bidder re-listed the exact same comic a few days later at double his winning bid.

I really needed that comic for the registry. I hope it rots on his shelf. It's been on eBay for the last 3 months without a bite.

I was reverse sniped, about 8 or 9 years ago on a T.O.D cgc graded book off ebay. I had placed my max bid early in the auction (which was high for the book, but I really wanted it to complete a run) The bid stood high above the rest during the auction until the final few seconds where I was outbid, then the bid was quickly retracted and replaced pennies under my bid.... So I won the item paying my highest possible bid, which had cost me over $100 in less than 15 seconds. I checked on the bidder, and found out he bids on that sellers items and retracted over half of the time... Never bid on that sellers items again!! I don't think ebay allows retractions like this anymore. That sucked- lol, anyway lesson learned and yes I have bid a lot differently since that day.

Love it Shivabali, lol. Sorry you was sniped upon. What book was it? Don't you own everything already? ;) Personally I tend to put in my max bid from the start and like WillyHawaii said if someone is willing to pay more then so be it.

I think the problem some buyers have with this technique is you leave yourself open for shilling.

I used to do it, then I got paranoid about it, lol .

Now i usually wait and manually enter my top bid near the end. It may not really matter, but I guess the threat of it makes me hold back in the beginning.

That type of bidding is called shill bidding. I had it done to me and after calling Ebay, emailing Ebay with all my evidence they finally did something about it. It took a long time for them to act. This guy had a feedback of about 50 all with the same seller but had 125 "wins" all with the same seller. Now that user Id's are hid it's hard to figure out if this still happens. I believe it does.