• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for older collectors...

82 posts in this topic

I think it depends on if you get ample warning about your demise. If I had time, I would arrange to sell everything myself. I'm sure you guys would love a shot at my mostly unpressed collection ! lol. Otherwise, it's up to my wife. I told her don't be in a hurry to sell and she has some names of

people I trust. It's a tough topic and I don't like to dwell on such things. As somebody said, if you are gone, who cares anymore.

Sell before you die, pay capital gains tax if they are up in value and you are honest with the govt. Bequeath to your wife or other heirs and let them sell after you die, no capital gains tax because of a step-up in cost basis at death. Does our personal knowledge of how best to sell for the highest price offset the extra tax cost, and can we adequately educate our family or executor enough on how to sell to make the timing decision be based on the tax consequence?