• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for older collectors...

82 posts in this topic

I have no idea. Comics. sports cards, action figures here. Haven't given it much thought honestly. Have a nephew who was a collector at one time but got out of it.
I have a nephew who is 17 and has started a very modest Captain america collection. His ancient comics come from the 1980s. :D:cry: If he keeps up with them, or more than likely drop them and maybe pick them back up, I'll leave him a good portion of my comics.

If my wife outlives me she has instructions on who Heritage is and how to negotiate for lower seller fees. :) She also knows that if it is in a CGC case then it is worth more than cover price and she should take her time selling. She knows my Overstreet guides are guides only and she knows my Timelys can go for multiples. My Bark's duck books, (shrug), who knows what they will be worth when I die. They may be worth more as kindling or she may be able to build her own money bin. Auction will be her friend for those.

I am now 50, and plan to gradually sell my silver/early bronze collection for extra cash when I retire, likely at age 65. As someone else already mentioned, there are fewer collectors younger than us, so the timing of my (your) sell off is crucial for everything but key issues. Spider-Man #1 will always be worth something, but Spider-Man #51, not so much.

sell. my silver DC registry set coming to CC or Heritage in 2018/19

that is, after you peel off a few choice selections for a certain comic nut on the East Coast... :headbang:

a guy can always dream...

Started the long liquidation process about 5 years ago. For the high grade SA collection, it's down to Dr. Solar as the last title remaining. We probably have 10 more years to go before the bronze, copper, and magazine collection is fully pared down to provide cash needed to support comfort and fun in retirement and an inheritance, and isn't a physical burden for moving or passing on to our son at the mobile stage in his lifecycle. I don't mind parting with the collection of high grade slabs, as the way they're being collected today is no longer my cup of tea.

My son's favorite comic when he was a kid was Thor, so I'll at least save him the run of issues from #200-350 that I bought off the rack to do with as he wishes. He's already gotten close to a hundred of my SA reader copies going back to Thor appearances in JIM.

I can retire in two years at age 56. Not saying I'm going to for sure, but I can. My plan is to gradually sell it off, and supplement my retirement income. Probably the bulk first, then the good stuff.

I know a guy who retired and opened up a comic shop for fun. Now he spends his time running the store and setting up at shows... which is great if you can afford to have fun this way.

Considering that the market has moved online and you guys are all here is a good sign. At least you're computer literate. Many older collectors can't make heads or tails out of eBay and end up just dumping their books dirt cheap to younger flippers or some used book store.

I wouldn't say there is an urgency but good timing will definitely help us to achieve top dollar. The problem for me is... I keep buying more than I sell. Comics are a drug and I'm addicted!! Is there a Betty Ford for comics? :o

I plan on retiring in another 14 years. Once done, I may very well leave NY which would necessitate the sale of many personal belongings. In the end all my stuff is "stuff". In the grand scheme it matters little. With that said, I would probably take about half of everything I have accumulated.

I'm faced with the prospect of selling most of my collection. As I get older, I do feel a sense of urgency in divesting the bulk of my collection. I'd hate to see all the time and money spent go to waste. Though my collection may pale next to some of the great collections here, It is substantial enough that I would like to handle the selling as opposed to letting my wife dump it.

Just wondering what you all plan to do with your large collections:

• Sell it?

• Leave it for someone?

• Dispose of it?

• Take it to the grave?

It is to be sold when I die to help cover the expenses of the Viking funeral I plan on having. Realistically, I hope I can cover the cost of the wood to build the bier my corpse will be burnt on.

:)

-slym

I'm not an older collector but my wife knows which of my friends she needs to contact about my collection in case I kick the bucket early. I don't have many valuable books but I do have quantity. I told her to let him take what he wants and he will help her get rid of the rest.

Although not specified, this would be very likely the situation for me. My parents and a few close comics friends know more or less the value of the things I have, and so, just in case, the comics will not be lost or sold for nothing. :)

Actually if I will manage to read and write something about Marvel as I’d like, I will probably sell a good deal of the books and keep the ones which have been truly significant for me (so not a huge quantity) but I believe it will be hard to get rid of things like early Fantastic Four, some rare italian books or short series I loved.

I have to make a decision soon though - I keep screwing certain things up and am not married - if I don't find someone willing to put up with my nonsense I would like to see my family or whoever is around after I pass benefit in some way.

Basically - I don't want my brother coming within 100ft of my stuff. I may have to have a sit down with a cousin of mine and appoint two people I know of to provide guidance or something.

I have to make a decision soon though - I keep screwing certain things up and am not married - if I don't find someone willing to put up with my nonsense I would like to see my family or whoever is around after I pass benefit in some way.

Basically - I don't want my brother coming within 100ft of my stuff. I may have to have a sit down with a cousin of mine and appoint two people I know of to provide guidance or something.

Do you have some friends knowledgeable about comics which know – more or less – the value of your material? If not, the solution you prospected it’s the best one.

Also, if you collected certain things by some criteria, i.e. for a research or so, and would like to keep them together, you should find someone enough learned to pass them on. :)

I know this is an important subject but damn depressing. The books I don't sell in the next year or two I'll leave for my daughters to sell, keep, etc. I certainly don't want to leave them with too many books. They don't have any real interest in comics.

I've started the slow process of reducing my collection down to a core of maybe 3-4 long boxes that our teenage son will hopefully appreciate. He's always enjoyed them but he's not a collector. So 25-30 boxes is a burden, but a few boxes is something manageable.

I've also been converting books into OA, and letting him have a hand in what I select... figure those would go to him as well. He certainly appreciates those pieces, and I would hope he'd keep them for sure.

But of course in the process of selling, I've been buying more than ever. lol

As I explain to my wife, it's all part of a "process"....