• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars: The Math Awakens

61 posts in this topic

but we can all agree that any scene with padme and Anakin is unwatchable right?

I don't think you would get many to argue that.

Sorry to disagree but I can think of one scene I really like. In #2 when Anakin comes back from aceing all the sandpeople and tells Padme about it. She really nails a shocked look and his ccrrrrraaaazy anger really shines through.

All six of the Star Wars films have three bona-fide actors who gave great performances in the films--Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan, and Ian McDiarmid as Emperor Palpatine. Revenge of the Sith is good if for no other reason than to watch some of the biggest blocks of quality acting and villainhood in any of the films since that's the film where Palpatine got a ton of screen time.

But ROTS has so much other goodness, too. Grievous is relatively cool and has a very compelling character design. The lightsaber battles in this one are second to none. The best space battle scene of any of the films by FAR is the one at the start of this film with Obi-Wan and Anakin flying around looking for Grievous. Anakin's maiming and subsequent transformation into a cyborg are the most cringeworthy moments of all the films. Lots to like in that one.

Agreed!

I thought Empire was the only really good movie of the bunch. A New Hope was pretty good, and Jedi minus anything on Endor was good. The prequels just weren't good movies. I watched them all once and tried to watch Episode III a second time, but most of it was cringe-worthy.

I thought Empire was the only really good movie of the bunch. A New Hope was pretty good, and Jedi minus anything on Endor was good. The prequels just weren't good movies. I watched them all once and tried to watch Episode III a second time, but most of it was cringe-worthy.

I think Empire stands head and shoulders above the rest. Irvin Kershners direction makes this movie art house good.

I think Empire stands head and shoulders above the rest. Irvin Kershners direction makes this movie art house good.

The funny thing is Kershners directed the good parts in Jedi, too. So, out of the five movies directed by George Lucas, he's 1 for 5. And here comes JJ Abrams who will probably put out a good movie with his intellectual property as well. That's not a very good track record.

I thought that Sith was the toughest movie to write in the prequel trilogy as you had to link everything in one last effort. With that said, I though Sith was very good.

Can you guys think of any other major franchise with this many diverse opinions on quality of the work?

James Bond.

There are people who think Roger Moore was too lite, George Lazenby was a one shot joke, Daniel Craig is a thug, Pierce Brosnan entries were to videogame-like, etc.

Then there are others who thought Moonraker was better than the Star Wars prequels, On Her Majesty's Secret was the best bond ever made, Skyfall sucked and Brosnan was the best Bond since Connery.

I love Bond movies myself, but I find myself upsetting the purists now and then, with what I liked (Skyfall, the car chase in For Your Eyes Only, Goldfinger Fort Knox raid, etc) and didn't (Tanya Roberts, Talia Soto, Wayne Newton, License To Kill, Moonraker, etc).

Obi Wan told us that he was seduced by the Dark Side. I didn't see any of that "seduction" going on in the prequels. Just some "first love" blues.

You didn't find it believable, or you didn't see it at all? It was certainly there. ??? The major beginnings of it were Yoda refusing to allow Anakin to be taken on as a Jedi due to his attachment to his mother in "Phantom Menace" but then Obi-Wan taking him on anyway, his development taking a turn for the worse when the sandpeople killed his mother while he was still a young Jedi, and then Sidious lying to him about giving him a way to prevent people from dying as a way to make sure Padme would never suffer the same fate as his mom.

I found his journey to the dark side satisfyingly depicted. The key was what Yoda said, that they usually select people to become Jedi as children so that they never develop significant attachment, but Anakin already had that attachment when Qui-Gon found him.

Forget Hayden's acting and forget Jar-Jar because kids tend to love him just as some of us probably loved the Ewoks when we were young. The single worst thing in the prequels is the voice they gave the viceroy of the Trade Federation. I still cannot believe Lucas gave that character a Japanese accent who does the stereotypical pronouncing of L's as R's and R's as L's. :roflmao:

nute_gunray_the_phantom_menace.jpg

notice his slanted eyes

sw50sw8sw578.gif

I forgot Samuel L Jackson....Worst....Jedi.....Ever. I thought it would be a more Pulp Fiction performance than it was. As stiff and wooden as Anakin.

Yep. Wanted to like him, but he didn't get into it.

I blame Lucas. He is one of the worst major directors ever in terms of interacting with actors and developing human interest in characters. The prequels would have benefited from him being an idea guy and letting someone else do the directing.

Subtract the part where Anakin loses his spoon cause his mom died in sandpeople custody when he had YEARS to buy her out of slavery and Padme would have been happy to chip in but he just forgot she existed for like 10 years then suddenly remembered it and lost his spoon...

I'm hoping Jar Jar is back in episode 7 as a Jedi. Am I the only one who thinks he didn't get enough screen time in the prequels?

Yes. (tsk) A bunch of toddlers who were around 4 when Phantom Menace came out probably thought that when Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith came out, but not now. Time has made them older and wiser. :sumo: