• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warren Ellis Did anyone read his under-appreciated books?

32 posts in this topic

When people talk about Ellis they always mention how great Planetary, Stormwatch, Authority, and Transmetropolitan are. But what about all his other awesome books? He's written a lot. Do people think his other stuff isn't as good or have they not read enough of his other books?

So what other Ellis books did you like?

I could go on and on but to name a few

Gravel was issues 0-21 in 3 trades

Red was 3 issues

Reload was 3 issues

Down was 4 issues

Desolation Jones the first arc finished at 6 issues. The second arc stopped at 2 or 3 issues.

Freakangels you can read this for free! online

3 Iron Man trades

Extremis was 6 issues

Ultimate Human Iron Man And Hulk was 4 issues

Ultimate Iron Man Armor Wars was 4 issues

Ocean was 6 issues

Orbiter is 1 trade

Doktor Sleepless never finished :( but I think 13 was the last issue

Fell was kind of popular. Think it went 9 or 10 issues

Thunderbolts 12 issue run

All of these are awesome and you can find cheap on ebay or $1.00 boxes at the LCS or conventions. Or the library maybe?

Check amazon for brief descriptions about each book

Red was 3 issues

Fun series. This was one of those reads that drove people CRAZY because it was so quick.

Desolation Jones the first arc finished at 6 issues. The second arc stopped at 2 or 3 issues.

I would love to have seen this go on much longer.

Extremis was 6 issues

I loved this. The writing was maybe a little less "pure" Warren Ellis but it was still great and the art was over the top.

Ocean was 6 issues

I remember liking it, but I don't remember it. Whatever that means.

Orbiter is 1 trade

I know I read this. I can't remember it.

This one kills me. I loved it.

This also kills me. I loved this title.

Warren Ellis is kind of like my "seal of quality" that I know will be good before I even pick it up.

His Secret Avengers run and his recent Moon Knight runs were both exceptional. Both one as a series of self-contained stories that really examined individual characters. Very Very good.

And I absolutely loved Doktor Sleepless (probably 1/2 the reason for my username) & was so bummed by the computer borking that caused it to end prematurely (as with Fell and a few others on your list)

Red was 3 issues

Fun series. This was one of those reads that drove people CRAZY because it was so quick.

I would love to have seen this go on much longer.

Extremis was 6 issues

I loved this. The writing was maybe a little less "pure" Warren Ellis but it was still great and the art was over the top.

Ocean was 6 issues

I remember liking it, but I don't remember it. Whatever that means.

Orbiter is 1 trade

I know I read this. I can't remember it.

This one kills me. I loved it.

This also kills me. I loved this title.

I know I read Red, and enjoyed it. That's all I can tell you. I remember when the Red movie came out with Bruce Willis - I wondered if that movie was based on Ellis' Red. I don't think it was, but honestly I can't say for sure. That's how little I remember about that particular book. All I remember is that I read it.

I think I read Ocean, but I can't even remember if I liked it. Made quite an impression on me, obviously.

Orbiter - that was the book illustrated by Colleen Doran, right...? Definitely read it, thought it was pretty OK, but didn't blow me away.

Fell - now *that* book was GREAT! Too bad it just vanished. Really enjoyed that one despite Templesmith's art, which I find to be extremely distracting).

Also really enjoyed Global Frequency, fwiw.

I love Warren... but man, come on, do a real ongoing.

I would say that Transmet (60 issues) and Stormwatch/Authority (38 issues) certainly qualify.

Planetary was over 30 issues (counting the deluxe format one-shots). It was just the publication schedule that really bogged that one down, especially towards the end. Heck, I didn't even realize there was an issue 27 until last year! I thought issue 26 was the end (and I'm pretty sure that was how it was promoted at the time). Three years between issues 26 and 27? Seriously...?!?

I love Warren... but man, come on, do a real ongoing.

I would say that Transmet (60 issues) and Stormwatch/Authority (38 issues) certainly qualify.

Planetary was over 30 issues (counting the deluxe format one-shots). It was just the publication schedule that really bogged that one down, especially towards the end. Heck, I didn't even realize there was an issue 27 until last year! I thought issue 26 was the end (and I'm pretty sure that was how it was promoted at the time). Three years between issues 26 and 27? Seriously...?!?

I should have been more clear.

I mean do a new ongoing, stop it with the minis and the six issues here or ten issues there. He seems to be at his most powerful in the long, sequential format. At this point, we're going to remember him for Transmetropolitan and Planetary first and everything else second.

Pretty sure I read somewhere the next issue of Fell has been written for a long time but Templesmith hasn't drawn it yet. I wonder if it ever gets finished if they'll raise the price from $1.99. Not that I really care if they raise the price I just thought it was kind of funny since it's only 16 page stories and the delay has been so long.

My favorite mainstream Warren Ellis story was the Wolverine: Not Dead Yet storyline. It was part of the regular Wolverine series but you can get it in TPB. Wolverine was a pull book for me back then and I had no idea it was Ellis until after I read it. If you get a chance, check it out.

Fell was such a good book. Charge more and print it.

I bought Ocean when it came out but only read it a year ago. Don't know why, but that's how it goes. I was massively disappointed. Great start, bad ending.

Patrick

Pretty sure I read somewhere the next issue of Fell has been written for a long time but Templesmith hasn't drawn it yet. I wonder if it ever gets finished if they'll raise the price from $1.99. Not that I really care if they raise the price I just thought it was kind of funny since it's only 16 page stories and the delay has been so long.

Perhaps it just takes a long time to produce art that unintelligible. (shrug)