• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best stores in Jacksonville, FL for Bronze Age back issues?

6 posts in this topic

I drove through there a couple years ago.

Gotham city comics (I think) had no back issues.

The shop furthest east had a decent selection... Forget the name but you can google comic shops in Jacksonville. It's the one closest to the beach.

I checked that one out. Only challenge appears to be hours they are open. lol Looks to be closed on Monday and closes before I can get there Sunday. Worst case, I spend more time walking the beach....

Gotham City limits on Southside Blvd has back issues but most things of interested have been cleared out. Last time I bought from them, comics were cover price, regardless of what that price was.

Superhero Beach on 3rd Street is a great shop with lots of new stuff and mainly 90's and up back issues. Most things are cover or $2. Some wall books but nothing amazing.

Borderlands on Atlantic Blvd. has lots of $1 and $.50 bins. It's worth digging there because those $.50 bins have paid off big time in the past. Sometimes gets amazing wall books but the pricing on those is completely out of whack with FMV to the point I didn't even bother asking. They're not the ones doing the pricing so I never blame them. Chip the owner is a really nice guy.

Cosmic Comics on Old St. Augustine has TONS of stock but a lot of it is unsorted and unpriced. The stuff that is priced can be on the high side of retail but Bobby is a pretty good dude. Great potential that's still being worked out.

Mythical Mountain on San Jose is newer but most of the back issues bins are pretty well picked over. Still some decent filler stuff and I don't think anything is over $2 in boxes.

Superhero Hive on Park St. is owned by the same dude as Superhero Beach and has a similar vibe/price structure. Still a good a shop but not the best spot for vintage books.

Sidekicks Comics on State Road 210 has a decent selection and depending on who's working, can be cheap or expensive. They have the best wall books of any shop in Jax/St. Augustine but can be on the high side of retail. The last time I went, they were willing to work on price but I did dig and bought a lot.

There are two people in the Beach Blvd Flea Market but one is mainly $1 books and coins/sports cards and the other is a dude who has really high prices on some beater keys. He's a nice enough dude and might have wiggle room on those prices but I've never tried.

Pecan Park Flea Market had a dude named Chuck who sold books and he was my favorite places to buy from in the city. Things are very rarely more than $2 and he's full of weird stories and is an all around interesting guy. Last I heard, there was a really bad fire at that market so I have NO idea how he's doing now. Hopefully he didn't lose anything.

There's another dealer at the St. Augustine Flea Market who's prices are all over the place but he does have an interesting and super diverse amount of books. Great deals when you feel like digging.

Jerry's Bookstore on University/Arlington Express has sooooo much but most of it is unsorted (don't touch the long boxes!) and NONE of it is priced. He prices off Ebay and is definitely on the high side. He's a really interesting dude and if you've got hours to kill and not buy much, he's rad.

I think that about covers it.

Oh! There's a record/skateboard/punk shop in Atlantic Beach called Young, Loud and Snotty (Next to Fly's Tie Pub...Good day drinking spot that's SUPER local) that I heard sells books. I always forget to check it out. If you're into digging for a Mummies 7", it might be your spot, too.