• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major change for original X-Man

218 posts in this topic

Marvel. Where we involve some sort of controversial issue with all of our old, beloved characters to get publicity rather than actually focusing on quality storytelling. :cloud9:

Maybe they'll be 30 variant covers. :wishluck:

Main reason I haven't bought a comic made since '99

So Polaris, Jean, Opal, Kitty and others... all beards then? Sure, Marvel. Sure.

Hey! I just had a stroke of genius! (or maybe just a stroke)

Coming to Marvel this summer, the crossover event to end all crossover events, Gender Jumble, girl is boy, boy is girl, which side are you on? (The answer of course, is both) ....presented over 12 weeks with 1,439 variant covers. :ohnoez:

So Polaris, Jean, Opal, Kitty and others... all beards then? Sure, Marvel. Sure.

Coming to Marvel this summer, the crossover event to end all crossover events, Gender Jumble, girl is boy, boy is girl, which side are you on? (The answer of course, is both) ....presented over 12 weeks with 1,439 variant covers. :ohnoez:

Ok I actually lol on that

Can you imagine the brainstorming at the "House of Ideas"? :facepalm:

"We need an old character remade as a black man. :preach: "

"Um, we did that already?" (shrug)

"Ok, how about we remake an old, popular male character and make 'he' a 'she'?"

"Yeah, we did that too."

"Damn. How about we make one of them Muslim?"

"Done already."

" hm Have we had a gay or lesbian character recently?"

"No"

"Alright, let's go that route! :banana: "

"Who can we reveal is gay?"

"Wolverine?"

"No, we killed him."

" doh! Who? Someone from the Fantastic Four?"

"We're ending that series. We can't get the movie rights back."

" :censored: How about Ghost Rider?"

"Who? ??? "

"Nevermind. How about another member of X-Men?"

"Iceman?"

"Sure. Let's do it. Now, should we reboot all of the X-Titles with several variant covers? hm "

Shhhh... keep it down or they'll hear you! I don't need another 1439 comics to go on my wishlist to make my Complete X-Everything collection even bigger!

Shhhh... keep it down or they'll hear you! I don't need another 1439 comics to go on my wishlist to make my Complete X-Everything collection even bigger!

yes you do. Look for the uber rare gold foil and lenticular covers.

Why cant we have any female characters coming out accompanied by graphic depictions of their curious findings :cry:

More needless PC shoehorning.

No not needless, necessary. Gay characters are completely underrepresented in comics compared to the actual percentage of people who are gay in society. It's important for gay comic fans that they can at least read a comic that has a character who's personal experiences they can relate too. Even if that comic has to be the convoluted mess that's Xmen..

Why cant we have any female characters coming out accompanied by graphic depictions of their curious findings :cry:

(worship)

They can graft whatever political correctness/ideologic nonsense to any character these days: I just find this deeply offensive. I always liked Northstar, and they managed to ruin him as well.

No not needless, necessary. Gay characters are completely underrepresented in comics compared to the actual percentage of people who are gay in society. It's important for gay comic fans that they can at least read a comic that has a character who's personal experiences they can relate too. Even if that comic has to be the convoluted mess that's Xmen..

What does it mean "completely underrepresented"? This already implies an ideologic stance, as there is nothing to give for granted about the very concept itself of "gay people".

These are not themes you can/should hand lightly, and this is precisely what they are doing. You have at least to admit their controversial nature, and they do not care the least: that is precisely political correctness or an ideologic stance, which is even worse (like Neil Gaiman did with his anti-catholic stances in 1602, for example).

First, I am missing awfully the Comics Code (which forced the authors to be more professional when writing a good story, considered they had to take kids into account), second, even in this climate I would expect Marvel stories to be good stories, not the mess they are throwing out.

If they really wanted to introduce themes seriously, they could just learn by re-reading what the past authors have been doing excellently for decades… these things are just an indication of poorness. :shrug:

And no, with good peace of Peter David, not even Shatterstar, let alone Rictor were meant to be "gay", whatever Louise Simonson had in mind it wasn’t sure what he subsequently did.

My bottom line: if you have to create a character reflecting an idea, at least introduce a new character, at least this would show a minimum of professionality.

If gay characters are necessary, then they need to create them, not retcon long established characters.

What does it mean "completely underrepresented"? This already implies an ideologic stance, as there is nothing to give for granted about the very concept itself of "gay people".

These are not themes you can/should hand lightly, and this is precisely what they are doing. You have at least to admit their controversial nature, and they do not care the least: that is precisely political correctness or an ideologic stance, which is even worse (like Neil Gaiman did with his anti-catholic stances in 1602, for example).

I just mean with the thousands of characters in the Marvel universe, it statistically makes sense that a percentage of those characters should be homosexual to reflect real world demographics, and if a character like Iceman turns out to be gay, and from what I have read it seems he was closeted, that is actually a realistic scenario that some people experience in real life. I think that's an important aspect of what has made Marvel so important to it's fans over the decades, that it has made superheroes have human experiences that readers can relate to :)

If gay characters are necessary, then they need to create them, not retcon long established characters.

This

I just mean with the thousands of characters in the Marvel universe, it statistically makes sense that a percentage of those characters should be homosexual to reflect real world demographics, and if a character like Iceman turns out to be gay, and from what I have read it seems he was closeted, that is actually a realistic scenario that some people experience in real life. I think that's an important aspect of what has made Marvel so important to it's fans over the decades, that it has made superheroes have human experiences that readers can relate to :)

This makes a huge amount of sense and works perfectly both realistically and in the setting of the Marvel Universe.

Granted, I think Marvel did this for other reasons completely but still.

As Revol stated, in the real world gay people are closeted for years living dual lives and carrying on with "accepted" societal standards. Why should the Marvel Universe as it has been more closely tied to the real world regarding their characters and how they behave, interact etc. be any different?

This

Why?