• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who will take all the Box Office Cash for 2015???

70 posts in this topic

1.The Avengers have less competition,while Star Wars has James Bond and Hunger Games to deal with.

You're severely underestimating the quality of the competition Avengers will be facing. (tsk)

paul-blart-mall-cop-2-movie-poster.jpg

Yep. People will camping out for Mall Cop 2!

I better get in line now!

lol

Don't laugh too hard...

The nuttweeds that made this slop found their target market.

By spraying the trailer all over the cartoon channels my 8 year old kid is dying to see this.

I showed him Mall Cop 1 and he never laughed so much.

It very dumb but I guess like the apple dumpling gang to childhood years (without Don Knotts).

Wow, still days before the US release and Avengers 2 is @ 72% RT!!!

There is only 100 reviews so far and usually a big movie gets 200+ reviews...

Looks like this film maybe lucky to hold on to a 60% "fresh" rating.

I just keep thinking RT's critic hated Watchmen too, so they aren't always right.

:P

I just keep thinking RT's critic hated Watchmen too, so they aren't always right.

won't go that low and won't matter. $600MM in the bag but could crack $700 US even with lukewarm word of mouth.

won't go that low and won't matter. $600MM in the bag but could crack $700 US even with lukewarm word of mouth.

Avengers already passed 200 million it's first day in Europe.

Avengers already passed 200 million it's first day in Europe.

yeah, it will make a ton of money...

Titanic wasn't that good of a movie and it mopped up because of a nice storm that summer didn't have anything else worth watching and the teen girls just couldn't stop re-watching it...

This movie has that same perfect storm where there isn't any real competition for months and the fans of the genre will re-watch it multiple time I'm sure.

Nah -- Star Wars will follow the Lord of the Rings template w/ December releases.

That's what I'm afraid of--Avengers beat EVERY Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie at the box office adjusted for inflation. Tough to say if Lord of the Rings would have done better during the summer. hm

Titanic Opened Dec 19th.

Star Wars will do fine, I'm guessing it will beat Avengers easy.

Nah -- Star Wars will follow the Lord of the Rings template w/ December releases.

That's what I'm afraid of--Avengers beat EVERY Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie at the box office adjusted for inflation. Tough to say if Lord of the Rings would have done better during the summer. hm

Titanic Opened Dec 19th.

You are seriously underestimating how big Marvel has become.

It will be close, but no way will one easily beat the other.

Titanic Opened Dec 19th.

especially if we're only talking US. Avengers box office "stock" estimating $715MM now, 7 months prior to release was estimating $610MM. Star Wars 7 7 months prior to release estimating $430MM. (i'd go long at that price).

The film will do great financially, but if 'Star Wars' is a home run and has great word of mouth (something the critics are not giving us with 'Age of Ultron'), it will beat Avengers at the box office, both for the nostalgia pull and the simple fact that it will be a stronger movie.

Sounds like this one is jam-packed but superficial...who knows. I'm excited to see it even though it may not raise the bar for Marvel. I look forward to the Russo Brothers carrying the load from here on out.

Dan

Titanic Opened Dec 19th.

I have a hard time believing Star Wars( a tired franchise) will even be remotely close to Avengers. Furthermore I am willing to bet Avengers does close to 1.5 billion globally,and Star Wars does about half that.

Yeah I know I'm putting my azz out there,but....... (shrug)

Titanic Opened Dec 19th.

I have a hard time believing Star Wars( a tired franchise) will even be remotely close to Avengers. Furthermore I am willing to bet Avengers does close to 1.5 billion globally,and Star Wars does about half that.

Entertainment Weekly has predicted $3BB for Star Wars. I wouldn't go to Vegas with your prediction. China will probably be $400MM.

Titanic Opened Dec 19th.

Entertainment Weekly has predicted $3BB for Star Wars. I wouldn't go to Vegas with your prediction. China will probably be $400MM.

Star Wars will decimate all...

At the end of the day, the answer is still Disney. Doesn't matter which one wins. It's like asking if Guardians or Cap was the big winner of 2014. No, the answer is Disney.

Deadline saying $213MM weekend. don't know how they can be this precise this early- probably has 5% or so variance built in.

hm after first bumping prediction to $220MM+, they're now saying $203MM. if that holds, $600MM US might be a stretch.

There's quite a bit of competition out there this year. I don't think Avengers will just walk away with it.

The summer blockbusters

May 1 - Avengers: Age of Ultron

May 15 - Mad Max: Fury Road

May 22 - Tomorrowland

June 12 - Jurassic World

July 1 - Terminator: Genisys

July 17 - Ant-man

July 31 - Mission Impossible

August 7 - The Fantastic Four

Holiday Releases

November 6 - Spectre

November 20 - Hunger Games

December 18 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Let's not forget the Pacquio Vs. Mayweather Fight at 99.95 the opening weekend of this film suppose to be the biggest fight in over 25 years and expecting record numbers. The extreme cost, 6 year build up to this fight, and inside my classroom with 150 students I have all they could speak about all week was arguing over who is going to win the fight and I had no mention of Avengers 2.

As far as who wins to me its Avengers 2 at this point. Star Wars has legions of fans, but its been a long time since the last film came out. The younger generation may not be as familiar with Star Wars as they are with comic characters. 5 years ago I would get Star Wars jokes because of my last name from students today I don't get those jokes from my students.

The other question to ask is will either film hit the billion mark or not. I believe Transformers 4 was the only film to do that last year and the number of people going to the theaters to see a film is down. Lets face it with the right setup your at home experience blows away the quality you see in theaters.

At the end of the day, the answer is still Disney. Doesn't matter which one wins. It's like asking if Guardians or Cap was the big winner of 2014. No, the answer is Disney.

Nope the answer was Paramount and Hasbro with Transformers 4 being the only film to cross a billion last year

Titanic Opened Dec 19th.

While I loved Avengers 2, let me give one example of why Star Wars will smoke Avengers.

Disney said The Avengers 2 trailer had 33-35 million views in the 1st 24 hours

Disney said the Star Wars trailer had 88 million views in the 1st 24 hours

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-trailer-viewed-88-million-times-in-24-116920002392.html

http://screencrush.com/avengers-2-trailer-record-views/

"it certainly puts the new Star Wars ahead of last year’s Furious 7 trailer (which sped to 62 million views in 24 hours) and the recent Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer (which soared to 35 million views in 24 hours). "