• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 612

12 posts in this topic

Okay, I will be the first to admit that this whole Batman/Catwoman romance thing is now a bit much. Overall, solid pencils and a fun issue. Great cover. Worth the money alone.

My pleasant surprise this week at the store:

Brath #1 from CrossGen

I had never read a CrossGen before, but Chuck Dixon is a favorite of mine from his work on Batman and the first Robin mini series. I think I am ready for Conan now. I never really got into him, but (1) I love the first movie (2) I really liked Brath and will buy the second issue and (3) X-O Manowar was a Visgoth barbarian!

I also got Green Arrow 21 (haven't read it yet - want to now read the whole series together). Frontline #4, and Captain America #9. As soon as this storyline ends, I'm dumping Cap. The first issue was really stellar stuff, but now I would rather not spend the $3.

Anybody else get anything worth talking about at the store today?

DAM

While reading Batman 612, the one thought that kept going through my head was: Frank Miller did this better back in the 80s. Why crib from such a well-known and well-loved story? This whole Hush story is starting to bore me. It's going nowhere fast.

>>As for books to read.....you can't go wrong with Vertigo books! Fables, Y, Bullets are all great reads!

I started Fables, but found that much of it was lame, retreaded BS. Much like Vertigo meets Shrek, and it makes me laugh at what the writer finds innovative and thought-provoking.

There was an interview in Wizard where the guy was blasting us with his incisive commentary on how "Snow White living with Seven Dwarves would have been quite risque at that time" and how "Pinochio would have been one screwed up adolescent".

Yeah, like some old smut cartoons didn't cover that about 50 years ago. grin.gif

Hey guys any sugestions on books that are worth taking a look or that you consider a good read?I would really like to hear some sugestions

Amazing Spider-Man

Daredevil

Ultimates

Alias

100 Bullets

30 Days Of Night

Y The Last Man

I thougth the new Batman, while real pretty to look at, was not that great. Underwhelming is probably the best word for it.

As for other new stuff:

Amazing Spider-man #50 was fantastic. The resolution of Peter and MJ's marital problems was somewhat of a surprise for me; I really thought they would wind up apart.

Y Last Man #8 was terrific as well; this series has really become like a soap opera, each issue ending on a overly dramatic cliff-hanger; I can't wait to see the next one redefine sibling rivalry.

Robin #111 was a fine story. I, for one was really concerned with how the exodus of Chuck Dixon would do to the "lesser" Batman books. I'm especially fond of the Batgirl and Robin titles and I have a hard time thinking of anyone that writes his characters more personably than Dixon. Fortunately, though, the stories in Robin haven't suffered at all. The whole Killer Moth / Charaxes story was a lot of fun and the budding relationship between Robin and Spoiler is fun to watch.

Catwoman #16 was a good conclusion to an absolutely brutal story arc; I defy anyone to come up with a more vicious example of story-telling amongst the cape and cowl set. One problem I have, though; can Loeb and Brubaker maybe compare notes and figure out just who it is that our favorite feline is romantically involved with.

Wonder Woman #189 I bought on an impulse. I've never read a WW comic before but I'm a big fan of Simonson. It was interesting and somewhat disorienting; I'll have to keep reading it for a couple of issues.

Finally got around to reading Batman 612...I liked it. To echo the thoughts of one poster, it did try to be a little too "Miller-esque", but if you're going to crib from somebody else's material, it might as well be Frank Miller! I'm also not sure we needed to see Supes' dog Krypto make an appearance either, but I'll go with the flow on that one.

I loved the artwork...there's going to be plenty of $1,000+ original art pages from this book when they show up for sale on Albert Moy's website (if they haven't been pre-sold already). My only question is why Jim Lee draws Lois Lane like she's of 100% Asian descent. I've seen comic book characters who were supposed to be Asian drawn with less Asian features than Lee draws Lois!! Was she transmogrified by a band of ninjas and an evil Asian crime lord into an Asian assassin in a recent Superman storyline that I don't know about or something (a la Psylocke in X-Men #256)???

- Gene