• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a gift grade?

44 posts in this topic

Is this a gift grade, or is this a gift grade? 5.0 for a book with about a square inch missing from the front cover? Incredible! :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-45-CGC-5-0-Signed-Stan-Lee-1st-app-Inhumans-Blackbolt-Movie-/291435718168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43daec2618

Not that bad IMHO. The rest of the book is NM. It will likely sell on the lower end of 5.0's, but technically I believe the grade could be argued.

The book is pretty sharp otherwise, but it's not NM; top right corner crease, multiple spine ticks, color chip bottom left corner, color loss under Mr. Fantastic at bottom edge. But even if it had been, I just can't consider a chunk that size out of the front cover worthy of a 5.0. And the price would be delusional even if it were a stellar 5.0.

It's hard to say if it's a gift grade or not given that CGC has never posted their grading criteria. I've posted this before, but I have a very nice Black Terror #6 with a chunk out that got a 6.0:

0307142207311.jpg

I'd never expect it to reach the same price if it had no chunk out but more general wear, but as I don't know what they deduct for a missing piece I can't say if it's graded accurately or not.

It's hard to say if it's a gift grade or not given that CGC has never posted their grading criteria. I've posted this before, but I have a very nice Black Terror #6 with a chunk out that got a 6.0:

0307142207311.jpg

I'd never expect it to reach the same price if it had no chunk out but more general wear, but as I don't know what they deduct for a missing piece I can't say if it's graded accurately or not.

I think books like this are so tough to grade. That said, I can more easily accept this book with that small piece missing as a 6.0 than I can the FF as a 5.0.

Y'know a lot of folks here say that SS books don't get graded any more leniently, but I'll tell you this from my small amount of experience....I own 60+ CGC books and the only ones I find at all overgraded are some of my SS books (yellows being about half of my slabs). Not all of them mind you...probably about a third of them. Pretty satisfied with almost all of my blues though.

Be gentle, Oh Gods o' the Boards!

Not that bad IMHO. The rest of the book is NM. It will likely sell on the lower end of 5.0's, but technically I believe the grade could be argued.

The book is pretty sharp otherwise, but it's not NM; top right corner crease, multiple spine ticks, color chip bottom left corner, color loss under Mr. Fantastic at bottom edge. But even if it had been, I just can't consider a chunk that size out of the front cover worthy of a 5.0. And the price would be delusional even if it were a stellar 5.0.

5.0 strikes me as much too loose, on the book....considering it is otherwise around an 8.0....if it were a 9.8 white page copy, it could arguably be a 4.5 to 5.0 universal with the piece missing.

That said, I think a 4.0 universal grade is fitting.I'd wager it will sell at around the price of a CGC 5.0 Universal slab(a regular blue slab, now a CGC yellow slab), considering it's a Stan Lee SS book.....the price as it is now, is a joke.

As a collector, I would rather buy a slabbed 4.0 or a slabbed SS Stan Lee 4.0...or a 5.0, with the usual wear associated with those grades., than a book with a chunk out of the front cover.

That's a technical 5.0 based on the overall book.

An 8.5 without the piece missing.

That chunk missing certainly takes 3.0 to 3.5 off.

It is what it is. Some people may not like it but

that's better then a VG+ and fairly graded in my opinion.

Take another look. :shy:

It's no 8.5 without the missing piece.

I think you misunderstand my sentence structure.

It doesn't make sense to me to say,

It's an 8.5 with the piece missing

Hence, it's an 8.5 without the piece missing.

Man, I just jumped on Comiclink & EBay to check out some other copies in 4.5-5.5 and the market is absolutely flooded with this book! It appears we may be headed for a correction.

I still maintain that 5.0 is a reasonable grade. Might I call it a 4.5? Absolutely, but 5.0 is not a significant stretch IMHO. I believe it compares favorably with the 5.5 on Link after one considers the book in question is a grade lower.

FWIW, I love these one fatal flaw type books as for the most part they are vastly undergraded as raws. It's a mistake I made commonly when I first started listing books. There are some big discrepancies between OPG and CGC grading standards.

All that said, to each his own. If you prefer books with more well rounded wear and tear then I'd recommend adding those examples to your collections. But if coverless copies are graded "0" or "NG" and mint books are graded "10" could we not argue the book in question lies almost exactly in between? I can't speak for everybody but I believe you probably could.

Whether or not you agree or disagree I wish all here a nice weekend :foryou:

I think you misunderstand my sentence structure.

It doesn't make sense to me to say,

It's an 8.5 with the piece missing

Hence, it's an 8.5 without the piece missing.

Actually, I understood your point but I made my point badly. Apologies.

What I meant to say was that even without anything missing from the cover, I'd have a hard time seeing the book as an 8.5. Too much going on elsewhere on the cover.

FF45_zpsvlh6s44w.jpg

A couple of Heritage books for comparison.

FF451_zps99iwchua.jpeg

FF452_zpsmbygyeb1.jpeg

I wouldn't be comfortable grading a book with that large a piece missing above 4.0.....I would probably pass on buying it at 3.5 money 2c GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u