• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee has time for true believers <for a price>

245 posts in this topic

Like we need another Stan debate. ;)

I'm posting this not to incite controversy, but to make people aware of what's happening.

He's definitely been knocked down a few notches (in my eyes anyway) with all the co-creator controversy over the years, but this idea (allgededly, of Stan's "handlers" needing their palms greased on verified sigs) personally just irks me.

His sig is worthless to me, but him allegedly needing to cut into the sig verification scene when he's already charging an obscene amount of money for his autograph just cements the idea that his signature devalues the book in my eyes.

voldemort2_zpsksxincly.jpg

To Stan, true believers must = suckers!

"Odd" is a mild way of putting it, and would it kill you to refer to them as Voldemort for informational purposes? I can't help the fact the Mickey-Mouse powers that be here prefer scrubbing anything to do with talking about their competition.

If I had to guess I think this is more to do with the exclusivity of who you have to go through to get a Stan Lee signature and the lack of an agreement with Voldemort. I imagine there's a pre-existing agreement with CGC and submission to another grading company would cause a loss of revenue. just a guess though I have no clue

Delete the pic & just have a discussion on what is happening without mentioning the other company that shall not be named.

I realize that would "sanitize" to the hosts likings, but I put it there for context. I would try, but it's so dumb a move that I would probably would botch the explanation, or ditch the whole idea of sharing because these boards test your patience enough with all the looming technical hangups.

Odd that he'd want a piece of verified sigs, but this is a CBCS issue that will most likely cause this thread to be deleted.

because god forbid we discuss a general topic in comics general.

I just calls 'em like I sees 'em. Stan probably doesn't have a legal leg to stand on irt the verified sig issue, but the threat of lawsuit from an individual as wealthy as he could bury some companies.

If I had to guess I think this is more to do with the exclusivity of who you have to go through to get a Stan Lee signature and the lack of an agreement with Voldemort. I imagine there's a pre-existing agreement with CGC and submission to another grading company would cause a loss of revenue. just a guess though I have no clue

Makes sense, but I bolded the above for emphasis because what Stan charges already, in my opinion, is obscene to effectively be allowed to mark up old comics. Is it really necessary for him to get a piece of the "verified" signature programs for certification?

At what point do we call a spade a spade, and discuss this as nothing more than a greedy move?

Dont get the issue though if the person buys a ticket & waits through the line what extra $ are they wanting? Something for the book to be witnessed? If so why not just make a witness ticket for the person to buy instead of a regular ticket? They already sell the holographic authentic stickers in the line.

It's bizarre to me that anyone still pays for Stan Lee's signature nowadays. There are so many examples out there that the market should be thoroughly saturated.

Odd that he'd want a piece of verified sigs, but this is a Voldemort issue that will most likely cause this thread to be deleted.

I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

I've revised the pic - can you please keep this general to the topic to not get the power that be's panties wound. Thanks

Makes sense, but I bolded the above for emphasis because what Stan charges already, in my opinion, is obscene to effectively be allowed to mark up old comics. Is it really necessary for him to get a piece of the "verified" signature programs for certification?

At what point do we call a spade a spade, and discuss this as nothing more than a greedy move?

Right idea, wrong group. It's not CGC. It's the exclusive deals creators have with witnesses. Try to get CGC to witness a Stan sig at a show. They won't do it. For years they would say "You have to talk to Desert Wind" now they point you in a different direction. But certain AWs have exclusivity deals with certain creators. So CGC will do a sig series Stan Lee but generally not accept it unless it comes through a certain facilitator. Also it's not just Lee, there are other creators who do this as well.

Odd that he'd want a piece of verified sigs, but this is a Voldemort issue that will most likely cause this thread to be deleted.

I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

I've revised the pic - can you please keep this general to the topic to not get the power that be's panties wound. Thanks

You forgot to Voldemort the email address :shy:

Doesn't Voldemort provide sig authentication as a service already? So what is the point of having a AW for their stuff anyway? Other than you not being able to make a show to have something signed, I can't see why this is an issue.

Just have a friend get a sig for you and then submit thru the authentication service. (shrug)

Right idea, wrong group. It's not CGC. It's the exclusive deals creators have with witnesses. Try to get CGC to witness a Stan sig at a show. They won't do it. For years they would say "You have to talk to Desert Wind" now they point you in a different direction. But certain AWs have exclusivity deals with certain creators. So CGC will do a sig series Stan Lee but generally not accept it unless it comes through a certain facilitator. Also it's not just Lee, there are other creators who do this as well.

While I recognize you have elaborated how grabby types have carved themselves a handsome little piece of the action, the premise is a crock. If I hire a signature verification company, who can reference the mountainous examples by way of Google image search, and can back up with a photo taken by the fan at the time of the sig, I would effectively be telling this whole gimickry to pound sand.

Anyhow, please don't turn this into a CGC or Voldemort issue. It's a general hobby topic, and at the heart of it is a very grabby tendency that people should see for what it is.

My point of this is to show people what's really happening, and leave it to them to decide whether they want to support the "t̶r̶u̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶r̶" greed or not.

Doesn't Voldemort provide sig authentication as a service already? So what is the point of having a AW for their stuff anyway? Other than you not being able to make a show to have something signed, I can't see why this is an issue.

Just have a friend get a sig for you and then submit thru the authentication service. (shrug)

They aren't authenticating his sig right now either.