• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay question

33 posts in this topic

That makes sense from a customer-service standpoint, both yours and Chip's reply. Thanks.

Logistically, how would one pay for the shipping for the buyer to return the book? I haven't had this happen to me, but since I'm pretty new to selling I'd like to know the better/safer ways vs the worse/dumb ways to handle a full return.

Also, since I'm a noob-seller, what happens if a POS buyer just up and says "Hey, I never got my book!" even though USPS tracking shows it was delivered?

btw... I despise dishonest buyers AND sellers and I know they're out there, and probably if one buys and sells long enough, one WILL encounter a thief (as evidenced by the Ebay-Banned list we keep updated here).

I have these questions as well. Thank you all for the good advice.

Bigs

I always purchase a label myself and e-mail it the buyer. Haven't had any trouble that was yet.

As far as a buyer claiming they never received there item....I really don't know. I had it happen once, and always thought the situation sounded fishy, but I just ate it as a loss and refunded his money. Maybe he pulled one over, or maybe the USPS dropped the ball. Its a good reason to always pay for sig required on high dollar books.

if usps tracking shows they delivered it to the proper address, then shouldn't the buyer's dispute be with the post office and not the seller?

A lot of sellers try to operate under that assumption, but I have always looked at it like this...

If someone purchases something from me, it's my responsibility to ensure they receive what they paid for in the condition described. If the Post Office screws up and mis-delivers the package, or loses it, or damages it, they didn't get what they paid for. I have to make that right.

If an item is mis-delivered, or lost in transit, I think it should be the sellers job to handle any claim or investigation with the P.O. If you put that on the buyer, what happens when the P.O. ends up telling them "too bad, no trace of it"? I think the risk of loss/damage during shipping should fall solely on the seller.

I dunno.

As a BUYER, I would never even bother the seller if the USPS tracking said it was delivered to my address and I didn't get it. IMO, that puts it on the deliverer, not the seller. But that's just my opinion, even as a buyer.

Lets say it was a $250 book, and the tracking shows that it was delivered to your house, but you didn't actually get it. Even if you took it up with the PO, the most Priority Mail Insurance pays out is $50 without paying for additional insurance (which a lot of sellers don't do). So even if they did approve the claim, as a buyer you would be OK with getting no book and only $50 back?

Also, this is my perspective as someone who sells quite a bit, but rarely buys outside of website pre orders, so I'm not just a needy buyer who doesn't want to accept any risk, lol

As a seller, I wouldn't ship a $250 book without $250 insurance. But also as a seller, I wouldn't want eat a $250 "loss" that was clearly due to the USPS, or to a dishonest buyer.

As a buyer, I would expect a seller to properly insure a high-dollar purchase shipment.

Hope this isn't ever an issue we have to deal with. :cool:

I don't disagree with ya. (thumbs u

Yeah, in a perfect world - but does anyone have any testimonies about how they successfully collected on insurance? :shrug:

Yeah, in a perfect world - but does anyone have any testimonies about how they successfully collected on insurance? :shrug:

I've filed 1 claim for a lost package and 1 for damage....neither time was I compensated. lol

I've filed 1 claim for a lost package and 1 for damage....neither time was I compensated. lol

Exactly. So, I repeat my question. meh

Well, that's... encouraging. :(

Exactly. So, I repeat my question. meh

I don't actually think a buyer should be on the hook for a lost or damaged item, and what you're describing is part of the reason why. I was simply agreeing with his 3 points.

Return and full refund minus original shipping. You pay one way. Unfortunately, there are lots of jerks out there that play the "partial refund" game to get a little dough back. That is one reason I stopped putting a letter or number grade on eBay listings. Especially higher grades. I can find something wrong with EVERY book if I try hard enough.

I sent them a return label through ebay. I will refund the original purchase price once I get the books back. My question is what should I do if the books are in bad shape when I receive them? File a claim through USPS? Robot Man are you saying that you don't pay for return shipping? Is there any reason for that?

Bigs

I guess it depends. If it is my fault in any way yes. If I feel that some one is trying to nickle down the price to save a few bucks no. I have only got a couple of returns over the past 12 years or so. I don't do letter or numerical grades. I describe the books fully and show large scans and I pack well. If I miss some thing I Man-Up.

I received a damaged slab in the mail once, did the USPS insurance thing. They collected my info & the slab, 3 weeks later, I received a check for the full auction amount.

:)

-slym