• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay question

33 posts in this topic

Hello :hi:

I'm writing to see what I need to do with an incident that occurred on ebay in the last 24 hours. I had a listing up for a group of books that were in very high grade NM+ or better. I boxed up the books in heavy protection and shipped them to the buyer this week. This morning I get an email that states the books are damaged and the buyer wants to know how to proceed. I ask for pictures of the damage and the picture I get is a book that looks exactly the same as I shipped it. The buyer states that there is a 'speck of color break' that makes the book a 9.2-9.4. From the picture I saw the book looked great. How should I proceed with something like this? Should I offer a small refund to preserve my feedback or should I have the buyer return the books for a full refund and hope there actually is no damage? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bigs

It would depend on what the buyer wants.

does he want to return the books or does he want a partial. if he wants a partial and it's too much (eats your profit) then suggest a full return.

ultimately, you should do what will make your customer the happiest while not giving them your shirt off your back

have the buyer return the books for a full refund

this

Yup. This for sure.

..... probably this. This is the reason I'm reluctant to sell HG books on eBay.....it's just too easy to invite hair splitting. Many people who buy "9.6's" actually expect 9.8 . Books at this level actually can pick up a ding just from applying packaging during the shipping process and a book that started as a 9.6 can go down without our seeing it. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

this

Yup. This for sure.

..... probably this. This is the reason I'm reluctant to sell HG books on eBay.....it's just too easy to invite hair splitting. Many people who buy "9.6's" actually expect 9.8 . Books at this level actually can pick up a ding just from applying packaging during the shipping process and a book that started as a 9.6 can go down without our seeing it. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Uh, maybe you need to work on your shipping skills if your books go down a grade from packaging.

this

Who pays for the return shipping in a dispute like this?

I always make it a point to pay for return shipping. It doesn't happen often where it adds up and the customer feels that much more confident to continue shopping with you even though something happened when the book was en route. Take full responsibility in making the customers happy and they'll pretty much always come back to you.

It's only happened to me a few times and as others have said, the first thing I always offer is a full refund. And exactly as Chip said, I immediately say I will pay for shipping.

Then, after that offer is out there? If you calculate that you would still prefer to sell the books even at say 10% off or 20% off or whatever discount... you can say. "However, if you would like to keep the books anyway, despite the damage, I'm happy to offer you a XX% refund. But the choice is entirely up to you."

Sadly, there are folks who try to negotiate prices after the fact by complaining about condition and looking for discounts... so if you START the discussion by talking about partial refunds, it's harder to then go into full return mode. Because they'll smell blood and know you don't want to go through the hassle of a return and know they can get something from you.

But if instead you show them you're perfectly happy to just take the books back and pay postage to do so, you take away any leverage they may have thought they had -- if they were playing a game.

Sad to think so callously, but you have to protect yourself.

And if they were being sincere, then great. You've just offered them really excellent customer service which you should do anyway.

That makes sense from a customer-service standpoint, both yours and Chip's reply. Thanks.

Logistically, how would one pay for the shipping for the buyer to return the book? I haven't had this happen to me, but since I'm pretty new to selling I'd like to know the better/safer ways vs the worse/dumb ways to handle a full return.

Also, since I'm a noob-seller, what happens if a POS buyer just up and says "Hey, I never got my book!" even though USPS tracking shows it was delivered?

btw... I despise dishonest buyers AND sellers and I know they're out there, and probably if one buys and sells long enough, one WILL encounter a thief (as evidenced by the Ebay-Banned list we keep updated here).

That makes sense from a customer-service standpoint, both yours and Chip's reply. Thanks.

Logistically, how would one pay for the shipping for the buyer to return the book? I haven't had this happen to me, but since I'm pretty new to selling I'd like to know the better/safer ways vs the worse/dumb ways to handle a full return.

Also, since I'm a noob-seller, what happens if a POS buyer just up and says "Hey, I never got my book!" even though USPS tracking shows it was delivered?

btw... I despise dishonest buyers AND sellers and I know they're out there, and probably if one buys and sells long enough, one WILL encounter a thief (as evidenced by the Ebay-Banned list we keep updated here).

I have these questions as well. Thank you all for the good advice.

Bigs

Bigs

I always purchase a label myself and e-mail it the buyer. Haven't had any trouble that was yet.

As far as a buyer claiming they never received there item....I really don't know. I had it happen once, and always thought the situation sounded fishy, but I just ate it as a loss and refunded his money. Maybe he pulled one over, or maybe the USPS dropped the ball. Its a good reason to always pay for sig required on high dollar books.

Bigs

I always purchase a label myself and e-mail it the buyer. Haven't had any trouble that was yet.

As far as a buyer claiming they never received there item....I really don't know. I had it happen once, and always thought the situation sounded fishy, but I just ate it as a loss and refunded his money. Maybe he pulled one over, or maybe the USPS dropped the ball. Its a good reason to always pay for sig required on high dollar books.

if usps tracking shows they delivered it to the proper address, then shouldn't the buyer's dispute be with the post office and not the seller?

Bigs

if usps tracking shows they delivered it to the proper address, then shouldn't the buyer's dispute be with the post office and not the seller?

A lot of sellers try to operate under that assumption, but I have always looked at it like this...

If someone purchases something from me, it's my responsibility to ensure they receive what they paid for in the condition described. If the Post Office screws up and mis-delivers the package, or loses it, or damages it, they didn't get what they paid for. I have to make that right.

If an item is mis-delivered, or lost in transit, I think it should be the sellers job to handle any claim or investigation with the P.O. If you put that on the buyer, what happens when the P.O. ends up telling them "too bad, no trace of it"? I think the risk of loss/damage during shipping should fall solely on the seller.

I don't know how other people pay for return shipping but what I have done is get their email address from paypal and do a refund then paypal a separate amount for the return shipping.

Bigs

A lot of sellers try to operate under that assumption, but I have always looked at it like this...

If someone purchases something from me, it's my responsibility to ensure they receive what they paid for in the condition described. If the Post Office screws up and mis-delivers the package, or loses it, or damages it, they didn't get what they paid for. I have to make that right.

If an item is mis-delivered, or lost in transit, I think it should be the sellers job to handle any claim or investigation with the P.O. If you put that on the buyer, what happens when the P.O. ends up telling them "too bad, no trace of it"? I think the risk of loss/damage during shipping should fall solely on the seller.

I dunno.

As a BUYER, I would never even bother the seller if the USPS tracking said it was delivered to my address and I didn't get it. IMO, that puts it on the deliverer, not the seller. But that's just my opinion, even as a buyer.

Bigs

I dunno.

As a BUYER, I would never even bother the seller if the USPS tracking said it was delivered to my address and I didn't get it. IMO, that puts it on the deliverer, not the seller. But that's just my opinion, even as a buyer.

Lets say it was a $250 book, and the tracking shows that it was delivered to your house, but you didn't actually get it. Even if you took it up with the PO, the most Priority Mail Insurance pays out is $50 without paying for additional insurance (which a lot of sellers don't do). So even if they did approve the claim, as a buyer you would be OK with getting no book and only $50 back?

Also, this is my perspective as someone who sells quite a bit, but rarely buys outside of website pre orders, so I'm not just a needy buyer who doesn't want to accept any risk, lol

Bigs

I dunno.

Lets say it was a $250 book, and the tracking shows that it was delivered to your house, but you didn't actually get it. Even if you took it up with the PO, the most Priority Mail Insurance pays out is $50 without paying for additional insurance (which a lot of sellers don't do). So even if they did approve the claim, as a buyer you would be OK with getting no book and only $50 back?

Also, this is my perspective as someone who sells quite a bit, but rarely buys outside of website pre orders, so I'm not just a needy buyer who doesn't want to accept any risk, lol

As a seller, I wouldn't ship a $250 book without $250 insurance. But also as a seller, I wouldn't want eat a $250 "loss" that was clearly due to the USPS, or to a dishonest buyer.

As a buyer, I would expect a seller to properly insure a high-dollar purchase shipment.

Hope this isn't ever an issue we have to deal with. :cool: