• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine Color Break, whats it mean?

25 posts in this topic

mainly i would just like to know if a spine coulor break it bad enough to make the comic atleast an VF or lower

It depends on what it is. If your book has a crease running parallel to the spine all the way down the book, then you'd never get as high as VF 8.0.

But if you're talking about a modern book like Ultimate Spider-Man that has a glossy cover stock and has ink cracks all the way down the spine, you could still get 9.4 or 9.6 if the ink cracks are faint and the rest of the book is nice.

this is why i am asking, i have a lot of modern age superman comics that look perfect other than for maybe some very faint stress lines with no color break running perpendicular to the spine. But the spine color break i am talking about is when u look directly at the spine you can see it has turned white all the way down the spine( in some cases only part of the spine ha turned white), but only at the very peak of the spines edge. is this a bad defect enough to put it to a 8.0? Also on the topic of posting books on here or ebay or whatever whats the best way to get a high resolution shot thats large?

this is why i am asking, i have a lot of modern age superman comics that look perfect other than for maybe some very faint stress lines with no color break running perpendicular to the spine. But the spine color break i am talking about is when u look directly at the spine you can see it has turned white all the way down the spine( in some cases only part of the spine ha turned white), but only at the very peak of the spines edge. is this a bad defect enough to put it to a 8.0? Also on the topic of posting books on here or ebay or whatever whats the best way to get a high resolution shot thats large?

In most cases, the spine color flaking won't be bad enough to take the book down to 9.0, let alone 8.0.

The best way to get scans on here is to take a scan of the book, sign up for a free account with www.photobucket.com and then link to it here.

thank you, wow ppl are nice to newbies on here. I know about the cracks perpendicular to the spine. I just didnt know if having the imaginary line dividing the front cover and the back be white from wear was considered a major flaw. and what effect it has on grading.

Excuse me gents, but that describes a major flaw . . . gossip.gif

Let me just also clarify as we do in the Grading Guide itself that just because a specific individual defect is listed under a certain grade does NOT mean that this one defect itself, if present, immediately lowers the book to that grade. You also have to take into account how many other defects are present, how many defects in general we allow within each grade, and whether or not the severity of a particular defect overrides the otherwise excellent quality of the book in question.

Arnold

thank you, wow ppl are nice to newbies on here. I know about the cracks perpendicular to the spine. I just didnt know if having the imaginary line dividing the front cover and the back be white from wear was considered a major flaw. and what effect it has on grading.

It depends on the extent of the cracking along the spine. If it's bad, it's a major flaw. But if it's just the typical, minor edge cracking you see on Ultimate books, it doesn't get marked down all that much.

It depends on the extent of the cracking along the spine. If it's bad, it's a major flaw. But if it's just the typical, minor edge cracking you see on Ultimate books, it doesn't get marked down all that much.

We can only judge by what he says . . . and he says it has an, "imaginary (white) line dividing the front cover and the back . . . from wear"

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Doesn't sound like "cracking along the spine" at all sumo.gif

You made your point counsellor, now pay attention to the witness!

Not if he's talking about spine crack... that is, the white cracking/flecking that occurs on moderns along the spine where the cover is folded. I have 9.8s that have light flecking along the spine where it's folded.

This is most common on heavy paperstock and highly varnished covers. I wouldn't expect a newbie to know, but Diva, haven't you seen this topic any of the 100 or so times it's been discussed in the last year? poke2.giftongue.gif

Not if he's talking about spine crack... that is, the white cracking/flecking that occurs on moderns along the spine where the cover is folded. I have 9.8s that have light flecking along the spine where it's folded.

This is most common on heavy paperstock and highly varnished covers. I wouldn't expect a newbie to know, but Diva, haven't you seen this topic any of the 100 or so times it's been discussed in the last year? poke2.giftongue.gif

Yes, but I can't help it if he's illiterate. The description he gives doesn't sound like what the modern wimps refer to as "spine crack". Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's about any book after 1975 . . . sumo.gif

Yes, but I can't help it if he's illiterate. The description he gives doesn't sound like what the modern wimps refer to as "spine crack". Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's about any book after 1975 . . . sumo.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

BTW, I coined the term "spine crack" and I'm not a modern wimp!! But I do want credit if the term catches on. acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

BTW, I coined the term "spine crack" and I'm not a modern wimp!! But I do want credit if the term catches on. acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Zip, you know I wasn't referring to your zipness hail.gif Oh and btw, what part were you 893naughty-thumb.gifing?