• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help pls: How does a tear like this affect a grade?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a SA book which I can say has a grade of 8.0-9.0

Problem is, I just noticed 2 tears on the back cover.

What kind of affect on the grade will it have... Without that tear I already have the book at 8.5 middle ground. Seeing this tears on the back (bottom and near top right edge) which grade can it get knock down to?

Thanks!

Tear_zpsrpnwkb6o.jpg

Is the BC bottom left corner missing?

oh yeah I forgot to mention the bottom corner as well so 3 all in all..

thanks

how do u think will it affect the grade?

how may grade levels will it drop? or is there a maximum grade for having 3 tears?

Is the BC bottom left corner missing?

oh yeah I forgot to mention the bottom corner as well so 3 all in all..

thanks

how do u think will it affect the grade?

how may grade levels will it drop? or is there a maximum grade for having 3 tears?

I think it is more accurate to call these pieces missing/out not tears. I am not sure about multiple pieces out. You can definitely get 6.5 with one half quarter sized piece out on an otherwise VF/NM book. So assuming that is the ceiling for a piece missing maybe yours is at 5.0???

Given the tanned edge and the multiple chips, I'd be a little concerned the cover is somewhat brittle. On the plus side the defects all appear to be limited to the back cover, which means eye-appeal is unaffected.

Hard to say without seeing the entire book, but I'd think a < 6.0 grade is in order.