• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you learn that you suck/don't suck at grading?

48 posts in this topic

Dont take it personal, they graded your books not you crazy.gif

and let's see the back cover scan for #161 so we can judge for ourselves............

admittedly, as nice as it appears in the scan and with the minimal graders notes, it would have to be a pretty obvious defect - let's see.............

As to the topic of this post, I don't think I suck at gradign but I understand that I am far more Old School. That is I apply the OS grading guide standards and these do differ from CGC standards. Having grown up with OS as a lot of others have and not submitted as much as many on this forum, I am still more of an OS grader than a CGC grader - I do not think thats a bad thing either.

Fury's Revenge,

Three years ago I sent 5 books to test my grading ability. Here were the grades and corresponding issues.

me - cgc - title & #

9.4 - 9.6 hail.gif chamber of darkness #7

9.4 - 9.6 Doctor Strange #181 laugh.gif

9.4 - 9.2 Star Spangled War #105 frown.gif

9.6 - 9.8 Fantastic Four #146 laugh.gif

9.6 - 9.6 Spectre #4 (oakland) laugh.gif

The only reason I felt I was somewhat close was because I had always been a true mint freak (today's cgc would have meant no 9.2's ever, thank you) and would scrutinize books to the 'nth' degree. Ask Harley Yee about the Silver Age collection of House of Secrets and House of Mystery books I sold to him back in 1993...

My advice is this...look way more carefully at each book before submission...corners, each page, almost imperceptible indentions made in the cover...all those small things affect cgc's 'grade.' While I dislike miscut covers too, I've always found cgc to be very lenient on grading books with these defects. I had a Fury #12 that, despite grading out at a 9.4, was so horribly miscut I HAD TO GET RID OF IT!

Nikos 61 is right on the money on another point...the grade's by cgc are just that...CGC's grade.

Last, scrutinize other books you've purchased from ebay or wherever and use them as a baseline for future submissions. I've found that really helpful grading sub-9.0 books now that I've finally learned that comics don't HAVE to be 9.4s to be fun to collect.

Fury's Revenge,

Three years ago I sent 5 books to test my grading ability. Here were the grades and corresponding issues.

me - cgc - title & #

9.4 - 9.6 hail.gif chamber of darkness #7

9.4 - 9.6 Doctor Strange #181 laugh.gif

9.4 - 9.2 Star Spangled War #105 frown.gif

9.6 - 9.8 Fantastic Four #146 laugh.gif

9.6 - 9.6 Spectre #4 (oakland) laugh.gif

The only reason I felt I was somewhat close was because I had always been a true mint freak (today's cgc would have meant no 9.2's ever, thank you) and would scrutinize books to the 'nth' degree. Ask Harley Yee about the Silver Age collection of House of Secrets and House of Mystery books I sold to him back in 1993...

My advice is this...look way more carefully at each book before submission...corners, each page, almost imperceptible indentions made in the cover...all those small things affect cgc's 'grade.' While I dislike miscut covers too, I've always found cgc to be very lenient on grading books with these defects. I had a Fury #12 that, despite grading out at a 9.4, was so horribly miscut I HAD TO GET RID OF IT!

Nikos 61 is right on the money on another point...the grade's by cgc are just that...CGC's grade.

Last, scrutinize other books you've purchased from ebay or wherever and use them as a baseline for future submissions. I've found that really helpful grading sub-9.0 books now that I've finally learned that comics don't HAVE to be 9.4s to be fun to collect.

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

I have been trying to get a 9.9/10 grade from my books in the last couple of years. I dont mean recent (last year ) books.

I have probably submitted a little over 200 moderns, and I was so confident that my Rai 1-3 would come back 9.9 or even 10. They looked immaculate, perfect in every way. Well when they came back all 9.8s I stopped chasing that elusive 9.9 or better book in my collection.

Same applies to your books, there is probably something that you missed. Once you have a notion in your mind your books are NearMint or better, you start believing it. You go back a few days later and check them again and say, what the hell was I thinking calling this NearMint.

I put HG books aside for submissions, I cant tell how many times when the time came to submit I put them back because of something I missed.

I have been trying to get a 9.9/10 grade from my books in the last couple of years. I dont mean recent (last year ) books.

I have probably submitted a little over 200 moderns, and I was so confident that my Rai 1-3 would come back 9.9 or even 10. They looked immaculate, perfect in every way. Well when they came back all 9.8s I stopped chasing that elusive 9.9 or better book in my collection.

Same applies to your books, there is probably something that you missed. Once you have a notion in your mind your books are NearMint or better, you start believing it. You go back a few days later and check them again and say, what the hell was I thinking calling this NearMint.

I put HG books aside for submissions, I cant tell how many times when the time came to submit I put them back because of something I missed.

And I was happy with my 9.8 Lone wolf and Cub #1 foreheadslap.gif No - seriously, well said! thumbsup2.gif This is what we go through. I often "stage" books for several months before I submit them. (gossip.gif cheaper that way too gossip.gif)

Ok, it's not a great scan through plastic - but here goes:

1) dirt at staples

2) rust on lower staple

3) 2 NCB spine creases REBC

4) Small ink stain LEBC

5) Something funky goin' on LRBC

gossip.gifyou were lucky to get an 8.5 gossip.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I just don't understand it. To be clear on this, I knew that all of the books were not "perfect", so I didn't expect "perfect" grades. I did, however, believe these books were a step above the rest. I was looking through the grading notes and the inconsistancy throughout is astounding!!! For example, my 141 was a 9.4. Listed in the graders notes: Printing Crease FC; Printing Tear b/c; Bottom spine nick; spine stress. That is all on a 9.4!!! I've heard on this site that a grade is determined by the "combination of defects" with "some defect preventing specific grades"(true or not, I don't know). Assuming it IS true, my 140 has: Bend at spine(assume spine roll?), Dents on bottom (which I don't see on the book) and it's a 9.0. By my calculations my 140 should be at leat a 9.4 if not a 9.6!!! I personally think it's time for CGC to release some kind of grading guide. They will lose about HALF of their profit because people will no longer need to play, as I said in the first post, "the CGC lottery". I'm not asking for the complete guide to CGC grading methods, just a guideline for say, specific defects and their affect on the grade.

I just don't understand it. To be clear on this, I knew that all of the books were not "perfect", so I didn't expect "perfect" grades. I did, however, believe these books were a step above the rest. I was looking through the grading notes and the inconsistancy throughout is astounding!!! For example, my 141 was a 9.4. Listed in the graders notes: Printing Crease FC; Printing Tear b/c; Bottom spine nick; spine stress. That is all on a 9.4!!! I've heard on this site that a grade is determined by the "combination of defects" with "some defect preventing specific grades"(true or not, I don't know). Assuming it IS true, my 140 has: Bend at spine(assume spine roll?), Dents on bottom (which I don't see on the book) and it's a 9.0. By my calculations my 140 should be at leat a 9.4 if not a 9.6!!! I personally think it's time for CGC to release some kind of grading guide. They will lose about HALF of their profit because people will no longer need to play, as I said in the first post, "the CGC lottery". I'm not asking for the complete guide to CGC grading methods, just a guideline for say, specific defects and their affect on the grade.

Just so you know, there are multiple graders, all who will vary in their individual depth of detail when doing notes. Some defects may be extremely minor on your 141 and larger (though obviously not too great if the book still got a 9.0) on your 140. You admit you can't see the dents on the bottom of the 141. It may be hard to see thru the case. Did you take extensive notes on the books before you sent them in? Then you could go back to compare with the grader's notes once they come back.

I know that you feel bad. A lot of us on the boards have been there. At least none of the books you chose were restored...

Anyway good luck and keep us posted on what you send in for round two. If there is a round 2. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Dan

1) dirt at staples

2) rust on lower staple

4) Small ink stain LEBC

Im looking at the book: 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1)not dirt "ink transfer" (it's blue)

2)no rust, both staples are clean

3)not creases, more ink transfer

4)I'm thinking it's all ink transfer (I asked about this in another thread and was told ink transfer happens and it "should detract alot from the grade")

5)Something funky...i'm not sure what that means, but their might be a tiny spine stress mark, mixed with more IT

Anyway...no comments at all for the front cover. Does the one "bend" on the BC really make a book with a perfect cover a 9.0? confused-smiley-013.gif Only in CGC land!!!

thumbsup2.gif

1) dirt at staples

2) rust on lower staple

4) Small ink stain LEBC

4)I'm thinking it's all ink transfer (I asked about this in another thread and was told ink transfer happens and it "should detract alot from the grade")

5)Something funky...i'm not sure what that means, but their might be a tiny spine stress mark, mixed with more IT

Anyway...no comments at all for the front cover. Does the one "bend" on the BC really make a book with a perfect cover a 9.0? confused-smiley-013.gif Only in CGC land!!!

thumbsup2.gif

Since I'm so far off the mark - what were the graders' notes on this one??? 27_laughing.gif

1) dirt at staples

2) rust on lower staple

4) Small ink stain LEBC

thumbsup2.gif

Since I'm so far off the mark - what were the graders' notes on this one??? 27_laughing.gif

One note "Spine stress bottom back cover"...thats it!!!

"3) 2 NCB spine creases REBC" sumo.gif

O.K. If I give those to you is it an 8.5? confused-smiley-013.gif I guess my argument is moot, CGC has spoken and we all must cede to their grading authority!!! hail.gif I have a bunch of CGC 8.5 modern comics now, I guess. Maybe I should take the best one's out, resubmit and see if my "out of the hat" theory is true. I'm sure it's been done before!!!

I'm still looking for more opinions so rattle on Forumites!!!

Thanks for all of your input Big D!!! I appreciate your opinions!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Fury...I'm sorry your dissapointed.

But, we don't pull grades out of hats, we do have guidelines.

Each book though is different and we don't list every single defect on a book in our notes. We write down the major defect that brough us to our grade.

There may be a lot of other minor defects that we didn't write down.

It isn't a lottery.

At least 3 people looked at all your books.

I'm sorry your not happy.

If you continue not being happy your always welcome to call us and ask to talk to a higher up. We want you to understand the process and keep sending in books.

We don't hide anything.

"3) 2 NCB spine creases REBC" sumo.gif

O.K. If I give those to you is it an 8.5? confused-smiley-013.gif I guess my argument is moot, CGC has spoken and we all must cede to their grading authority!!! hail.gif I have a bunch of CGC 8.5 modern comics now, I guess. Maybe I should take the best one's out, resubmit and see if my "out of the hat" theory is true. I'm sure it's been done before!!!

I'm still looking for more opinions so rattle on Forumites!!!

Thanks for all of your input Big D!!! I appreciate your opinions!!!! thumbsup2.gif

i think we all share your pain here.

i sent in many JIM's that came back as 8.5's that i thiught were beautiful books. trouble was i didn't know how to grade very well at the time and would submit pretty books without even looking at the back covers, let alone opening the books up to do any interior review.

your PIC's just aren't clear enough for anyone to give you an honest assessment. Diva was doing his best to guess at what he was seeing in your scan, but you have countered each of his potential defects with "ink transfer"...............

on the surface a book which "appears" to be as nice as this, with so few graders notes, would theoretically grade higher, but until the Forum can see the book better, we're never going to reach any conclusion.

good luck with any future submissions. thumbsup2.gif

if you ever get a scanner or the use of one, post big clear pictures of both covers and we can revisit this on a more factual basis.