• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant: Book of Death & Legend of the Geomancer

79 posts in this topic

Unsure, because one title that sells 5000 may be carried by another that sells 30K at the same company. Plus with digital sales not being calculated, it really depends on the publisher to determine if a book earns or costs them money.

Unsure, because one title that sells 5000 may be carried by another that sells 30K at the same company. Plus with digital sales not being calculated, it really depends on the publisher to determine if a book earns or costs them money.

Reprint / TPB sales as well.

But I don't think 5k is a bad place to imagine that line. There has to be a line somewhere.

Read "The Valiant" TPB if you want to see what the Geomancer and good guys are up against!

I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had not read a Valiant book for a couple of decades and this was recommended by my LCS because I said I wanted to read the Book of Death floppies (was that a run-on sentence?).

I have to read book one, but I have it. Really looking forward to it too

My shop must have ordered heavy then because they had ample supply of every cover this weekend even variants.

Why wouldn't they order heavy?

It's a four month promotion from a company with a MONSTER media deal.

ANY shop that is out week one of a well received product, simply wasn't paying attention.

Posting shop inventories week one is pretty goofy.

IMHO.

( do you actually believe a small business orders inventory for a one week period?!?)

My shop must have ordered heavy then because they had ample supply of every cover this weekend even variants.

ANY shop that is out week one of a well received product, simply wasn't paying attention.

IMHO.

( do you actually believe a small business orders inventory for a one week period?!?)

Book of Death #1 was a "can't lose" situation for retailers.

The books were $0.80 each with discount... and there are 1:10, 1:20, and 1:60 variants.

Then there is the 1:25 Legends of the Geomancer #1 exclusive.

Assume a shop orders 60 copies at $0.80 each.... that's $48.

Let's also assume there's some shipping associated with 60 books, so let's call it an even $60 with shipping.

Now, you've got six variants at 1:10, three at 1:20, and one at 1:60.

Those aren't discounted as much, so those 10 books are $3 each... for another $30.

There's also two copies of the 1:25 Legends of the Geomancer #1 for $3 each.

Total investment: $96

60 copies of the Book of Death #1 (various non-incentive covers)

6 variants at 1:10

3 variants at 1:20

1 variant at 1:60

2 copies of Legends of the Geomancer #1

Sell the Legends of the Geomancer #1 for $20 each... that's $40.

Sell the 6 variants of the 1:10 for $5 each... that's $30.

Sell the 3 variants of the 1:20 for $10 each... that's $30.

Lookie there... you've already made $100 back, only spent $96...

and you still have 60 copies of a $3.99 retail book AND the 1:60 variant to price... whatever. $2? $1? 10cents? Free?

Even assuming you can't sell ANY of those leftover 61 books, including the 1:60... you still profit.

Can't. Lose.

Throw the regular issues in bags as free books... you've already made your money back.

You might make some new Valiant customers who will give you more profit EVERY month for new Valiant books.

Retailers who can't understand this (obviously not talking about Larry) simply shouldn't be in business.

IMHO.

See, you are assuming I have all the information you have.

I just walk into my shop and see a new book that they ordered large on. I dont know anything

about the incentive. It just an observation. They have all the variants laid out for purchase which they never do and I just thought maybe they think this one will be big. (shrug)

This works for much stronger titles like Harley or Deadpool very nicely as well - the variants put you in the black before you even start selling the regular issues. (thumbs u

That being said, I know LCSs here that did not order large on the book for the simple fact that they do not have many Valiant file customers. Sure, they might miss out on a hot variant every once in a while, but they do not speculate like they did in the late 80s/early 90s after being burnt back then.

I had two retailers get a glazed look in their eyes when I tried to do this type of math/scenario for them. And I think you left out that issue 1 was returnable. The one guy who did understand sold me two issues and the geomancer for $20. He could have charged me more, and sometimes I give him more than he asks, but I am keeping this book and not flipping it so he was cool with the $20. Now I tried to get him to order more but he only went with the 25 issues. Turns out maybe that was smarter as now they are basing variants off the initial Book 1 order. (Something associated with Book 2 is 'order 65% of book one to qualify'. so the more you bought the harder it might be to get the later incentives.)

I had two retailers get a glazed look in their eyes when I tried to do this type of math/scenario for them. And I think you left out that issue 1 was returnable. The one guy who did understand sold me two issues and the geomancer for $20. He could have charged me more, and sometimes I give him more than he asks, but I am keeping this book and not flipping it so he was cool with the $20. Now I tried to get him to order more but he only went with the 25 issues. Turns out maybe that was smarter as now they are basing variants off the initial Book 1 order. (Something associated with Book 2 is 'order 65% of book one to qualify'. so the more you bought the harder it might be to get the later incentives.)

The incentive ratios are set for the rest of the mini. Legends of the Geomancer is distributed at 1:10. The 65% order minimum is to obtain the same discount on the subsequent issues.

I had two retailers get a glazed look in their eyes when I tried to do this type of math/scenario for them.

They deserve to go out of business.

Many businesses fail... and some don't deserve it.

They deserve it.

The incentive ratios are set for the rest of the mini. Legends of the Geomancer is distributed at 1:10. The 65% order minimum is to obtain the same discount on the subsequent issues.

I don't think so as the discount was 80% on issue 1 and 75% on issue 2. I forget what the 65% was for though.

I don't think so as the discount was 80% on issue 1 and 75% on issue 2. I forget what the 65% was for though.

Okay, maybe not the same discount. But a bigger discount that the retailer would get without the minimum.

I had two retailers get a glazed look in their eyes when I tried to do this type of math/scenario for them.

They deserve to go out of business.

Many businesses fail... and some don't deserve it.

They deserve it.

My question - do these stores still order big on Marvel and DC and get the variants?

My file LCS did not order big on the BoD, even though it was returnable, for the simple fact that they do not have a ton of Valiant file customers. That being said, they go big on Marvel and DC books that they know they will sell as back issues and flip the variants. In the end, they might miss out on the odd hot indie book, but long term they do fine on the books that will always sell. I can't fault their logic - ASM will sell well 5 years from now in the back issue bins but the Valiant titles will likely not. It is great to have the variants, but if you have low file customer interest to start with what use is a variant that you may not be able to sell?

FWIW, I speculate on a few titles every month for flipping at local shows. I could have ordered enough BoDs to get the variants, but decided my $$$ were better off going elsewhere since the track record on a lot of the Valiant variants has been spotty to date. I will take a Deadpool mini that I can buy 100 copies of each issue that I know will sell individually or in sets within a year for 2x or 3x (or more) cost. The variants will cover the cost of the entire purchase and generate a profit while I leak out the rest over the next year or two for a greater return on my $$$. (shrug)

That's ENTIRELY untrue...

Future incentives are 1:10

I love how you advanced human beings on the CGC forum paint ALL retailers as moronic boobs...

You are such a cunning lot.

No, maybe the part in parentheses and the statement just prior is incorrect but the rest in entirely true. And only two of these retailers were moronic, not the third.

I know the future geomancers are 1:10 but aren't there other incentives?

Just bustin' chops Larry! I know they are not ...the retailers preview book is giant and I don't expect them to catch every thing in there. And you are the one painting everyone with one brush, not me.