• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Portland or Rose City Comicon

31 posts in this topic

I thought airport is only 8 miles? How about Hilton Vancouver Suites-Portland? Will that be closer?

Get a hotel near Portland airport only if your spouse or GF was planning on buying no state tax goods from Costco which is towards that side of the city. Save driving time by staying at Hilton Vancouver, WA next to I-5 hwy. Can't get lost and closer to I Love Comics shop which I believe is in Vancouver, WA.

So Rose City is not in downtown Portland?

I define downtown Portland as around Powell's City of Books, thus Rose City is 'away' from downtown. So far just 2 collectors in my car for Rose City show. Staying the Friday night in some hotel.

I thought airport is only 8 miles? How about Hilton Vancouver Suites-Portland? Will that be closer?

Get a hotel near Portland airport only if your spouse or GF was planning on buying no state tax goods from Costco which is towards that side of the city. Save driving time by staying at Hilton Vancouver, WA next to I-5 hwy. Can't get lost and closer to I Love Comics shop which I believe is in Vancouver, WA.

So Rose City is not in downtown Portland?

I define downtown Portland as around Powell's City of Books, thus Rose City is 'away' from downtown. So far just 2 collectors in my car for Rose City show. Staying the Friday night in some hotel.

Comparatively, Portland is pretty small. The convention center may not be technically "downtown" but it's just across the Willamette River and a short train ride from downtown where we have nicer hotels than the ones right by the con.

fyi, Powell's is in the Pearl District.

Here's an interesting Portland hotel to stay at. Not particularly near the con but a fun place to stay. It's a converted elementary school. http://www.mcmenamins.com/KennedySchool

Here's an interesting Portland hotel to stay at. Not particularly near the con but a fun place to stay. It's a converted elementary school. http://www.mcmenamins.com/KennedySchool

Now this is a different kind of hotel I'd not mind try out! Too bad they are full already on this weekend (there was one Sunday but this is after the con ends - not worth it). Maybe next time?

Wonder if there will be "teachers" to wake me up in the morning, like I did when I was a student? Had one teacher in high school like that when I was asleep on my desk. lol

Here is the link to RCCC:

Rose City Comic Con

Has anyone been to Cloud 9's brick and mortar comic shop? Think they opened in Portland, OR a couple of months ago. How far would Cloud 9 be from the Rose City con center or Powell's City of Books? :foryou:

One of the best things I like about Portland is the cheap parking 1 (thumbs u block from RCCC. Early morning Sat., I think I paid $6 or $9 for most of the day.

Compare :tonofbricks: to Vancouver Fan Expo that has 'discounted' convention parking at $3.75/hr 3 blocks away or $14 for about 2 hours 1 block away.

If anyone is running the Half Marathon or full Marathon in Portland, OR on Oct. 4/15, you may use this coupon code Van2PDX to save some $ on registration fee. Code expires May 10/15.

One of the best things I like about Portland is the cheap parking 1 (thumbs u block from RCCC. Early morning Sat., I think I paid $6 or $9 for most of the day.

Compare :tonofbricks: to Vancouver Fan Expo that has 'discounted' convention parking at $3.75/hr 3 blocks away or $14 for about 2 hours 1 block away.

If anyone is running the Half Marathon or full Marathon in Portland, OR on Oct. 4/15, you may use this coupon code Van2PDX to save some $ on registration fee. Code expires May 10/15.

If you park just underneath the Fairmont Pacific Rim the parking is only $10. Only a few people knows about this.

Has anyone been to Cloud 9's brick and mortar comic shop? Think they opened in Portland, OR a couple of months ago. How far would Cloud 9 be from the Rose City con center or Powell's City of Books? :foryou:

Ken and Jeff's store is about six blocks or so from Excalibur. They do not sell any new comics. Cloud 9's Facebook page.

As for Rose City, it is steering more toward a pop con than anything else. A couple of dealers I spoke with in Seattle said they would not be returning to the show. Rose City does have a great artist alley!

WWPDX sucks in my opinion. It's more of 2.25 days than a full 3 days.

The convention center in PDX has much better food than ECCC but this year at ECCC they had some food trucks which made it better.

Never got a chance to experience RCCC as it was in Oct.

There is also a 2.5 day Galacticon at Seattle Center Pavilion in summer, 2015 but is is geared towards Sci-fi, not comics. Vendors booths about $525 and up.

fyi, the local Vancouver Comic-con at Heritage Hall has postponed their May 24/15 show due to lack of vendors, :tonofbricks: and all independent press creators will be at the bigger 2 day Yaletown Comix show May 23-24/15.

There is also a 2.5 day Galacticon at Seattle Center Pavilion in summer, 2015 but is is geared towards Sci-fi, not comics. Vendors booths about $525 and up.

fyi, the local Vancouver Comic-con at Heritage Hall has postponed their May 24/15 show due to lack of vendors, :tonofbricks: and all independent press creators will be at the bigger 2 day Yaletown Comix show May 23-24/15.

I think vendors are already getting fed up with the Heritage show. I heard that the organizer is bad at responding to emails. It's like The VanFanExpo organizer learning from the Heritage Show organizer.

I believe the Heritage Hall 'promoter' did organize most of the local artists/inkers to show up at Van Fan Expo the last 4 years.

Heritage Hall will be having a shoe show instead, I believe, on Sun. May 24/15 in East Vancouver. :tonofbricks: More folks buy shoes than buy comics.