• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Portland or Rose City Comicon

31 posts in this topic

Priority:

1. ECCC - closer to Vancouver, BC, nice hotels, great food, comics, artist alley. Nice Half Price Books stores. Parking problems, backed up I-5 hwy access and off ramps to ECCC.

2. Rose City - not nearly as crowded as ECCC. Solid artist alley. More mom and pop vendors compared to Wizard Portland. I have dealer's access for both Rose <3 City and Jet City, Tacoma, WA.

3. Never been to Wizard Portland as too rainy in Feb. to drive the I-5. Don't usually buy much from Powell's City of Books downtown.

Priority:

1. ECCC - closer to Vancouver, BC, nice hotels, great food, comics, artist alley. Nice Half Price Books stores. Parking problems, backed up I-5 hwy access and off ramps to ECCC.

2. Rose City - not nearly as crowded as ECCC. Solid artist alley. More mom and pop vendors compared to Wizard Portland. I have dealer's access for both Rose <3 City and Jet City, Tacoma, WA.

3. Never been to Wizard Portland as too rainy in Feb. to drive the I-5. Don't usually buy much from Powell's City of Books downtown.

Thanks. I heard that line ups is not bad at Rose City to get sketches from the artist.

Priority:

RCCC is only two days. ECCC will now be four and WWPDX is three days. It wouldn't surprise me if RCCC shifts to three days next year.

How is Rose City on the comics selection in the booths? Good varies with GA/SA/BA groups? I might look in doing a road trip for a weekend ... it's only 5 hours for me, and Sept 19-20 are good dates for me.

Only trouble is where to stay? I notice the hotels near RCCC are pretty expensive.

How is Rose City on the comics selection in the booths? Good varies with GA/SA/BA groups? I might look in doing a road trip for a weekend ... it's only 5 hours for me, and Sept 19-20 are good dates for me.

Only trouble is where to stay? I notice the hotels near RCCC are pretty expensive.

Less GA than other groups but a few vendors bring it. RCCC is trying to be more pop culture (ack!) than comic book show. I guess most big conventions are also trying that too?

I bring as much silver, copper and moderns that I can. If I can score some GA, I'd bring that too.

Have zero idea on hotels since I live here so will let others chime in.

Affordable hotels in north Portland, Oregon (e.g. Red Lion Inn) near the Expo fairgrounds or can get cheaper hotel in Vancouver, WA side of the border (e.g. Days Inn next to a steakhouse). Hotels near the Portland airport may be cheaper but too far a drive from the I-5 and Rose City con center.

Both are trash tbh...

Glorious collectible "trash" compared to Vancouver's sad Fan Expo where all 3 of the top comic creative talent/artists cancelled, but 1 remarkably showed up with 2 days notice ahead of the 2.5 day Expo. Also about 1/2 of the comic vendors did not renew their booths from Easter, 2014 to Easter, 2015. Beamer knows that feeling. doh!

Both are trash tbh...

Glorious collectible "trash" compared to Vancouver's sad Fan Expo where all 3 of the top comic creative talent/artists cancelled, but 1 remarkably showed up with 2 days notice ahead of the 2.5 Expo. Also about 1/2 of the comic vendors did not renew their booths from Easter, 2014 to Easter, 2015. Beamer knows that feeling. doh!

Let's just hope next year will be better. hm

I thought airport is only 8 miles? How about Hilton Vancouver Suites-Portland? Will that be closer?

Get a hotel near Portland airport only if your spouse or GF was planning on buying no state tax goods from Costco which is towards that side of the city. Save driving time by staying at Hilton Vancouver, WA next to I-5 hwy. Can't get lost and closer to I Love Comics shop which I believe is in Vancouver, WA.

Also November, 2016 Van Fan Expo will probably have LESS Ottawa/Montreal vendors show up, as there is no AB comicon in Nov/16 to justify the huge cost in time and $$ to bring their staff and long boxes to peewee Van Fan Expo to breakeven.

I thought airport is only 8 miles? How about Hilton Vancouver Suites-Portland? Will that be closer?

Get a hotel near Portland airport only if your spouse or GF was planning on buying no state tax goods from Costco which is towards that side of the city. Save driving time by staying at Hilton Vancouver, WA next to I-5 hwy. Can't get lost and closer to I Love Comics shop which I believe is in Vancouver, WA.

Also November, 2016 Van Fan Expo will probably have LESS Ottawa/Montreal vendors show up, as there is no AB comicon in Nov/16 to justify the huge cost in time and $$ to bring their staff and long boxes to peewee Van Fan Expo to breakeven.

So Rose City is not in downtown Portland?

if I decide to go I can get another room at the Hilton for $39.00 :applause:

Heck... that one I would take on your offer! I can do 2 nights to sleep over weekend. (thumbs u)

If that expo show is a go for me....

Heck... that one I would take on your offer! I can do 2 nights to sleep over weekend. (thumbs u)

Maybe I can hitch a ride with you. :)

I will see who else is coming. Right now I don't see anyone that I like.

What's sales tax? (shrug)

I've heard many times over that the Costco in PDX is the busiest in the world because of no sales tax and it draws from Washington State and B.C. But that could be total BS, for all I know.

Jerome

Maybe I can hitch a ride with you. :)

I will see who else is coming. Right now I don't see anyone that I like.

Yah, you're welcome if you want. I have a mini van with enough seats and space for comics + clothes.

What's sales tax? (shrug)

I've heard many times over that the Costco in PDX is the busiest in the world because of no sales tax and it draws from Washington State and B.C. But that could be total BS, for all I know.

Jerome

I also know Oregon don't have sales tax ... but Costco? That I do not know this fact. hm