• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

I would expect more works to hit TV/film more in the next five years than ever before.

.... I am confident that there will be an increase in successful comic book driven movies and TV which will only increase the number of comic book speculators.

Sure, I can see a crash coming, but I would expect a new large wave of speculators before we see a crash.

I still believe that between Boom/Fox, Skybound/NBCU, Valiant/Sony, Marvel/Netflix, etc more speculators are to come before we experience a crash.

I agree that at some point the market will be saturated or a string of bad movies are imminent. But that won't happen for 5+ years.

To all those who provided input: thank you for the edification.

One thing I think we routinely lose sight of is the emerging markets overseas. I know I've said this before, but I think Mile High's Chuck once said something like 20% of his comics are going out the door to countries overseas now. I suspect that figure will only increase as geek-friendly markets develop in India and Asia. And as disposable income grows over there...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this old thread again, but I have some notes from my reading of the writings of antique dealers/collectors Harry Rinker (http://www.harryrinker.com/columns.html) and Ed Welch (http://journalofantiques.com/category/news/the-best-of-ed-welch/).

Questions to consider

• What is the role of Europeans in comic collecting and how will the rise of the EU influence comic collecting? What about Asian countries?
  • Are collections complete if they do not include examples from outside your native country?

There are 4 parts to the collecting community

1. Local. The local collecting community dominated prior to the 1960s. It is associated with the community, rooted in the locale and local pride.

2. Regional. The regional community started to take shape in the early 1960s until the mid 1970s. State or ethnic in focus; rooted in memory, peer, and society (social groups).

3. National. Post 1945 (WWII) until the 1970s the national collecting community challenged for market dominance. American collectibles rise to the forefront.

4. Global. The global collecting community is challenging now and are transitioning as leaders in what is becoming a global collecting market place.

One implication of this, at least in the U.S.A. is that if you take the object back to its place of origin, you can double the value (as a general rule).

What are other implications?

According to Rinker et al., 60-75% of Americans collect something. America is largely considered “the great mother lode” and its influence post-1945 is mainly in popular culture, music, film, & TV

50% of UK collect

35-40% of Australians

20-25% Europeans and Canadians

Asia is the great unknown; however Japan’s influence is felt across many collecting categories, e.g. tin toys.

One thing I think we routinely lose sight of is the emerging markets overseas. I know I've said this before, but I think Mile High's Chuck once said something like 20% of his comics are going out the door to countries overseas now. I suspect that figure will only increase as geek-friendly markets develop in India and Asia. And as disposable income grows over there...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this old thread again, but I have some notes from my reading of the writings of antique dealers/collectors Harry Rinker (http://www.harryrinker.com/columns.html) and Ed Welch (http://journalofantiques.com/category/news/the-best-of-ed-welch/).

Questions to consider

• What is the role of Europeans in comic collecting and how will the rise of the EU influence comic collecting? What about Asian countries?
  • Are collections complete if they do not include examples from outside your native country?

1. Local. The local collecting community dominated prior to the 1960s. It is associated with the community, rooted in the locale and local pride.

2. Regional. The regional community started to take shape in the early 1960s until the mid 1970s. State or ethnic in focus; rooted in memory, peer, and society (social groups).

3. National. Post 1945 (WWII) until the 1970s the national collecting community challenged for market dominance. American collectibles rise to the forefront.

4. Global. The global collecting community is challenging now and are transitioning as leaders in what is becoming a global collecting market place.

One implication of this, at least in the U.S.A. is that if you take the object back to its place of origin, you can double the value (as a general rule).

According to Rinker et al., 60-75% of Americans collect something. America is largely considered “the great mother lode” and its influence post-1945 is mainly in popular culture, music, film, & TV

50% of UK collect

35-40% of Australians

Asia is the great unknown; however Japan’s influence is felt across many collecting categories, e.g. tin toys.

Europeans already collect U.S. comics. When I was in Paris back in November, I was very surprised to see all of the comic shops I visited carried U.S. comics. In most cases, the U.S. comics outnumbered the other comics in the store. I visited 6 comic shops and you can imagine my surprise (and disappointment) as I walked through these shops that had the same offerings as what I could get here in the U.S.

Now, my experience may not be indicative of all of Europe, but I suspect much of Europe is the same.

Questions to consider

50% of UK collect

35-40% of Australians

Harry Rinker is a very intelligent man ,and is probably the most authoritative figure in the collectible and antique fields. He`s been doing it for over 50 years!

One thing he always says though is throw everything out the window with the millennial generation.

Why?

Most millennials are only into collecting stuff for their electronic devices like their iPads and tablets.

We are basically going thru a transition period from stuff you can hold to stuff you can download.

It should be an interesting future that awaits the collectible and antiques fields.

I think comic books will be one of the few collectibles that come out on top.

Good points.

Was having just this discussion at lunch today.

The oldest Millennials are now 34 & as a group they not even buying a) property or b) cars the way earlier populations did. As a group they're embracing the sharing economy far more than previous generations, both by ability and design.

I think millennials do collect things, just not physical items. They collect within technology, like mine craft stuff or iTunes library or Hearthstone cards.

Kind of makes you wonder if there is the possibility that a disruptive technology could eliminate the desirability of physical comics. But the problem with digital items is they can be reproduced and replicated so easy that it doesn't make any particular item carry forward a value.

Any thoughts on features that could make digital comics appreciate in value?

I think millennials do collect things, just not physical items. They collect within technology, like mine craft stuff or iTunes library or Hearthstone cards.

Kind of makes you wonder if there is the possibility that a disruptive technology could eliminate the desirability of physical comics. But the problem with digital items is they can be reproduced and replicated so easy that it doesn't make any particular item carry forward a value.

Having some sort of unique digital "key" connected to each issue. Maybe you need a combination (i.e. a "run" of issues) to unlock a particular issue?

If a person values a rare knife in CS:GO, I can easily see them value a rare comic cover in a digital library. Explanation below.

Explanation for those unfamiliar with CS:GO

There are knives and weapons in CounterStrike that are highly sought after but provide zero advantages (cosmetic only).

My guess is a lot of folks like them for their rarity and not cosmetics in game. I could see a limited edition bit added to digital comics. For instance, 1 in 1,000 digital comics are a unique cover to go in your digital library. And you can allow friends or the general public or forum see your digital library.

Karambit -- Extremely rare CS:GO knife

If a person values a rare knife in CS:GO, I can easily see them value a rare comic cover in a digital library. Explanation below.

Explanation for those unfamiliar with CS:GO

There are knives and weapons in CounterStrike that are highly sought after but provide zero advantages (cosmetic only).

My guess is a lot of folks like them for their rarity and not cosmetics in game. I could see a limited edition bit added to digital comics. For instance, 1 in 1,000 digital comics are a unique cover to go in your digital library. And you can allow friends or the general public or forum see your digital library.

Karambit -- Extremely rare CS:GO knife

And you can buy those variants with Bitcoin.

Sharing economy? Like take from one and give to the other ?

Yes. Taking benefits and living wages from employees and giving them to hedge fund managers and the investor class.

There's no such thing as a "pie", whereby "giving somebody more" means "someone else gets less."

It is a myth, and reflects a lack of understanding of how economics works.

Has anyone considered that the 20-25 year nostalgia cycle may not be for the books of the '90s, but rather for the speculation on books from the '90s?

Or someone found a box and dusted off some old Wizard magazines to find out what should be hot?

Has anyone considered that the 20-25 year nostalgia cycle may not be for the books of the '90s, but rather for the speculation on books from the '90s?

Or someone found a box and dusted off some old Wizard magazines to find out what should be hot?

Oddly, a good number of the books in Wizard's Comic Watch are the every ones that people are hunting for now. (I know because I recently went through most of the first 100 issues so I could prep them for eBay; they take up way too much space)

Oddly, a good number of the books in Wizard's Comic Watch are the every ones that people are hunting for now. (I know because I recently went through most of the first 100 issues so I could prep them for eBay; they take up way too much space)

Makes sense, there were lots of kids reading Wizard and wishing they had those books.

Those kids are able to buy them now.

Sharing economy? Like take from one and give to the other ?

Yes. Taking benefits and living wages from employees and giving them to hedge fund managers and the investor class.

There's no such thing as a "pie", whereby "giving somebody more" means "someone else gets less."

It is a myth, and reflects a lack of understanding of how economics works.

your tax rate as a comic mogul is 2X+ that of a hedge fund manager. really, that's my main gripe right now and it is a bipartisan issue as wall street has bought both sides of the aisle.

and, actually RMA, sometimes these financial types (though not so much the hedge find managers, but rather, private equity fund managers) indeed tear apart and gut a company, leaving unemployed folks in the wake, gutting pension plans, sending jobs oversees, loading up a company with debt, sucking all the equity out of it and then declaring bankruptcy, etc etc.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/greed-and-debt-the-true-story-of-mitt-romney-and-bain-capital-20120829

and sometimes they help a company get the funds it needs to grow and employ more people or take over a company, make needed changes so that it can avoid bankruptcy, etc.

it's not black or white, bad or good.