• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

My main focus of collecting is silver & bronze age keys, and GA pre-code horror. I think I'm crash proof

The only people who need to worry about a crash or a bubble are the speculators putting their money into modern books, which will always be volatile because, in most cases, there are more than enough high-grade copies to go around once the speculators let go of their copies. And, yes, that includes those supposedly "rare" variant editions.

Buy Golden Age, Pre-Code Horror, and prime Silver Age books and you don't really need to worry. Those books will always go up and, at the worst, hold their value.

Most 2-15 year olds are not in to superheroes.

in TV its all about the 18-49 demographics..

And WD seems to be nailing it with those

hm

So you agree?

And last.. I know some long time dealers that will tell you that the market IS dead compared to the 80s-90s

Yup, proof of that are the considerably lower print runs, and also the fact that any joe schmo could be a "dealer" now online. The market is waaaaaaay more saturated than it ever was.

My main focus of collecting is silver & bronze age keys, and GA pre-code horror. I think I'm crash proof

The only people who need to worry about a crash or a bubble are the speculators putting their money into modern books, which will always be volatile because, in most cases, there are more than enough high-grade copies to go around once the speculators let go of their copies. And, yes, that includes those supposedly "rare" variant editions.

Buy Golden Age, Pre-Code Horror, and prime Silver Age books and you don't really need to worry. Those books will always go up and, at the worst, hold their value.

They always go up! lol

Superhero comics have had a pretty good run. No end in sight as far as I can tell.

It would seem more likely to prognosticate the end of comics as a print medium period, but I rarely see anyone on these boards make that argument. In stead it is always about the impending crash.

What happened to GA and SA keys, even non-keys for that matter, during the 90's crash?

Curious, as I did not collect those ages back then.

They went down, too. The only thing that went up during the general malaise of the late 90's/early 2000's was ultra rare, ultra high grade, or both.

Superhero comics have had a pretty good run. No end in sight as far as I can tell.

It would seem more likely to prognosticate the end of comics as a print medium period, but I rarely see anyone on these boards make that argument. In stead it is always about the impending crash.

This thread isn't about an impending crash, but what one might do if the crash should come.

What happened to GA and SA keys, even non-keys for that matter, during the 90's crash?

Curious, as I did not collect those ages back then.

They went down, too. The only thing that went up during the general malaise of the late 90's/early 2000's was ultra rare, ultra high grade, or both.

Thank you, sir.

This thread isn't about an impending crash, but what one might do if the crash should come.

Seems like most are saying they'd buy, but I don't personally believe that. Many say that about the stock market as well, but the statistics don't back that up. Maybe the best informed do, which is perhaps what most on this board would be considered with regards to this industry, so I guess it could go either way.

I'm almost certain I'd be buying since I don't consider any of this an investment and every dollar spent is considered part of my entertainment budget.

Seems like most are saying they'd buy, but I don't personally believe that. Many say that about the stock market as well, but the statistics don't back that up. Maybe the best informed do, which is perhaps what most on this board would be considered with regards to this industry, so I guess it could go either way.

I'm almost certain I'd be buying since I don't consider any of this an investment and every dollar spent is considered part of my entertainment budget.

I bought, and bought, and bought, and bought.

I got into comics in 1989/1990, and by then, it was far, far too late to get anything "cheap." Everything was headed upwards, and would only get worse until the mad year of 1993.

So, my only perspective was a crazy market, getting crazier and crazier. There was ALWAYS the urge to "buy now, because next month, it will be twice the price"....and, sadly, that was mostly true.

So, when the crash happened....it took several years for dealers to clue in, and eBay started making major headway....it was a thrill. Books that were $150, now $10? Hell yes! Give me all of them! $250 books for $50? $50 books for $2?

Give it to me, all of it, and more! From 1999-2003, every spare dime I had went to buying everything I couldn't afford in the early 90's. Death in the Family, McFarlanes, Turtles, Grendel, Cerebus, Silver Age Bats, Golden Age Bats, Thanos, Starlins, you name it.

It was an incredible time to buy, and my only regret is that I didn't/couldn't buy more.

I bought, and bought, and bought, and bought.

I got into comics in 1989/1990, and by then, it was far, far too late to get anything "cheap." Everything was headed upwards, and would only get worse until the mad year of 1993.

So, my only perspective was a crazy market, getting crazier and crazier. There was ALWAYS the urge to "buy now, because next month, it will be twice the price"....and, sadly, that was mostly true.

So, when the crash happened....it took several years for dealers to clue in, and eBay started making major headway....it was a thrill. Books that were $150, now $10? Hell yes! Give me all of them! $250 books for $50? $50 books for $2?

Give it to me, all of it, and more! From 1999-2003, every spare dime I had went to buying everything I couldn't afford in the early 90's. Death in the Family, McFarlanes, Turtles, Grendel, Cerebus, Silver Age Bats, Golden Age Bats, Thanos, Starlins, you name it.

It was an incredible time to buy, and my only regret is that I didn't/couldn't buy more.

I bet that was a blast...

I can't imaging having the disposable income I have now back in those days. Would have been nuts.