• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

Will people stop going to the movies?

If not, what will they prefer to superhero movies?

Sad dramas?

Dumb-and-dumber-hangovers?

Teen musicals?

Fast-cars-keep-driving-faster?

Westerns?

Pole-dancing-dudes-part-12?

Obviously, Star Wars is expected to do well... once a year... or once every two years.

But what else?

I can see how people may get tired of superhero movies, but I don't see what's next... unless it's empty theaters.

Another crash/bubble thread

I still remember the big market crash thread that was made in 2003 and how people said that it was just a bubble when people were paying 16X guide for slabs, those people who did are sitting pretty now.

Everything in moderation.....I wasn't collecting much in 2003 but survived the early 90s....there's always a correction in markets whether it's stocks or comics....diversify

9JQttKY.jpg

Here's a bit of free advice for those of you who haven't been around the comics world for a few decades.

If the crash comes....maybe it won't, but maybe it will....something to keep in mind is the concept of "once hot, now not."

A book that, at one point in its life, was HOT HOT HOT!!!!!, but that cooled down later, and floated back down to average, has a much better chance of becoming HOT HOT HOT!!!! in the market again at some later point, should the market recover.

So what should I be picking up now, or are we just armchair quarterbacking?

Here's a bit of free advice for those of you who haven't been around the comics world for a few decades.

If the crash comes....maybe it won't, but maybe it will....something to keep in mind is the concept of "once hot, now not."

A book that, at one point in its life, was HOT HOT HOT!!!!!, but that cooled down later, and floated back down to average, has a much better chance of becoming HOT HOT HOT!!!! in the market again at some later point, should the market recover.

Just go with the overly said cliche' of "What what you like" haha

We don't play armchair QB, we play armchair GM

Everything has it's time, I don't deal with many moderns or even the variants because after 2 months, the book is dead. By the time you get it, have it graded, get it back, no one wants it anymore.

The best comics to hang onto are the ones with no variant, polybagged or special cover. Most comics that sell for a premium doesn't have any of that nonsense. Does Walking Dead 1 have any kind of special cover? Nope. What about BA 12? Nope again.

I will say this though, if a "late 90's crash" was to ever happen again, I'll buy everything in sight, because then it becomes a buyer's market. We're in a seller's market right now and you can thank all these comic book movies for that since thats what pushing all this stuff. So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

I don't see that happening any time soon, This has been going on since the early 2000's and many more films are being made, it's what brings people into the theater.

As long as the quality remains & you don't start getting Marvel doing FF/Punisher/Elektra-level quality movies, and DC can at least make a competent series of flicks, then nobody needs to worry their head about superhero movies being "over".

Just go with the overly said cliche' of "What what you like" haha

We don't play armchair QB, we play armchair GM

What I like isn't worth jack to anyone else.

I'm pretty sure the advice in this thread is limited to the title "If the crash comes..." I would imagine that the advice for now would be to sell what you bought during the crash. (shrug)

Great advice in this thread and I agree that we don't need to worry about superhero films dying out anytime soon. Cheap and realistic special effects are fueling this new wave of superhero movies and shows and it's only going to get better.

I still remember the big market crash thread that was made in 2003 and how people said that it was just a bubble when people were paying 16X guide for slabs, those people who did are sitting pretty now.

+1

Should've just backed the truck up on big keys.

Whatever happened to rzipperer?

+1

Should've just backed the truck up on big keys.

Whatever happened to rzipperer?

He's on ebay, He bought my Tales Of Teen Titans 44 9.6 for 150.00, He took over a week to pay for it. Just before the last day I was due to get my FVF's, he pays for it.

The crash might not be that far off on modern values going forward. Marvel has completely lost their minds taking out 20 sided dice and re-rolling like some drunk GM mix and mashing / killing off characters / smashing and killing the 616 that older readers still like. I know of several friends here in town opting out of this SW travesty about to hit. Will it make a impact who knows but some of them buy 25 plus Marvel books every week. I'm sure they are not in the minority either. At least DC isn't making their convergence last from what I read.

I plan on sticking with small indies myself. It seems the movie revenue has made Marvel drunk with power.

So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

Will people stop going to the movies?

If not, what will they prefer to superhero movies?

Sad dramas?

Dumb-and-dumber-hangovers?

Teen musicals?

Fast-cars-keep-driving-faster?

Westerns?

Pole-dancing-dudes-part-12?

Obviously, Star Wars is expected to do well... once a year... or once every two years.

But what else?

I can see how people may get tired of superhero movies, but I don't see what's next... unless it's empty theaters.

Do you even go to the movies or is the list from your DVD collection??

Everything has it's time, I don't deal with many moderns or even the variants because after 2 months, the book is dead. By the time you get it, have it graded, get it back, no one wants it anymore.

The best comics to hang onto are the ones with no variant, polybagged or special cover. Most comics that sell for a premium doesn't have any of that nonsense. Does Walking Dead 1 have any kind of special cover? Nope. What about BA 12? Nope again.

I will say this though, if a "late 90's crash" was to ever happen again, I'll buy everything in sight, because then it becomes a buyer's market. We're in a seller's market right now and you can thank all these comic book movies for that since thats what pushing all this stuff. So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

I don't see that happening any time soon, This has been going on since the early 2000's and many more films are being made, it's what brings people into the theater.

Define "soon"

Great advice in this thread and I agree that we don't need to worry about superhero films dying out anytime soon. Cheap and realistic special effects are fueling this new wave of superhero movies and shows and it's only going to get better.

And comics only go up. lol

Apparently there is no shortage of optimists here.

Trust me.. when comics slow down dramatically, no one will buy anything.. Thats just how this goes, its one thing to think you can get a TMNT for 100-200 bucks when the biz is booming , but another to say that amidst a recession. A slowdown and market correction could last for years, people may still buy HTF books after a few months or a year, but when the market slows down with no light at the end of the tunnel people will be dumping stock left and right an not regretting a moment doing so..

I hope this wont happen, but it did and probably will again sometime in the future