• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

In the next 5 years. Whether that is soon depends on your point of view. Point of view? Yes.

You should stop letting Linguinii post on your account after ripping his bong all morning.

Only good advice I caught in that was the last sentence

Really? The only good advice was the last sentence...?

hm

Maybe the rest he already knew (shrug)

Already knowing good advice doesn't make it not good advice.

:D

Here's a bit of free advice for those of you who haven't been around the comics world for a few decades.

If the crash comes....maybe it won't, but maybe it will....something to keep in mind is the concept of "once hot, now not."

A book that, at one point in its life, was HOT HOT HOT!!!!!, but that cooled down later, and floated back down to average, has a much better chance of becoming HOT HOT HOT!!!! in the market again at some later point, should the market recover.

So what should I be picking up now, or are we just armchair quarterbacking?

What was hot 5-10 years ago, and now is not?

That is your answer.

Here's really the best advice I could give anyone into collectibles: I have found the secret of being content no matter the situation.

The market is up, up, up? Great! Sell what I have, or trade what I have, for stuff that I don't.

The market is down the tubes? Great! Now I can afford to buy what I couldn't afford before.

Either way, no matter what happens, it's a win for me.

:cloud9:

So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

Will people stop going to the movies?

If not, what will they prefer to superhero movies?

Sad dramas?

Dumb-and-dumber-hangovers?

Teen musicals?

Fast-cars-keep-driving-faster?

Westerns?

Pole-dancing-dudes-part-12?

Obviously, Star Wars is expected to do well... once a year... or once every two years.

But what else?

I can see how people may get tired of superhero movies, but I don't see what's next... unless it's empty theaters.

Do you remember the 80s and early 90s when action movies were the top box office draw? While those types of movies still exist, they don't make the same kind of money they use to.

Just because we cannot imagine a replacement for the current superhero fad doesn't mean there won't be one. I suspect we still have a few more years left before the public grows wary of superheroes though.

So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

Sad dramas?

Teen musicals?

Westerns?

Obviously, Star Wars is expected to do well... once a year... or once every two years.

But what else?

I can see how people may get tired of superhero movies, but I don't see what's next... unless it's empty theaters.

Do you remember the 80s and early 90s when action movies were the top box office draw? While those types of movies still exist, they don't make the same kind of money they use to.

Just because we cannot imagine a replacement for the current superhero fad doesn't mean there won't be one. I suspect we still have a few more years left before the public grows wary of superheroes though.

+1000 Well said!

My main focus of collecting is silver & bronze age keys, and GA pre-code horror. I think I'm crash proof

That sounds like a good plan to me. I love precode horror but don't have any silver age at all. It's sad.

Sooner than later.

Sad dramas?

Teen musicals?

Westerns?

But what else?

Hopefully it's not until after 2019 because I still need to cash out on the Inhumans. :insane:

Sooner than later.

Sad dramas?

Teen musicals?

Westerns?

But what else?

While I agree, there wasn't the same collectible market aimed at those types of movies. What would people collect in regards to Die Hard, Terminator, etc? There are comic books yes, but I don't think it's the same. Values fluctuate, sure, but in the long run having key issues should be a fairly stable investment. Super heroes, comic collecting, movies, etc aren't going away. Marvel's going nuts and DC is just getting started. If DC picks its game up it's only going to extend that timeline.

except that your 2-15 year olds of today are now addicted to these super heroes. my son now knows more about this krap than i do (at least the current state of the avengers). whether that translates into wanting to collect comics when they have cash is another story entirely.

In the next 5 years. Whether that is soon depends on your point of view. Point of view? Yes.

You should stop letting Linguinii post on your account after ripping his bong all morning.

I guess we'll see in 5 years, peckernut. ;)

This is an interesting consideration, but I guess a lot depends on the reasons for which a book becomes "hot" at a certain time. hm

(thumbs u

Some books have long term drivers.

Skullkickers 1, not so much.

I guess we'll see in 5 years, peckernut. ;)

ku4yw.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

My new favourite post! lol