• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Age of Ultron getting Bad Reviews

64 posts in this topic

The reviewer also says that the first Avengers movie wasn't very good. So maybe his opinion shouldn't really be trusted.

It shouldn't, at all. I tuned out after reading the very first sentence which has no truth to it whatsoever as a general observation about all Marvel movies. :screwy:

The latest mega-picture from the Mighty Marvel Marketing team, Avengers: Age of Ultron is a great example of everything that’s wrong with the Marvel way of making movies: There’s too many characters, not enough explanation, lead-footed globe-trotting and ‘action sequences’ so briskly, brusquely cut and covered that there’s a very real constant question of who’s doing what to whom in any given moment.

Rotten Tomatoes (which is the site that typically aligns with what I like) is at 73%. I think this movie is going to be great.

And even if it's not, even if it's just average, it's still a million miles ahead of where we were when I was a child. All we had were poorly crafted cartoons, aborted or short lived live action TV series and simple rumors of slim chances of films being made.

We live in the Golden Age of our childhood idols being brought to life. Even if they aren't great, even if they aren't perfect, it doesn't matter. It's amazing to me the grand spectrum of entertainment being created right now of characters that form the basis of my earliest childhood enjoyment.

I, for one, am going to enjoy every minute of this because, for as flawed as some of the attempts are, we are going to miss all of it sorely when it is over.

Age of Ultron is sitting at 73% positive on Rotten Tomatoes right now. It has basically the same average as Interstellar(72%), American Sniper(73%), Kingsman(74%), and Pacific Rim(72%).

And it's at 67% on Metacritic. Those are pretty strong numbers. I don't think many here will be disappointed with the movie.

Yep, pretty strong.

Having said that, the general sentiment about a film often changes after the first week. "Superman Returns" has 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, yet everyone seems to talk about that film in retrospect like it was a huge stinker that nobody liked. Which I never, ever understand given the critical acclaim it go upon initial release. ???

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

Rotten Tomatoes (which is the site that typically aligns with what I like) is at 73%. I think this movie is going to be great.

And even if it's not, even if it's just average, it's still a million miles ahead of where we were when I was a child. All we had were poorly crafted cartoons, aborted or short lived live action TV series and simple rumors of slim chances of films being made.

We live in the Golden Age of our childhood idols being brought to life. Even if they aren't great, even if they aren't perfect, it doesn't matter. It's amazing to me the grand spectrum of entertainment being created right now of characters that form the basis of my earliest childhood enjoyment.

I, for one, am going to enjoy every minute of this because, for as flawed as some of the attempts are, we are going to miss all of it sorely when it is over.

It's particularly great given the quality of most stories in the comics themselves we had as kids. Modern comic stories are far better written, and the modern movies blow most of the comic stories prior to 2000 away, big time.

Almost every movie gets some bad reviews. So what.

That's true:

There's always one....

kvl5e.jpg

The reviewer also says that the first Avengers movie wasn't very good. So maybe his opinion shouldn't really be trusted.

It shouldn't, at all. I tuned out after reading the very first sentence which has no truth to it whatsoever as a general observation about all Marvel movies. :screwy:

The latest mega-picture from the Mighty Marvel Marketing team, Avengers: Age of Ultron is a great example of everything thats wrong with the Marvel way of making movies: Theres too many characters, not enough explanation, lead-footed globe-trotting and action sequences so briskly, brusquely cut and covered that theres a very real constant question of whos doing what to whom in any given moment.

So essentially it's mad that the movie didn't hold your hand enough & talk down to you. Alright then.

A number of us saw this last week and gingerly discussed the movie in the other thread. In short it was a fun movie but suffers from some pacing issues due to how it was edited down.

When you guys see it just remember that "you didn't see that coming".

I realize that reviews are subjective but in order to better enjoy the movie, I think it's better to walking into the theater without the high expectations that first movie helped to set.

No spoilers in this review but it's not pretty:

http://movies.about.com/od/newmoviesandreviews/fl/Review-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron.htm?utm_source=zergnet&utm_medium=tcg&utm_campaign=zergnet-test-509670

Your subject head is misleading. It's getting a 2/3 majority of good reviews, with a minority of bad reviews. Here is the Rotten Tomatoes "Top Critics" summary for the new Avengers movie.

154915.jpg.1205de10d864b31eeade1845901ff342.jpg

Whenever Marvel makes a movie that doesn't conform to the standards of traditional cinema, critics get confused & give it mediocre reviews.

Formulaic Marvel doesn't conform to traditional cinema? That's funny! :roflmao:

If anything Marvel follows the formula too much.

Whenever Marvel makes a movie that doesn't conform to the standards of traditional cinema, critics get confused & give it mediocre reviews.

I think they mean as the films are woven together with a minimum of explanation given as to who is who and what's come before.

Most films go the "dumbest common denominator™" approach and over explain with as few syllables as possible. Marvel's skipped a lot of that, assuming correctly, that their audience has been along for the ride and paying attention.

I think you misunderstood my statement. I mean completely self-contained, telling a story that has a beginning/middle/end and is wrapped up in a nice little bow at the end. That's traditional cinema. Whenever Marvel deviates and extends beyond that single solitary movie or there are loose ends for other movies to grab onto is when the reviews get more skewed.

I'm not saying Marvel doesn't have its own formula. They most certainly do. They bite from the clichés of multiple genres & stuff a superhero in them. But it's not traditional cinema's formula. It's their own that is a variation on traditional cinema. When they start making movies a little more like the comic book counterparts in structure is when the critics get confused.

funny thread title, like the "bad reviews", its there to get clicks.

Ultron is doing great, and has been reviewed great. The movie is exactly what it needs to be, and is subservient to the greater story of the MCU, as it should be.

Can't wait...got my tickets for the regular 2D for tomorrow night and IMAX 3D on Saturday morning. I gotta get the first viewing in with just my wife because when I go see it with a bunch of people I always get the questions in the middle of the movie. "Who's this, what's that...how's this work?" lol So Marvel ALWAYS benefits from this guy paying for the double dip. lol

right, I don't get this ..its receiving many positive reviews and they say its worth seeing, anyone wanting to get extra "clicks" online can give it a bad review... its good for advertising.

here is one by Jane Howitz, right before this review she slams the mall cop sequel as trash, this is a "family" review

By Jane Horwitz April 30 at 11:34 AM

PG-13

Avengers: Age of Ultron

The camaraderie and snappy repartee among the terrific cast of the “Avengers” make this latest Marvel epic consistently entertaining and likely to please teens and also tweens who are into comic-book heroics and fantasy. Director Joss Whedon’s brainy-funny -script even includes tasty literary, theatrical and biblical allusions. The film is way too long, and, as with most special-effects epics, the battle scenes start to look alike. But the evolving relationships among Tony Stark/Iron Man, Bruce Banner/Hulk, Steve Rogers/Captain America, Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Clint Barton/Hawkeye and Thor (a Norse god who needs no “ordinary” name) keep things interesting. The superheroes must juggle teamwork with their go-it-alone instincts and occasional mistrust. In this installment, an artificial intelligence called Ultron, the wayward brainchild of Stark, breaks free, replicates itself into highly destructive robotic warriors and aims to “save” the world, probably by destroying it. Stark has a frightening vision of such a catastrophe. Old villains perish and a new pair, the twins Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver and Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch, joins the fray

THE BOTTOM LINE: The big special-effects battles show massive destruction that must, if you use normal logic, result in many innocent civilian deaths. But the only “ordinary” humans actually shown in danger are rescued by various Avengers. The -script includes rare mild profanity and mild sexual innuendo.

I loved AOU, and that's all that matters to me :grin:

But he's a "Hollywood Movies Expert!"

It says so right there in his byline! :o

right, I don't get this ..its receiving many positive reviews and they say its worth seeing, anyone wanting to get extra "clicks" online can give it a bad review... its good for advertising.

here is one by Jane Howitz, right before this review she slams the mall cop sequel as trash, this is a "family" review

By Jane Horwitz April 30 at 11:34 AM

PG-13

Avengers: Age of Ultron

The camaraderie and snappy repartee among the terrific cast of the “Avengers” make this latest Marvel epic consistently entertaining and likely to please teens and also tweens who are into comic-book heroics and fantasy. Director Joss Whedon’s brainy-funny -script even includes tasty literary, theatrical and biblical allusions. The film is way too long, and, as with most special-effects epics, the battle scenes start to look alike. But the evolving relationships among Tony Stark/Iron Man, Bruce Banner/Hulk, Steve Rogers/Captain America, Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Clint Barton/Hawkeye and Thor (a Norse god who needs no “ordinary” name) keep things interesting. The superheroes must juggle teamwork with their go-it-alone instincts and occasional mistrust. In this installment, an artificial intelligence called Ultron, the wayward brainchild of Stark, breaks free, replicates itself into highly destructive robotic warriors and aims to “save” the world, probably by destroying it. Stark has a frightening vision of such a catastrophe. Old villains perish and a new pair, the twins Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver and Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch, joins the fray

THE BOTTOM LINE: The big special-effects battles show massive destruction that must, if you use normal logic, result in many innocent civilian deaths. But the only “ordinary” humans actually shown in danger are rescued by various Avengers. The -script includes rare mild profanity and mild sexual innuendo.

lol I wouldn't call asking Black Widow if she was busy playing Hide the Zucchini "Mild sexual innuendo"

meh

I avoid reviews. How can someone else influence me on what I will or will not like? There are great movies I don't like and bad movies that I do like. Everyone should take movie reviews with a grain of salt.

Exactly. I hate reading reviews too. Or listening to people give me their reviews. The last time I went to the cinema with a bunch of co-workers was to see Star Trek: Into Darkness, I loved the movie, but then as we left the cinema I had to listen to various co-workers tell me that the film I just watched, and loved, was not very good, and here are their reasons why... :eyeroll: That was the last time I've gone to the cinema with a group of people. Ugh.

So what your saying is no one should give you their opinion if it clashes with yours?

That's the beauty of opinions! If we all liked the same stuff the world would be a boring place.

Oh they can give me their opinion all they want, and they did, trust me. What I'm saying is I just choose not to listen to it, or engage with it, because if I liked something, I'm pretty sure I liked it. I don't really have to be told by someone that the movie I just enjoyed, shouldn't have been enjoyed, and here are a list of reasons why.

This.

That's why I could never understand why people took to heart what Siskel and Ebert had to say.

I loved AOU, and that's all that matters to me :grin:

:applause: