• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay cutting free insertions from 100/mo to 40/mo for collectibles

57 posts in this topic

Personally I like the slowdown, but it hasn't hit me yet. Convention season not yet in full swing yet I am guessing. I don't like being rushed to pack up several orders in one night like it has been lately.

The slowdown gives me time to load up my inventory and buy at conventions and such. This year it looks like it will be later then normal.

I miss other sites that you could sell off inventory much easier. Here it is more difficult then it used to be. They buying pool here has changed on this site the last couple of years.

Personally I like the slowdown, but it hasn't hit me yet. Convention season not yet in full swing yet I am guessing. I don't like being rushed to pack up several orders in one night like it has been lately.

The slowdown gives me time to load up my inventory and buy at conventions and such. This year it looks like it will be later then normal.

I miss other sites that you could sell off inventory much easier. Here it is more difficult then it used to be. They buying pool here has changed on this site the last couple of years.

Im envy. I always quit buying when its slow. Ive been doing it for so many years and youd think I'd learn..

Noooooooooope

I just freeze everytime its slow, last year I missed on this incredible private collection which consisted of many many keys, most were slabbed, including IH180-182, ASM 700 Ditko, 300 X3, almost entire WD run (excluding #1), slabbed keys 9.4-9.8s SIGNED BY ALMOST THE ENTIRE CAST.. and many other smaller keys (TT2 & 44, Supes 75 platinum...)

He offered 1500.00 and I passed

I was so weak after that going home.. The next day I called it was already sold

As I mentioned, I'm not selling comics which I consider to have more clearly defined values than the books and paper items that I'm offering.

Do you mean you're not selling keys or just not selling trending books? Just curious, care to give examples?

To clarify, I'm not listing any comics on eBay, only a few comic-related items. The vast majority of my listings are antiquarian books, paper ephemera, records, etc. Seeing some real weakness on eBay over the past few months, unlike anything I've seen in the past few years during non-holiday periods, even though I'm listing what I think it the best material I've listed yet.

Im envy. I always quit buying when its slow. Ive been doing it for so many years and youd think I'd learn..

Noooooooooope

I just freeze everytime its slow, last year I missed on this incredible private collection which consisted of many many keys, most were slabbed, including IH180-182, ASM 700 Ditko, 300 X3, almost entire WD run (excluding #1), slabbed keys 9.4-9.8s SIGNED BY ALMOST THE ENTIRE CAST.. and many other smaller keys (TT2 & 44, Supes 75 platinum...)

He offered 1500.00 and I passed

I was so weak after that going home.. The next day I called it was already sold

Ive been there and for that reason I have stoppped.

I dont chase collections anymore. Or I am very choosy about what I even look at. Its a grind that I just plain stopped a few years ago. Yes, you miss that great collection once a year, but overall just like an LCS will tell you its alot of drek.

It comes down to how much is your time worth to you eventually. I prefer one big show with alot of books I can choose from now instead.

:sumo:

I'm in that middle-zone of posting more than 40 items per mo (including unsold relistings) but not so many as to make me want to shell out $16-$20/mo for a "store".

Arrgh! :tonofbricks:

Same here.

I'm sure the eBay accountants have crunched the numbers a dozen times over, but I know that my eBay invoices have dropped drastically since they started changing things around recently.

I'm just a small fish, trying to eBay off his 30 year collection one book at a time, to free up funds to allow me to reinvest back into older Superman books. I can live with the 40 free listings vs. 100, but what really hurt me was that they stopped letting you relist books for free when they do their semi-regular free listing events. And it's not like I was drowning the website with outrageously priced lots, but you never know when that buyer for a non-key book you longer care about wants it. At thirty cents a listing now, I'll never find out.

You can get around that by simply copying the information from an old listing into a new listing.

Yes, it's a major pain in the rear. Yes, it utterly defeats the purpose.

But, it's a workaround.

Lets give ebay its due. It has provided a lot of liquidity to a previously mostly illiquid comic book market. Comics are very susceptible to swings in stock markets, commodity prices and bond markets. As such since the US dollar is considerably stronger than it was a year ago (although it has been sliding in recent weeks) international buyers, especially Canadian, can't compete as they once did. I track thye market pretty closely and prices on Ebay (and elsewhere) are certainly down. Good time to snap up some pre-Batman detectives!

Just got an offer for 2,000 free buy it now listings over the next five days, relists excluded.

Theres a work around it by checking "sell similar" instead of clicking relist. But if you do that, dont forget to delete the unsold listings so you dont relist twice in the future.

BTW, breaking news, business started to pick up again for me in the past few days. Hope it stays for awhile

IMG_1571.jpg

Just got an offer for 2,000 free buy it now listings over the next five days, relists excluded.

And today's lesson, kids, is to pay close attention to what an offer says.

I got this same offer, thought, "Great, I'll go ahead and relist - via 'sell similar' - some items that haven't sold." Went through listing items, everything went great for a while, then I got a "this listing does not qualify for free listing, insertion fee of 30 cents for this listing."

I figured I had made a mistake with something, went back to edit, and everything looked great. Checked again - and found that you had to ACCEPT this offer for the 2,000 free listings. I had just used up my 20 free listings for the month. :(

Called eBay, but they weren't able to move the 20 over to the new offer (which I had by then accepted, and listed the remaining items), so I'm out my piddly few freebies for the month.

Just got another offer for 2,000 free fixed price listings over the next 5 days using the Good Til Cancelled option (renews automatically every 30 days until sold or cancelled). Usual fees will apply to the renewals.

Just got another offer for 2,000 free fixed price listings over the next 5 days using the Good Til Cancelled option (renews automatically every 30 days until sold or cancelled). Usual fees will apply to the renewals.

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2015/0526/ListFree.html

My offer doesn't say anything about having to use Good 'Til Canceled. You can but, don't have to. (shrug)

Also got an offer for an annual store subscription. Get the first four months for $5.95 then the rest of the year at the regular $15.95. Not really worth it if I'm getting 2000 free BINs though.

I got the same offer too. Offer expires Sunday the 31st.

It's going to be a busy weekend for me. :cool: