• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay cutting free insertions from 100/mo to 40/mo for collectibles

57 posts in this topic

Although it appears that if an auction items sells, you won't pay an insertion fee for that listing. So I guess this is an attempt to make sure things are listed for prices that result in a sale?

This comment is, by no means, directed at the OP, but, my opinion is that this is a very good thing. Ebay is cluttered with overpriced listing with unrealistic prices. If there is no fee to list, there is no incentive to place realistic selling prices on BINs or Auctions. Many sellers who are listing for free put outrageous opening prices in hopes of an uniformed buyer stumbling on their item. My hope is that this change results in a reduction in these types of listings.

:sumo:

I'm in that middle-zone of posting more than 40 items per mo (including unsold relistings) but not so many as to make me want to shell out $16-$20/mo for a "store".

Arrgh! :tonofbricks:

Same here.

I'm sure the eBay accountants have crunched the numbers a dozen times over, but I know that my eBay invoices have dropped drastically since they started changing things around recently.

I'm just a small fish, trying to eBay off his 30 year collection one book at a time, to free up funds to allow me to reinvest back into older Superman books. I can live with the 40 free listings vs. 100, but what really hurt me was that they stopped letting you relist books for free when they do their semi-regular free listing events. And it's not like I was drowning the website with outrageously priced lots, but you never know when that buyer for a non-key book you longer care about wants it. At thirty cents a listing now, I'll never find out.

Yes you can relist your books for free during free listing days by using "Sell Similar" instead of a straight relist.

Thanks for the tip!

It's not quite as easy as resisting bulk lots, but I can definitely start doing that.

This comment is, by no means, directed at the OP, but, my opinion is that this is a very good thing. Ebay is cluttered with overpriced listing with unrealistic prices. If there is no fee to list, there is no incentive to place realistic selling prices on BINs or Auctions. Many sellers who are listing for free put outrageous opening prices in hopes of an uniformed buyer stumbling on their item. My hope is that this change results in a reduction in these types of listings.

And many sellers are not doing that at all. I'd like to see a studied percentage of how many are doing what you say versus how many are doing what I say.

I am one of those that this is going to "hurt." I don't overprice my stuff, and this new rule is going to cost me money. Trust me, eBay gets enough of my dollar when I do sell something, I don't really want to pay them any more.

If people are overpricing their items so badly, no one will buy them. If they relist for free, people will still not buy them. How does that hurt you? Sounds like you are just annoyed at these overpriced listings and don't want to see them. If that's the case, then call the wah-mbulance.

-slym

And many sellers are not doing that at all. I'd like to see a studied percentage of how many are doing what you say versus how many are doing what I say.

I am one of those that this is going to "hurt." I don't overprice my stuff, and this new rule is going to cost me money. Trust me, eBay gets enough of my dollar when I do sell something, I don't really want to pay them any more.

If people are overpricing their items so badly, no one will buy them. If they relist for free, people will still not buy them. How does that hurt you? Sounds like you are just annoyed at these overpriced listings and don't want to see them. If that's the case, then call the wah-mbulance.

-slym

In the long run it's going to hurt me too, though I refuse to list items unless I have free insertion fees, so it's just going to take a lot longer and a lot more work to move the stuff I need to sell.

I doubt that all those sellers who were taking advantage of the 100 free insertion fee listing are suddenly going to get the 99 cent starting bid religion. They're probably more likely to list less or not at all.

That might eliminate a few over-priced listings, but I suspect it's going to eliminate more reasonably priced auction listing, thus reducing the number and selection of available material.

But hey, eBay only needs buyers right?

I like the changes but that's because I have a store. They give me 100 free auctions a month that I can use for the books that did not sell over the previous month.

In the long run it's going to hurt me too, though I refuse to list items unless I have free insertion fees, so it's just going to take a lot longer and a lot more work to move the stuff I need to sell.

I doubt that all those sellers who were taking advantage of the 100 free insertion fee listing are suddenly going to get the 99 cent starting bid religion. They're probably more likely to list less or not at all.

That might eliminate a few over-priced listings, but I suspect it's going to eliminate more reasonably priced auction listing, thus reducing the number and selection of available material.

But hey, eBay only needs buyers right?

:applause:

-slym

You do realize we're talking about a net loss to your bottom line of $15 per month, right? Buy one less coffee a week and you're back to zero.

I swear, sometimes people will person_without_enough_empathy about eBay about anything.

You do realize we're talking about a net loss to your bottom line of $15 per month, right? Buy one less coffee a week and you're back to zero.

I swear, sometimes people will person_without_enough_empathy about eBay about anything.

Not everyone who sells on eBay does so as a business. As such, they're sales per month are pretty modest. So yes, $15 a month does hurt.

I don't buy coffee but thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe I could just buy a few less comics each month. hm

Going to reopen your store, or just keep doing 10 at a time ?

lol Im with you on that. As long as eBay is the king (or queen, if you judge by the attitude) of comic books - suck it up and pay to play. BUT... I honestly make ALMOST as much on Amazon now as I do on eBay.. WHY? Its easier, quicker and it doesnt cost me to list.. So I list twice as much on amazon and sell almost as much as on eBay

I am willing to bet dollars to donuts (no pun intended) that IF eBay was to lose its crown the transition to sell and buy on Amazon will be a smooth and quick one.

Not everyone who sells on eBay does so as a business. As such, they're sales per month are pretty modest. So yes, $15 a month does hurt.

I don't buy coffee but thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe I could just buy a few less comics each month. hm

I don't buy coffee either. I don't even drink it. It's mostly water from the filter in the fridge for me.

I also don't buy comics to collect anymore. Matter of fact, I don't buy much of anything for myself.

I guess I should buy less food.

(thumbs u

-slym

Going to reopen your store, or just keep doing 10 at a time ?

10 at a time. I ran the numbers and 10 at a time is much more cost effective for me.

lol Im with you on that. As long as eBay is the king (or queen, if you judge by the attitude) of comic books - suck it up and pay to play. BUT... I honestly make ALMOST as much on Amazon now as I do on eBay.. WHY? Its easier, quicker and it doesnt cost me to list.. So I list twice as much on amazon and sell almost as much as on eBay

I am willing to bet dollars to donuts (no pun intended) that IF eBay was to lose its crown the transition to sell and buy on Amazon will be a smooth and quick one.

Amazon has a long way to go before I think about switching there.

As a good seller on Amazon I would imagine you can do well with comics because they are sooooo many bad ones.