• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing on bags. Good or bad?

42 posts in this topic

So assuming youre not gonna slab a book, wouldnt you think its better to get a creator's signature on the comic bag as opposed to on the book iteslf, just in case you'd consider slabbing it in the future.. You can always transfer the bag with the signature to another book with same creator if you have one.. what do you think?

Seems like a waste of time. Why not just get them to sign a picture or print or napkin or something else if you're already gonna stand in line to get them to sign a not-a-comic?

Seems like a waste of time. Why not just get them to sign a picture or print or napkin or something else if you're already gonna stand in line to get them to sign a not-a-comic?

+1 (thumbs u

Well, I just gave a reason as to why I think its good.. Its transferable/removable in case you change your mind later about the book and want it graded without the GLOD factor.

The fact that its not acceptable to have signatures on bags is because up until a decade ago or so we were never conditioned by the grading companies to find the signature to be a blemish on a book.

Here's another scenario:

You see a book that you want to buy, its in pristine NM condition, maybe a 9.8 even. There are only 2 copies available, one with a signature on the book by your favorite creator, one with a signature on the bag.. Both priced at 40.00 each

Which will you get?

Depends…

If this is a book you plan on keeping, then why not have them sign the book and get the GLOD? So what if the CGC didn't verify the signature, you verified it. And now it will be safe in a slab with an authentic signature.

Now, if you plan on selling it sometime down the road, then yes, you may want to plan on settling for a GLOD or sign the bag.

Youd rather have a signature on a napkin than on a bag which would fit a comic book perfectly?

If it's not getting immediately slabbed & yellow-labeled? Yes. I'd prefer a napkin. A bag and a napkin are equally "not a comic". At least then, I don't have to worry about the sig smearing on the bag & I wasted my time. Cause even double-bagged with the signed bag inside another bag, it's still a smear risk. I'd prefer getting the book signed & slabbed.

I just deal with it the old fashioned way.

Have them sign the comic and forget grading it.

Am I the only one that knows it's authentic? Yeah. But I tend to keep anything I get signed or I don't spend the time to meet the creator.

Patrick

If we agree that a signature is valuable regardless of what format it was signed on (napkin being an excellent example), while factoring in the damages the same signature may bear on a just as valuable collectible (comic being a great example), (after all when you plan on selling the book you never know if the buyer wouldnt want to have the signature on that valuable collectible), wouldnt the bag which covers the book perfectly make an excellent choice?

I'm sure by now you all know my position on getting Sig series books. With that in mind I only have one SS book, and that's a Neal Adams Batman book from Niks collection. I would cross a mighty river to have a Frazetta signed SS book. Other than that 1 book I have no other SS books,and I have that book mostly because it was Niks,and not so much about Neal Adams. I do have a few unslabbed books signed by my favorite artists John Romita,Bernie Wrightson,and others that mean something to me. I will never sell these because they have a sentimental value.So with all that said,it would be a waste of time getting something like a mylar sleeve signed. If you want a certain artists\writer to sign a book, get one that is not expensive,and have it for your own memories.

So assuming youre not gonna slab a book, wouldnt you think its better to get a creator's signature on the comic bag as opposed to on the book iteslf, just in case you'd consider slabbing it in the future.. You can always transfer the bag with the signature to another book with same creator if you have one.. what do you think?

..that's just ridiculous.

Signatures (scribbles) on comic books, like pressing, is the devil's work! The artist/author is not what will last; the character is. In 100 years, Todd McFarland will be a minor footnote in the history of Spider-Man!

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

Seems utterly pointless doesn't it? (shrug)

Are you serious?

Seems utterly pointless doesn't it? (shrug)

I'd just get my boob signed instead.