• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing on bags. Good or bad?

42 posts in this topic

If the intent is just to get a sig and keep it with the book I would rather get a picture signed that would fit in a bag. You could keep it behind the board so people could see it.

So assuming youre not gonna slab a book, wouldnt you think its better to get a creator's signature on the comic bag as opposed to on the book iteslf, just in case you'd consider slabbing it in the future.. You can always transfer the bag with the signature to another book with same creator if you have one.. what do you think?

Are you serious?

Seems utterly pointless doesn't it? (shrug)

I'd just get my boob signed instead.

Please tell me you're a woman

So assuming youre not gonna slab a book, wouldnt you think its better to get a creator's signature on the comic bag as opposed to on the book iteslf, just in case you'd consider slabbing it in the future.. You can always transfer the bag with the signature to another book with same creator if you have one.. what do you think?

Are you serious?

Seems utterly pointless doesn't it? (shrug)

I'd just get my boob signed instead.

Please tell me you're a woman

Moob then.

Signatures (scribbles) on comic books, like pressing, is the devil's work! The artist/author is not what will last; the character is. In 100 years, Todd McFarland will be a minor footnote in the history of Spider-Man!

Which is why I started this thread.. Guys while I appreciate your criticism, so far I havent heard anything that would back up a reason why its a bad idea.. The fact that it was never done, or sounds ridiculous, while taking a stand, still doesnt explain why?

Again: if the industry suggests that a book is defamed by having scribbles on it, clearly the comment above supports that claim, you would think that collectors who while collecting, and care for the secondary market, will have sigs signed on the bags..

Of course, if you love Mcfarlane/Adams, etc and you want him to sign a book which you will cherish forever, sure bags wouldnt make sense at all. Thats the reason why you want him to sign that book. But lets not kid ourselves, everyone is selling signed books and a good cut of that market would rather have the book WITHOUT the signature.. Wouldt you rather give that buyer that option?

..that's just ridiculous.

Joe Kubert accidentally signed a book in the bag once for me. I kept the signed bag. The signed bag is now bagged and boarded. I am hoping that they will soon slab signed bags.

Signatures (scribbles) on comic books, like pressing, is the devil's work! The artist/author is not what will last; the character is. In 100 years, Todd McFarland will be a minor footnote in the history of Spider-Man!

I vehemently disagree with every aspect of your opinion, especially because no one named Todd McFarland ever worked on Spider-Man, so he will not even be a footnote.

If you are willing to pay your money to have someone sign something, then they can sign whatever you would like them to and who cares what anyone else thinks.

I vehemently disagree with every aspect of your opinion, especially because no one named Todd McFarland ever worked on Spider-Man, so he will not even be a footnote.

I'm a big fan of that Charlie Daniels song, "The Devil Went Down To Sarasota"

lol

While on the subject of Spidey/Mcfarlane..

In SDCC 1990 Mcfarlane was signing the Spidey #1s, he ONLY signed the bagged version, not too sure why.. I stood in line for almost two hours to get my copy..

I was offered $50 twice just during the convention since people missed out on them

IMG_1266.jpg

..that's just ridiculous.

Joe Kubert accidentally signed a book in the bag once for me. I kept the signed bag. The signed bag is now bagged and boarded. I am hoping that they will soon slab signed bags.

I have a Mylar accidentally signed by Stan Lee.

I've never been a "signature" kind of collector.

I mean don't get me wrong sig books are a part of my inventory to sell, but I don't necessarily collect them.

The only books that I have had signed for me are 2 that I had stan lee did

One that was my first comic I can remember buying myself ASM 147, I had him sign

inside on the indica.

The other was a life long quest where I had him sign MY CGC AF 15.

I had him sign it on the back/top on the case.

I figure if I ever break it out I'll just keep the plastic holder.

:cloud9:

Why does there have to be a book in the bag when you get this signature? (shrug)

You could just take a bunch of bags/boards (no books) to a convention, get every signature in the building, and worry about getting the books for them later. :acclaim:

Have you ever considered that a signature is more easily rubbed off a bag or case, even if it's in a bag?

That Mcfarlane signature I attached several posts up was taken 25 years ago.. Its still bright and crisp as the day it was signed

You clearly aren't interested in having the *book* itself signed so why even bother?

Have them sign a print if that's the case. Still artwork and you can frame it, etc.

Just have the creator sign a fullback; that way you can:

1. Put the fullback in a mylar, which will be thin, but looks great

2. Put the fullback with the signature on the back and have your creator's book of choice on the front and put it in a mylar.

3. Have CGC slab the fullback if done with a witness.

I don't like the idea of signing a bag, since it's not archivally safe. We've all seen what happens to poly bags over the years, and mylars are too slick to be signed effectively.

lol

In SDCC 1990 Mcfarlane was signing the Spidey #1s, he ONLY signed the bagged version, not too sure why.. I stood in line for almost two hours to get my copy..

I was offered $50 twice just during the convention since people missed out on them

IMG_1266.jpg

Funny I've got ten of em and probably can't get 2¢ for one.

lol

IMG_1266.jpg

Oakland - throw in free shipping and I'll take all 10 of them off your hands for 2 cents each!

lol

IMG_1266.jpg

So thats 11 signed bags that made 25 years with no smudges (thumbs u