• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Frankenbook

41 posts in this topic

I was browsing around eBay yesterday and found a coverless copy of Strange Tales #110 for sale. This being the first appearance of my fave Dr. Strange, I decided to try bidding $23.00 on the book. Needless to say, I won the poor thing for $21.55:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6510124365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

So what to do with a coverless copy of ST #110? I had 2 hours to kill after work today. I decided to make a new cover for it.

Unlike Iron Man, Thor or Spider-Man, who made their debuts on the covers of Tales of Suspense, Journey Into Mystery and Amazing Fantasy, Doctor Strange was just a back up feature to Strange Tales star The Human Torch when he first appeared. Needless to say, he never made the cover. In fact, Ditko only drew one full Dr. Strange cover for Strange Tales in his entire run on the series (#146... His last issue).

I decided to make a cover collage of Ditko's Dr. Strange work from ST #110's interior panels, added the logo and various cover elements, attached a scan of the actual books back cover and printed it out on glossy inkjet paper. Then I put it through the printer again and printed some black and white pin-up pages on the back. After cropping, it's a perfect fit for a Silver Age book.

When I get the coverless copy, I'm either going to remove the staples and restaple the new cover to the interiors, or just put the new cover on by adding two more staples. Either way, it's going to be a fun little project making this Frankenbook, I'll post pictures when the "procedure" has been completed! Bwa Ha Ha!

hh110setup.jpg

Great job with the "enhanced" cover, Wdb. For a Dr. Strange fan, it sure beats the weak ST110 cover of the Torch fighting, if memory serves correctly, a solo member of the Frightful Four.

Minty fresh, too thumbsup2.gif

ST110 cover of the Torch fighting, if memory serves correctly, a solo member of the Frightful Four.

I don't think so. Paste-Pot-pete was one of the original members of the Frightful Four. He just changed his name to Trapster. Pretty much the same villain. As the Wizard was also a member.

BTW; Thats a cool cover that should of been on that issue. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all the nice words everybody. I haven't felt this much love on the boards since Ian got that free Buzzy #70.

Anyway, if this post gets cold in the next few days, expect it to rise from the dead again when I put up pictures of the actual comic once I get it and attach the new cover.

Maybe this will start a trend. Any other key books out there that are coverless that you think deserve a better cover? I'm not talking about classic covers like Action #1 or Detective #27 or Amazing Fantasy #15 or even Incredible Hulk #181... I mean stuff doesn't give you any indication of the significance of its contents on the cover. Here's a few examples I can think of:

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 (1st Sub Mariner) I doubt you'll ever find a coverless one of these, and I know they have the covers only to #2-7, but what about a Namor cover for #1 instead of the kid and the ladder?

Saga of The Swamp Thing #37 (1st John Constantine). Hey, I know! Put Keanu on that cover! That would make it cool, dude!

Pep Comics #22 (1st Archie, Betty and Jughead). You could make something cool just from those Archie postings right here on these boards.

All Star Comics #8 (1st Wonder Woman). Don't you think Wonder Woman deserved to make the cover for her debut?

A few more off the top of my head:

DC Comics Presents #26 (1st New Teen Titans)

War Against Crime #10 (1st Vault Keeper)

Crime Patrol #15 (1st Crypt Keeper)

Anyway, thanks again folks! Back to the lab for me...

Since we're sharing....

Here's my Franken book.

image_107627.jpg

tongue.gif

You should start a website "Frankenbook.com" to show off this and future Frankenbook creations.

You'd probably get enough site traffic from liberal thinking it was a website about Al Franken to get some paying advertisers. grin.gif

Great Cover you created there! This is the way it should have been done back then IMHO. Since you are asking which covers should be revised, I vote for More Fun #73. The First Green Arrow, Speedy and Aquaman with nary a mention on the cover... just Dr. Fate fighting some generic gun-toting suits. 893applaud-thumb.gif