• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Universal/Consistency with Graders? posted by 109

5 posts in this topic

Is it really Qualified or is it Universal?????

I recently submitted 2 very rare Tomb raider #46 Wizard World Texas Comic Con comics with the great Michael Turner cover art. This comic was limited to only 100 copies, which were all hand numbered from #1 to #100. I believe there are a few AP (Artist Proofs) out there. These comics are very collectible do to the fact they are very rare and have a beautiful piece of art by Michael Turner. Both of these comic received a CGC Qualified 9.8 grade, which at times is very difficult to receive with these type of variants. I was very happy with the comics receiving the 9.8 grade.

A few years ago, I submitted 2 other Tomb Raider #46 Wizard World Texas Comic Con comics to CGC and both received a very nice Universal 9.6 grade. Maybe someone can answer my question regarding the way CGC graders evaluate if its a Universal or Qualified grade. I realize this comic has handwritten numbering, but the way this comic is designed is just for that. Each individual comic has a space for the number to be written and they all come with a handwritten number. So should it be a Universal or Qualified grade? Does CGC have a guideline or policy which states it is a Universal or Qualified or do they leave it up to the individual grader? Let me know what you think or what you know. Thank you, 109

16621.jpg

See more journals by 109

That's a great looking book. Turner was the man. I agree with hammershipdown, they should make it consistent. I'm pretty sure I've seen several examples of where something (or some name) was "written in pencil" and it still got a Universal grade. That's how it should be.

It is my opinion that if the number is written where it is supposed to written and it is in a reasonably neat hand, then it is not a defect -- and is the book is Universal.

Indeed what would the book be if there was no number?