• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The future of CGC 9.6s?

36 posts in this topic

Well everytime I think about buying an already slabbed 9.6 BA non-key for multiples of guide I remember a few things.

1. How many raw BA books I have that are 9.6 candidates, or have graded out that way - and what I've paid for them.

2. The various warehouses of comic dealers I've been to and the enourmous volume of high grade BA non-key, especially from the late BA that they have.

makepoint.gif

Needless to say I haven't purchased an already slabbed 9.6 non-key BA book in a long time.........

I'm wondering if there is any room for growth for 9.6 BAs.... I wonder venture to say that soon we will see (if we haven't already), 9.4 non-keys worth less or equal to the submission fee. As more 9.6s and 9.8s are graded, will this also happen to 9.6s? Basically if I get a bronze age book common book graded, and it comes back 9.2, then I've lost money!

there is no basis, never should have been and never was any reason for these books to sell for big premiums from the NM price just because they're sitting inside a plastic. the rarity is fiction, particularly given some of the ug-lee 9.6s I've seen posted here and elsewhere.

99.9% of the collectors out there did not pay a premium for these non-key BA books before CGC when they were unslabbed. they (MAYBE) paid the OPG NM price. someone who asked for more than the NM price (on a non-key, not "hot this week" book) was considered a bit nutty (well, i considered them nutty). For the life of me I cannot recall a dealer ever trying to justify charging me more than whatever the top price in OPG was for ANY book no matter what the condition. EVER. sure, i wasn't dealing with NM GA books or early silver marvels in NM, those are the books where legit NM or better warranted a premium. NOT for a copy of Amazing Spiderman 186 or X-Men 122 or FF 154 or whatever.

In the future, outside of keys and hot books, I do not envision a premium beyond the slabbing fee X 2 on 9.6. so, if we're talking a $15 book, and the slab costs $15, MAYBE if it's a title people want we're talking a $45-50 book.

these numbers are pulled out of my heiny, but most long-term collectors understand that a NM/MINT mid/late 70s book should not be particularly rare. Personally, it has not occurred to me to send in my perhaps 50-100 or so BA candidates in my collection that I think warrant a 9.6. I probably have another 400 where it's a toss up between 9.2 - 9.4... some may snag a 9.6 if a grader is in a good mood.

Just too many of them?

For the most part, yes. However, Marvels from about 1972 to 1974 seem to be less available than the ones from 1968 to 1971 or 1975 and later, so many of those should maintain value, although many aren't worth slabbing at the 9.4 or below level yet since it costs $24 to do it. Those squarebound 25-cent Marvel issues always seem to go for multiples of Guide.

I think what the leveling off we see on so many books is what we saw in the card industry. We need to be careful what we get graded or else we won't recover the grading fees. We also need to be careful what we buy. I agree with Blob!

Personally, it has not occurred to me to send in my perhaps 50-100 or so BA candidates in my collection that I think warrant a 9.6. I probably have another 400 where it's a toss up between 9.2 - 9.4... some may snag a 9.6 if a grader is in a good mood.

Submit a 9.6 pre-screen.... gossip.gif

As was said, early bronze and mid/late bronze are definetly not in the same class in terms of availability. There are a lot of early bronze "non-keys" that are genuinely tough to find in HG(relative to their age), even with the core titles. FF's in the 101-120 range, certain ASM's from 80-99, Thor's from 180-207 etc......

As was said, early bronze and mid/late bronze are definetly not in the same class in terms of availability. There are a lot of early bronze "non-keys" that are genuinely tough to find in HG(relative to their age), even with the core titles. FF's in the 101-120 range, certain ASM's from 80-99, Thor's from 180-207 etc......

Agreed! And I would add Captain America 135-160, many Spider-mans from 103-148, Avengers 101-118, and FF 121-130. Basically 20 cent Marvels, give or take some issues. Anyone who's collected full runs of these titles knows...

Joe

I would say any book in 71-74 range is hard because people don't want to pay to have those CGC'd.

I wasn't necessarily just talking about graded books. I'm trying to put together a complete set of 15 and 20 cent core Marvels in raw NM, and I'm having a heck of a time finding many issues. Plus, with many of these issues(like the ASM 104 in 9.6 selling for 2K), it's more than worthwhile getting them slabbed.

I would say any book in 71-74 range is hard because people don't want to pay to have those CGC'd.

I'm pretty sure that does play a big part.

Spideys from this time period sure are plentiful in 9.6, and since they're priced higher than most other early Bronze titles, it supports your hypothesis. On the other hand, Spidey had more copies cranked out for it than most other titles, and it also likely never got stuck into the 25-cent boxes to get torn up as often as most other titles did.

I wasn't necessarily just talking about graded books. I'm trying to put together a complete set of 15 and 20 cent core Marvels in raw NM, and I'm having a heck of a time finding many issues.

Such as? Other than some of the obscure 20 cent Westerns and the L'il series, I seen most all 15/20 cent Marvels in raw NM within the last 5 years...

Jim

I wasn't necessarily just talking about graded books. I'm trying to put together a complete set of 15 and 20 cent core Marvels in raw NM, and I'm having a heck of a time finding many issues.

Such as? Other than some of the obscure 20 cent Westerns and the L'il series, I seen most all 15/20 cent Marvels in raw NM within the last 5 years...

Jim

I'm not saying they're not out there, nor am I saying I can't find ANY, but some are relatively(the key word here) tougher to find in very high grades.

If you've got tons of raw NM copies of FF 103 and 120, Avengers 94, 95, 103, ASM 104 etc..... I'll be happy to take them off your hands. Can they be found? Of course. But are they as common as many of the issues that preceded them? I really doubt it. And they're certainly nowhere near as common as mid/late bronze issues from their respective runs, which was my original point.

Of the ones you mentioned, Avengers #94 is the hardest to find in NM in my opinion. And the only reason I have a nice copy of ASM #104 is due to buying some off Bettywalls when he first started offering his ASM runs.

I understand your point but they will turn up in time. I upgraded my whole Bronze collection practically overnight in 2001 when the Tropic Comics storefront was closing and the warehouse copies were put up for sale at 50% off. Multiple copies (most HG) of early 70s Marvels and DCs. Copies I had spent years looking for were suddenly available in depth. Really opened my eyes on the availability of HG Bronze and late-Silver.

And boy do I wish I had bought those HG early horror HOM and HOS for $5 each now... frustrated.gif

Jim

I agree that they could turn up at any time, which is why I collect raw bronze and don't bother with slabs unless it's a very high grade key. I'm just hoping to stumble across a similar opportunity.

"and it also likely never got stuck into the 25-cent boxes to get torn up as often as most other titles did"

early/mid BA spideys were pretty commonly found in 25 cents/50 cent bins in the late 70s and 80s.

ASM 129 could be found in those bins probably into the early 80s. (121, 122, 136, etc. were considered premium back then)

I've got tons that I'd pick up as a kid out of my LCSes 3/$1 bin in the 80s.

Many are actually in nice shape other than the mark the jerk shop owner would put on the back of each comic. 15 cents and 20 cent cover prices probably less common in the bargain bins even then.

"Submit a 9.6 pre-screen.... "

How much is that nowadays, $3-5 a book?

criminey, i only paid $1 each for 99% of these, i feel silly paying that much to have them screened!

It's $3 per reject . Just think....you either have $4 invested in each book rather than $1, or all your books are 9.6s acclaim.gif