• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free month of Marvel Unlimited

22 posts in this topic

If anyone was wanting to try out the Marvel Unlimited subscription service, you can get a free month using the codeword "ultron".

You do have to enter your credit card information and it will automatically bill your card for another month if you don't cancel.

Has it gotten any better?

I had the 1-year-for-$30 promo when it first was unveiled and I almost never used it & let it expire. Beyond the issue I had with not having a stack to stare me in the face every time I got near my comics & demand me to read them, the problem that I had was that almost never had full stories. There were a number of story arcs that I wanted to read & every time I'd find something to start reading, there'd be some random part in the middle missing. It seemed to be a smattering of issue numbers with no rhyme or reason as to why "Part 3 of Storyarc X" is missing.

Has it gotten any better?

I had the 1-year-for-$30 promo when it first was unveiled and I almost never used it & let it expire. Beyond the issue I had with not having a stack to stare me in the face every time I got near my comics & demand me to read them, the problem that I had was that almost never had full stories. There were a number of story arcs that I wanted to read & every time I'd find something to start reading, there'd be some random part in the middle missing. It seemed to be a smattering of issue numbers with no rhyme or reason as to why "Part 3 of Storyarc X" is missing.

It`s awesome on an iPad or similar sized tablet.

I would avoid if you use laptop, cell phone or desktop.

That`s my advice for all digital comics.

Tablets were made for digital comics! :cloud9:

Oh, I know. I used it on my iPad. But I was talking about the content offered. Not the quality. It was great for catching up on a lot of back issues that I wanted to read but not necessarily own. Except for random missing issues in the middle of storylines.

Oh, I know. I used it on my iPad. But I was talking about the content offered. Not the quality. It was great for catching up on a lot of back issues that I wanted to read but not necessarily own. Except for random missing issues in the middle of storylines.

Hands down better!

I`m probably going to join and start 1000 read comics thread.

It would be easy to read 1000 digital Marvel Comics between now and the end of the year with Marvel Unlimited.

Just the access alone to the library is worth it.

I`m thinking about starting to read the Silver Age Marvel Universe from FF 1.

I don`t even need trade paperbacks anymore.

Think of Netflix.

I was good with the content the last time that they had the free month (SDCC, last year if I recall correctly) but the Marvel app is no where near as user friendly as Comixology's app. It was just way too buggy.

And I don't mean in this way:

2f0fb50f668a63f45e3e60a7a46a3d89-the-5-most-embarrassing-moments-in-spider-man-comic-book-history.jpg

Does this give you every marvel comic published?

No not yet, but there are lots of golden age comics if you want to start there.

You can read books probably you never would have thought about reading before.

Again think how awesome Netflix streaming is.

That's Marvel Unlimited.

It's just been 3 years or so since I had a subscription (literally, as soon as it was available, I was a day-1 sign-up for the 1st year) and the content was really random back then. I would get into a storyline & then get 3 issues into a 5-issue arc only to find out that part 4 was missing for no apparent reason.

I might give it another shot this time to see if they've improved that. After about 4 months, I didn't even use it again because it never had the complete arcs available. It was great for the 1-off issues for SA stuff though that didn't have many mutli-issue arcs. But modern/Copper age stuff? Not so much.

Does this give you every marvel comic published?

No. The most notable omissions are the last 3? months comics (they trail by a bit) and much of the Timely GA archive. Lots of other missing stuff as well. But those are the two things I noticed. I agree that a "reading list" would be nice. Like Hulu where it keeps the things you are watching right there for you and let you know when something you are following has new content. I generally use it when someone mentions an arc which isn't familiar to me or when I want to reread something. I rarely use it to follow what's going on in the world of comics now.

It's just been 3 years or so since I had a subscription (literally, as soon as it was available, I was a day-1 sign-up for the 1st year) and the content was really random back then. I would get into a storyline & then get 3 issues into a 5-issue arc only to find out that part 4 was missing for no apparent reason.

I might give it another shot this time to see if they've improved that. After about 4 months, I didn't even use it again because it never had the complete arcs available. It was great for the 1-off issues for SA stuff though that didn't have many mutli-issue arcs. But modern/Copper age stuff? Not so much.

Definitely.

3 years is a long time, especially with digital comics.

A whole new world!

I tried digital comics in 2005 to 2007, and I thought digital comics sucked back then.

Big improvements have come.

The whole key is reading them on a good sized tablet.

If you read them on a tiny phone screen or a clunky desktop you will hate the experience.

It's still not answering my question about the content. I never had a complaint about the quality. It's a great reading experience. When it had the things that I wanted to read. But does it still have noticeable gaps in story arcs or runs for no real reason? That's all I want to really know.

It's still not answering my question about the content. I never had a complaint about the quality. It's a great reading experience. When it had the things that I wanted to read. But does it still have noticeable gaps in story arcs or runs for no real reason? That's all I want to really know.

I just signed up this morning so I haven't had time to browse too much. I plan on doing some reading on my phone at lunch. I did click on the banner for Star Wars and they had the complete run of original Marvel Star Wars series on there. I was pretty excited about that since I was about to start buying a run to read!

Ah okie, thanks for checking.

On the Timely side, they've been added stuff lately, mostly stuff they had made ready for their Masterwork line of HCs. Nothing beyond that is available obviously b/c the cost of bringing them online is not worth it. That's why the cut-off listed above. If it's not in reprint, it's not on Marvel Unlimited for the Timely stuff but they have a good size selection.

As for your other question, in the past three years, they have filled a TON of material so you should have complete story lines. Also, they do have "reading list" per event, creators, characters, etc ... that they curate for you so you don't have hunt and pick books into your library so they do offer that now.

There are few series that aren't completely uploaded for ?? reasons but they date back to the '80's or '90's.

The library is much more extensive compared to your last experience and a couple of weeks back, they added over 500 Star Wars comics that were originally published by Dark Horse to the app!

Definitely.

3 years is a long time, especially with digital comics.

A whole new world!

I tried digital comics in 2005 to 2007, and I thought digital comics sucked back then.

Big improvements have come.

The whole key is reading them on a good sized tablet.

If you read them on a tiny phone screen or a clunky desktop you will hate the experience.

A tablet would be ideal, but I just read a few at lunch time on my iphone and as long as I read holding the phone in landscape position it worked just fine. That's the biggest draw for me, I always have my phone on me so I'd always have all these comics right there in my pocket to read here and there when I had a few extra minutes.

If you tried this service in the past and thought it was lacking content, you may just want to give it another shot. Just from the little bit I've poked around with it I've been impressed with what they have to offer and am already planning on picking up a year subscription at the end of my trial.

You put Marvel Unlimited with Comixology, and you will be set with a whole world of reading!

Again tablets is the way.

It would kind of suck if you get them for a pc desktop. :(

I tried it out last summer using a laptop. It was awful. It was a shame because I was really enjoying the content, of course. I was reading all the Brubaker Cap stuff.