• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most expensive/Key character from Valiant ?

42 posts in this topic

So, is Eternal 4 and Rai 0 low print?

Eternal Warrior #4 is about 100,000

Rai #0 is about 150,000

There were times in the past 20 years that both were basically $1 books, so condition might be an issue... but there will be lots of 9.8 copies graded soon, given the upcoming movie.

Hmm, interesting, so there defiantly not easy, nor hard to find?

Both books are still "out there" in large numbers. They were "favorites" in the early 1990s, often in the Wizard Top Ten, so the collectors who never really left Valiant have been taking them out of $1 bins for two decades. It will not be surprising if a single collector submits a dozen copies of each to CGC, having only a total of $25 or so invested in all those raw books. I predict a dip in the market due to increased supply once that modern submissions are back.

Speculators (or those-out-for-a-quick-buck) might be happy to get $50 for slabbed copies when they only have $1 invested in the raw book... so I wouldn't expect these books (or books like Bloodshot #6 and Archer & Armstrong #8) to retain CGC 9.8 prices near $200 after the flood of slabs. If they thought there we going to get $200 and only get $50 then I expect those same speculators to complain that the Valiant market collapsed. In reality, there will always be sufficient supply for most of these books... it was the number of slabbed copies that was lower just before the flood (which I expect in the next two or three months) that causes the (temporary) spike we are now seeing in the first place.

Other (earlier) Valiant books are less likely to be in stacks in collector's inventory, but there will be a few. Archer & Armstrong #0 is a key issue, first appearance of both characters, and it is known that at least one collector had 200 raw copies that he gathered through the years.

Print runs aside, it's also worth noting that Rai 0 was hyped ahead of time (via ads in American Entertainment, etc.) & hoarded at release, whereas EW # 4 was not, so a higher % of copies of Rai 0 are likely to be in high grade.

All things being equal, every Valiant old-school Valiant collector has at least one copy of Rai 0 -- not necessarily so for EW 4.

I'd actually ignored Rai 0 over the years for just that reason. I've got 3-8 copies each of Rai 1-5, but only 2 copies of Rai 0.

Oh, and my ValiantFans user name is "Rai-fan." :)

So, is Eternal 4 and Rai 0 low print?

Eternal Warrior #4 is about 100,000

Rai #0 is about 150,000

There were times in the past 20 years that both were basically $1 books, so condition might be an issue... but there will be lots of 9.8 copies graded soon, given the upcoming movie.

Hmm, interesting, so there defiantly not easy, nor hard to find?

Both books are still "out there" in large numbers. They were "favorites" in the early 1990s, often in the Wizard Top Ten, so the collectors who never really left Valiant have been taking them out of $1 bins for two decades. It will not be surprising if a single collector submits a dozen copies of each to CGC, having only a total of $25 or so invested in all those raw books. I predict a dip in the market due to increased supply once that modern submissions are back.

Speculators (or those-out-for-a-quick-buck) might be happy to get $50 for slabbed copies when they only have $1 invested in the raw book... so I wouldn't expect these books (or books like Bloodshot #6 and Archer & Armstrong #8) to retain CGC 9.8 prices near $200 after the flood of slabs. If they thought there we going to get $200 and only get $50 then I expect those same speculators to complain that the Valiant market collapsed. In reality, there will always be sufficient supply for most of these books... it was the number of slabbed copies that was lower just before the flood (which I expect in the next two or three months) that causes the (temporary) spike we are now seeing in the first place.

Other (earlier) Valiant books are less likely to be in stacks in collector's inventory, but there will be a few. Archer & Armstrong #0 is a key issue, first appearance of both characters, and it is known that at least one collector had 200 raw copies that he gathered through the years.

I agree with this to a point, however I can tell you from swooping into dollar bins long before the Valiant announcement, a book like A + A 8 isn't all of a sudden going to have hundreds more 9.8 copies. The paper they used was , it was double-sized and I have probably pulled 25 out of dollar bins over time and after going through them, NOT ONE will grade 9.8. Add to that right now CGC is ULTRA TIGHT, it's not going to be the flood that some expect.

On the other hand, Shadowman 8 + 10 and Bloodshot 6 I am probably right around 33% on 9.8 pulls (from dollar bins--so because they are $1-2, I buy them all anyways), as in out of every 3 I pull, 1 will be a 9.8. For some reason these books are in really nice shape out of these bins so there definitely will be more.

As for Rai 0 and EW 4, these were big books when Valiant was big in 1993-94, I am rarely finding these in dollar bins. I truly don't think there are guys with short boxes of these like some have speculated. Look, this stuff takes up room, I'm guilty of getting rid of stuff long before it's worthwhile although I'd love to keep it all, it's just not possible. I think June thru Oct will be a bit of a rough patch for the Valiant keys, because there definitely will be more, but by pre-holiday (and guys buying presents for themselves), it will be back to good money for the good keys. These are just not going to be as common as many think, the paper they used, and how CGC is really tightened up (too much IMO), will assure us of that.

Jay

200 copies, wow....but are they all high grade?

Nope... I don't know the grades, but the collector had it as his favorite book so he would have bought them regardless of condition (unless the price was unreasonable).

Add to that right now CGC is ULTRA TIGHT, . . . .

. . . . and how CGC is really tightened up (too much IMO), will assure us of that.

Jay

hm Recent poor submission results? :baiting:

Best comic key for pre-unity Valiant? Harbinger #0 pink variant. During unity? Unity #0 red variant. After unity? Chaos Alpha Effect red variant.

Just my opinion.

I don't see anything "key" about either of those books. Just lower print runs.

Considering where Valiant is heading with films, the big books will be Harbinger 1, Eternal Warrior 4, and Solar 3.

Best comic key for pre-unity Valiant? Harbinger #0 pink variant. During unity? Unity #0 red variant. After unity? Chaos Alpha Effect red variant.

Just my opinion.

Considering where Valiant is heading with films, the big books will be Harbinger 1, Eternal Warrior 4, and Solar 3.

I would add Rai #0 and Harbinger Wars #1.

Add to that right now CGC is ULTRA TIGHT, . . . .

. . . . and how CGC is really tightened up (too much IMO), will assure us of that.

Jay

hm Recent poor submission results? :baiting:

Absolutely. But I think anyone who regularly submits would have the same story.

Jay

On the contrary, I've found CGC to be loose on 9.8's recently, some I've received would barely qualify for a 9.6 IMO.

I too think CGC is extremely tight with their grading. Ask some of our fellow dealers that submit large quantities and our fellow pressing folks. If you want a CPR it is out of the question right now. I think CGC is extremely tight on their grading right now. I would test most books right now that are 9.6 could have been a 9.8 a few years ago. You have to be very selective in what you send them unless you do pre-screen.

Just my opinion.

(thumbs u

those were the last two keys I really needed and thanks to a fellow boardie I was able to finally get them :cloud9:

Print runs aside, it's also worth noting that Rai 0 was hyped ahead of time (via ads in American Entertainment, etc.) & hoarded at release, whereas EW # 4 was not, so a higher % of copies of Rai 0 are likely to be in high grade.

All things being equal, every Valiant old-school Valiant collector has at least one copy of Rai 0 -- not necessarily so for EW 4.

I'd actually ignored Rai 0 over the years for just that reason. I've got 3-8 copies each of Rai 1-5, but only 2 copies of Rai 0.

Oh, and my ValiantFans user name is "Rai-fan." :)

this could be used for countless key books since the mid 70's. 150K print run is nothing compared to some other key books. Look at New Mutants 98. Not rare by any means but very collectible and a key. Rare doesn't always equate to valuable and vis versus. Rai #0 will always be one of the most significant Valiant keys and most important book to the universe.

If you want a CPR it is out of the question right now.

I had a 9.6 CPR'd into a 9.8 just last month, and it still barely looks like a 9.6 IMO. It has three noticeable spine ticks even after being pressed.

On the contrary, I've found CGC to be loose on 9.8's recently, some I've received would barely qualify for a 9.6 IMO.

I too think CGC is extremely tight with their grading. Ask some of our fellow dealers that submit large quantities and our fellow pressing folks. If you want a CPR it is out of the question right now. I think CGC is extremely tight on their grading right now. I would test most books right now that are 9.6 could have been a 9.8 a few years ago. You have to be very selective in what you send them unless you do pre-screen.

Perhaps they're just getting it right? :grin:

Just my opinion.

Was not talking about movie tie-ins comics oddly (I know that's where we immediately go these days) . But yeah.. I do like me a good Harbinger 1.

Harbinger #0 pink (or 1st print) is Harada Harbinger origin story so its a key...

It's also the beginning of the Harbinger story, even if it wasn't published first. It follows the smae storytelling style as the Harbinger series (i.e. it's not told as a flashback).

Also, Harbinger #0 Pink is not a "variant." It's the first printing of the book. The blue/white cover included with the trade paperback is the second printing. They're not marked that way (there's no indicia in the book), but they were not released at the same time.

Harbinger 1 will always be the big book from this universe, it just has so much going for it. And throw in very low print run on the flagship book with amazing cover, introducing the most important characters of the universe and it becomes a no contest. The problem is the book was never really cheap, it was under-priced and affordable, but not a 'throw-away' like so many other Valiants.