• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice League Magic Mike cover

92 posts in this topic

If I had to venture a guess, it's not because it shows "shirtless dudes", but because the heroes are portraying strippers.

It's one thing for many of the female heroes costumes to make them look like strippers, it's another if they were to do the poster for Showgirls or Striptease.

Yeah, that would be crazy... Like having a bunch of sexy "bombshell" variants of super-heroines in provocative poses. They would never do something like that...

Exactly. Nobody had a problem with that, right?

:sick:

I just saw the cover at Midtown Comics n NY. DC and Jim Lee (as co-publisher) are pulling out every lame gimmick from the 1990's.

I can't see this helping their credibility. All the more reason to stop reading modern era comics.

At least post the cover you're complaining about. :screwy:

tumblr_nghmizyKFy1qalb61o1_r1_1280.png

The blonde on the right is mine!

lol

If there's no top-dong showing, I'm not interested.

I just saw the cover at Midtown Comics n NY. DC and Jim Lee (as co-publisher) are pulling out every lame gimmick from the 1990's.

I can't see this helping their credibility. All the more reason to stop reading modern era comics.

lol

What the hell is...

...no, wait. I don't want to know.

:eek:

Female and gay fans may disagree with you. Why single this cover out? Plenty of covers with boobs galore on them too. (tsk)

I'm not gay or female and I blught give copies. I actually think is awesome.

l5uq6.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

I don't understand that reference

You don't need to understand, you've won. this thread can rest in peace now lol

The Purple Rain homage isn't bad.

Movie02.jpg

Purify yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka

lol

That's not what I heard. (tsk)

Female and gay fans may disagree with you. Why single this cover out? Plenty of covers with boobs galore on them too. (tsk)

I'm not gay or female and I blught give copies. I actually think is awesome.

l5uq6.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

I don't understand that reference

so not what I heard. :(

lol

That's not what I heard. (tsk)

:sorry:

If DC came out with a Hooters variant cover, I would have the same reaction. Comics ideally should be kid friendly. Isn't that the purpose of FCBD, bring in a new generation of readers?

I'm sure Warner Bros. own the rights to the Magic Mike movie so it's a cross marketing gimmick. I'm not sure what the movie rating is but I'm sure most parents wouldn't bring their kids to see the movie. As such, I'm sure WB could have come up with a better cross over.

In the 1990's Marvel and DC published multiple "swimsuit" editions. It was lame then and while not identical, IMHO lame as a concept now.

For the record, I'm not a fan of comics with the big boobed heroine where she would have difficulty standing upright.

If you want people to buy your comics, give us decent writing and decent artwork. You do not need gimmicks.

Cheers!

N.

I'm not sure there's too many people who will draw a logical connection of outrage with a cover with 5 superheroes (admittedly portrayed as male exotic dancers) having fun, which is also a swipe of a popular movie poster AND a cover with the cover of a psychopath mass murder holding a knife on a captive young woman (admittedly a superhero) with possible sexually violent undertones?

If you're saying there's a sexism double standard...congratulations on your original thought, there's a million better examples that could and probably should be brought up. If you're saying gimmicks in general are stupid, why didn't you start a thread decrying the Lego cover swipe covers? If you're saying gimmicks that relate to perceived sex-appeal are stupid, congratulations again on your original thought, also why did you single out this particular comic when there are any number of comics that use sex-appeal to sell and have since the beginning of comics (or media).

Of course you're free to think what you want for any reason you want, and even to start a thread here, no matter how embarrassing the premise. But when the premise is so thin, some people are going question your motivations.

P.S. I agree this cover sucks. The only one I really wanted from this set was the Beetlejuice but no one had it. I actually think they should have done variant poster swipes by era (60's, 70's, etc), so they could do it again next year too. But I wouldn't start a thread about it. It would be like starting a thread about why mangos from Mexico aren't as sweet as Filipino mangoes, but with 97% less homophobic undertones.

This guy didn't start the thread. 2c

If DC came out with a Hooters variant cover, I would have the same reaction. Comics ideally should be kid friendly. Isn't that the purpose of FCBD, bring in a new generation of readers?

I'm sure Warner Bros. own the rights to the Magic Mike movie so it's a cross marketing gimmick. I'm not sure what the movie rating is but I'm sure most parents wouldn't bring their kids to see the movie. As such, I'm sure WB could have come up with a better cross over.

In the 1990's Marvel and DC published multiple "swimsuit" editions. It was lame then and while not identical, IMHO lame as a concept now.

For the record, I'm not a fan of comics with the big boobed heroine where she would have difficulty standing upright.

If you want people to buy your comics, give us decent writing and decent artwork. You do not need gimmicks.

Cheers!

N.

I'm not sure there's too many people who will draw a logical connection of outrage with a cover with 5 superheroes (admittedly portrayed as male exotic dancers) having fun, which is also a swipe of a popular movie poster AND a cover with the cover of a psychopath mass murder holding a knife on a captive young woman (admittedly a superhero) with possible sexually violent undertones?

If you're saying there's a sexism double standard...congratulations on your original thought, there's a million better examples that could and probably should be brought up. If you're saying gimmicks in general are stupid, why didn't you start a thread decrying the Lego cover swipe covers? If you're saying gimmicks that relate to perceived sex-appeal are stupid, congratulations again on your original thought, also why did you single out this particular comic when there are any number of comics that use sex-appeal to sell and have since the beginning of comics (or media).

Of course you're free to think what you want for any reason you want, and even to start a thread here, no matter how embarrassing the premise. But when the premise is so thin, some people are going question your motivations.

P.S. I agree this cover sucks. The only one I really wanted from this set was the Beetlejuice but no one had it. I actually think they should have done variant poster swipes by era (60's, 70's, etc), so they could do it again next year too. But I wouldn't start a thread about it. It would be like starting a thread about why mangos from Mexico aren't as sweet as Filipino mangoes, but with 97% less homophobic undertones.

This guy didn't start the thread. 2c

Oh my God, yes he did. :facepalm:

What aspect of shirtless dudes is not kid friendly or offensive?

Boxers and MMA fighters are shirtless.

All the dudes on boats and at swimming pools in the summer are shirtless.

Namor, Ka-Zar, Tarzan, the Thing and Absorbing Man are shirtless every time they appear.

There have been a lot of stupid tempests in a lot of stupid teapots, but this is possibly the stupidest.

Grow up, .

l5l9l.jpg

lol

If I had to venture a guess, it's not because it shows "shirtless dudes", but because the heroes are portraying strippers.

It's one thing for many of the female heroes costumes to make them look like strippers, it's another if they were to do the poster for Showgirls or Striptease.

(thumbs u

This was really my issue, not someone being shirtless.

I respect anyone who wants to call me out if they thought I meant something else. I'll work on my communication skills in the future.

Cheers!

N.

I am fine with movie poster homage covers; there are some neat ones to steal from. My only problem with the Justice League one is that the art isn't very good, I'm not exactly sure what Bat McConaughey is doing (he might have to poop).

I don't find the cover offensive. I get the humor aspect of it. But I think it's just o.k. I see it more of a missed opportunity.

They could have done a swipe of the Wild Bunch. That would've been cool.