• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the heck has happened to the grading the sales section???

13 posts in this topic

Is it just me that's noticing this trend???

Not to poop on people's threads but there have been some very loose grading here lately.

I haven't sold here in awhile, but when I did I gave gift grades where I under graded a little to keep people happy...

Now I look and just shake my head. It's sad because in a lot of cases if the book was graded accurately the price would still be a decent deal.

I must be getting old...

GET OFF MY LAWN!

:insane:

Not to poop on people's threads but there have been some very loose grading here lately.

I haven't sold here in awhile, but when I did I gave gift grades where I under graded a little to keep people happy...

Now I look and just shake my head. It's sad because in a lot of cases if the book was graded accurately the price would still be a decent deal.

I must be getting old...

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Do you see this more with the newer members or do you think it's this way across the board? I ask because a lot of people seem to have an issue with sellers not posting a grade even if they have pictures and descriptions. Perhaps newer members aren't as experienced in grading but are pushed to post a number and therefore a less accurate grade?

Maybe it's the stuff I'm looking at ( mostly GA and 50s books), but I haven't noticed a change. There have always been some overgraded books on the boards, even from people who should know better. At the right price they still sell, but I haven't seen the boards get to the worst ebay levels of misrepresentation.

Overall I find that most sellers are fair with their grades, and several who routinely undergrade IMHO.

I have noticed this as well. It seems to be primarily low post new members or members who mostly sell and do not contribute to other areas of the forum. I always disregard stated grade on raw books unless it is a seller I trust. There are host of reputable guys if you stick to them you will be fine.

Do you see this more with the newer members or do you think it's this way across the board?

I see it with some new members, more shocking I see it with older more experienced sellers too.

The selling boards here used to have a standard.

There are some with sellers that sell a few books here and there, but I have really seen it on sellers that have multiple sell threads.

it would just totally suck if eBay NM became the norm here.

I have noticed this as well. It seems to be primarily low post new members or members who mostly sell and do not contribute to other areas of the forum. I always disregard stated grade on raw books unless it is a seller I trust. There are host of reputable guys if you stick to them you will be fine.

:sorry:

-slym

:sorry:

-slym

Heck, I don't even take CGC grades at face value without a closer look at the scan. Usually they are solid or even tight, but there are enough "gift" grades out there that I need to see what I'm buying. There are a couple sellers that I'd rather buy raw than slabbed from lol

I've stopped buying from a few sellers, learned my lesson after a couple of purchases and talking to other boardies. I try to grade conservatively and have had no complaints so far, but who knows... Maybe folks are grousing via pm about me too. It's not as bad here as Facebook groups. I finally ditched all but one group due to badly overpriced graded comics or badly graded raw comics.

I don't really pay attention to posted raw grades either. I would much rather have a nice sized picture or scan with any major interior defects stated. If I like the way it looks I really don't care what the technical grade is.

I've been hesitant to sell on the boards because even though I've spent a lot of time in the PGM thread and have a pretty good feel for assigning grades I think a lot of people can get too wrapped up in the grade assigned. Heck, people disagree with CGC grades all the time and they are the pros. I'd rather just post a nice big picture and let you make up your own mind but I know that's not the accepted way to do it around here. I have ordered the new Overstreet grading guide so maybe after I read that a few times I'll feel more comfortable posting here.

It's being going downhill for some time now.

It used to be one or two individuals, but it now appears that a decent percentage of sellers are clueless simpletons when it comes to grading.

It's a shame, but it was inevitable.

I've stopped buying from a few sellers, learned my lesson after a couple of purchases and talking to other boardies. I try to grade conservatively and have had no complaints so far, but who knows... Maybe folks are grousing via pm about me too. It's not as bad here as Facebook groups. I finally ditched all but one group due to badly overpriced graded comics or badly graded raw comics.

I joined a couple of facebook groups but removed myself after two weeks. Lots of drek, lots of over graded drek and many many arguments. Made me really appreciate the boards.

I must be getting old...

GET OFF MY LAWN!

at least the scans were big